Parents arent happy with my choice? Paying for it? Race?

integra144

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
integra144
One can skip straight to the bottom where my questions are if you don’t want to read the bind I’m in.
My parents don’t like me wanting to be a pilot. They continue to dissuade me with how insecure the job is, little pay one gets, race and the responsibilities involved. They want me to be an Accountant or Engineer as they feel it is secure, they have connections in the industry. One of my parents is an engineer and the other is an accountant; both at large corporations. Not trying to sound snobby or spoiled, but generally, because of our families relative high income they support me in everything I do or want (got a new Lexus truck this Christmas), but for Pilot school they won’t support it financially or as far as I can tell mentally. My sister wants to be a doctor and they support her 125%. And when I wanted to do Accounting they supported me 125%. They tell me if I want to do it I have pay for it myself which they know I can’t as I have never had a job, but I’m willing to find one. They will cosign the loan though.

They also brought up a good point, but it’s kind of racist. I was born in America making me full US citizens, but my parents are from Taiwan ROC; before also becoming US citizens some many years ago. Also they are your stereotypical Asian parents who mainly control their kid’s life; thinking they know best. They mentioned that there are no Asian pilots and being 5’6 I will never have chance. I told them that on this forum and others I was told the modern planes are fully adjustable because they try to fit all body types including women pilots. Then they talked about my race. Thinking on what they said I got to ask do Asian pilots exist? When flying from Boston to SFO connecting to Taipei on United the pilot was African American on the first leg and Caucasian on the second leg. And even when we took a Taiwanese carrier; I have never seen an Asian pilot flying for them only as a first officer sometimes. For the past three times flying Eva Airlines a Asian airlines from Newark to Taipei the pilot is always Caucasian only the flight attendants are of Asian decent.

MAIN QUESTIONS
What should I tell my parents to better understand what on want to do and be more accepting of it?
Do US Carriers higher 5’6 Asian complexion pilots? Born and raised in America J
How am I supposed to pay for it? I was estimated $30,000. Also they say I still have to get decent grades being a fulltime college student in Accounting.

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering is not a secure job. We are off shoring development so fast. Mostly to Asia where we can pay Malaysian, Chinese, Taiwanese engineers much less than what we pay in America. Simply look at all the off shore research centers that the Fortune 100 are creating and you can see this. So don't fall for that story from your folks.

MAIN QUESTIONS
What should I tell my parents to better understand what on want to do and be more accepting of it?
Tell it is what you want to do, what you have a passsion for, and ask them to support you in your choices and not inflict their dreams onto you.
Do US Carriers higher 5’6 Asian complexion pilots? Born and raised in America
Sure, why the heck wouldn't they.
How am I supposed to pay for it? I was estimated $30,000.
Work, join the military. Right now the USCG is short pilots. Get talking to them and get in.

Also they say I still have to get decent grades being a fulltime college student in Accounting.

Thanks
Getting good grades is always a good choice. It will help you later if you decide to go to grad school. Even if you don't stay in accounting.

Follow your parents request and get a degree in something other then aviation. It's never bad to have a fall back, even if you never use it.

There should be no problems with size on any plane that I know of.

Finding the Money for Aviation is always a problem, and I have no suggestions except maybe accounting. ; )

Having an Asian complexion may help if you're not picky about living in America. One of the biggest growth areas in Aviation is China... they may prefer your complexion specially if you can also speak the language.

Do you speak Chinese fluently? If so, there is definitely a need for fluent bi-lingual Asian pilots. Youtube and the like have several videos of asian pilots with poor english skills causing confusion and problems at major airports. If you had your ATP you would be welcomed at those airlines (everything else being equal).

If I were you I would try to strike a deal with your parents. Remember, having a non-aviation profession to fall back on is more than a good idea. It will really help you when aviation turns ugly. So the deal is: Tell your parents you are ready to go to college and study hard at (name your major here). But you have a passion for flying, and you want to explore it as a career with the confidence that you can always fall back on your degree if aviation doesn't work. So can you go to a school that has a good flying program as well as a good (your major) program? And will they support your dream just as you support their dream?

Good luck! -Skip

Even if you become a pilot, having a degree is essential. You'll have something to fall back on during the next "bust" cycle.

BTW (Attention Nick!) the news this morning had an article as to how "pilot" as a profession was seen as being in the top 5 in terms of attracting the opposite sex... right up there with CEO and firefighter...

BTW (Attention Nick!) the news this morning had an article as to how "pilot" as a profession was seen as being in the top 5 in terms of attracting the opposite sex... right up there with CEO and firefighter...
Well Nick seems to hit a lot being a telemarketer. I just always wonder if they hit back ?? :D:D

N1idhitit.gif
smash.gif

race really shouldn't be a problem. im pretty sure aviation has caught up to at least the late 20th century

Two of my four roommates at flight school were Asian. I've not heard what happened to Brent, but Gary flies RJs for ExpressJet now. He left an INCREDIBLY lucrative job as an engineer to go fly. Here's his blog, if you're interested. The airlines couldn't care less what you look like (and if they do, they're gonna be in some trouble with the EOE police).

Like everyone else has said...getting a degree in something other than aviation is a really good idea. My mother hated (hates) the idea of me flying, but if you want it bad enough (and you bug your parents enough) and can provide them with good reasons (not just "it's cool") they'll come around. Sure the starting pay is bad, but it improves. And if it's something you really want, you should go for it...trust me, the flying bug won't go away no matter how hard you try to ignore it!

Shorter pilots, I'm given to understand, handle high-g maneuvers better than taller pilots.

As far as race is concerned...it isn't.

If you really want to fly, their lack of financial support shouldn't stop you - it will just make you appreciate it when you "get there" all the more.

Sell the Lexus, buy a Honda, use the price difference to pay for your ratings. :)

Get a degree in something you find interesting that will give you alternate outlets, should a career in aviation fail.

Another option for you is to go ahead and try to get a lucrative job, and then keep flying as a hobby. There are certainly plenty of people who do this, and you can do a lot of good charitable work with angel flights and the like. Those are things that you can do with your passion that make a difference, but you also can't expect to do them without enough income to support. That's more the direction I want to go with aviation personally.

But if it's what you want to do professionally, then go for it. You should do something that you enjoy doing. I happen to be an engineer, and certainly enjoy it plenty well. My friends who have made careers out of being accountants have told methat they enjoy it, too.

Have them see what's being said about the burgeoning pilot shortage, especially at the FAA Forecasting Conference in DC next month.
Absolutely -- in fact, they're under pressure to increase diversity.

How am I supposed to pay for it? I was estimated $30,000.
That's another problem. Scholarships can help, but they are generally limited. Unless your parents have the money and are willing to shell it out, you're talking loans.

Also they say I still have to get decent grades being a fulltime college student in Accounting.
Good for them. I firmly support a "no grades, no fly" policy.

Thanks

Tell that to Dr. Bruce...
I was thinking that too!

I will, however, observe that pilots, at least the ones I'm familiar with are predominantly white males (Leslie being an exception to both of those, and Bruce to one of them).

How much of that is self-selection, I don't know. We are somewhat more gender-diverse here on PoA than I've seen in general recreational flying. I've heard anecdotally that ERAU is over 90% male. So we definitely have a ways to go in that regard.

But I'll also admit that at most pilot gatherings I've been to there haven't been many non-Caucasians. I don't think that it's a matter of discrimination, however, but self-selection and marketing. We need more pilots, be they Caucasian, Asian, Intuit, African, whatever! Race doesn't matter (though ability to speak English does.) So go for it, get that pilot certificate, and help bring the statistics back in line with the population!

And, if you're interested, start an Asian Pilots Association! I didn't find one in a quick Google search, though I'm familiar with a number of them for other under-represented groups. If you DO find one, it might be a good source for scholarship money if you can't sell the Lexus or convince your parents!

I agree with all of the above, and also agree that you might work the "Asian angle" to some advantage, as China in particular is showing significant growth in aviation (to wit Cessna opening plants there).
Hard to say where that's headed, or what advantage you might have, but it's a growing market, and they will need pilots.
Despite being a white boy of Euro descent, I know Chinese and Taiwanese are two different things (and don't mix very well most of the time), but... it's a thought. But if you don't want to have anything to do with the PRC, I can understand that.

So in short, rather than fret about whether or not you'll fit in on routes in the Midwest or whatever (although I agree it shouldn't be a problem), you might consider exploring international avenues where your background and (I'm assuming) bilingual skills could be a big asset.

But again, times are changin' here in the USA... in the last two years as I travel with the airlines, I've seen at least one Asian FO and an Asian captain on various flights with the majors.

Thinking on what they said I got to ask do Asian pilots exist?
:confused: Yeah, I've gotta say they do because I am one of them. All four of my grandparents were from Japan. That might be a surprise to people here who haven't met me though.

I choose to not make it an issue. At all. I'm also female but I choose not to make that an issue either. I don't think it has hurt (or helped) my career as a pilot in any way, but I have no way of proving that.

I can understand what you are saying about the stereotypical Asian parents although, luckily, mine were not. "Pilot" is not on the list of high-achieving approved occupations. I also understand that it may be harder for you, culturally, to break away from what your parents want you to do since you are the first generation here in this country. I don't know what advice to give you other than it's going to be your life, not your parents' in the end. I would tell you to respect their opinion and understand where it comes from but don't live your life for them. As far as being Asian, I don't think anyone really cares other than it being a little bit of a novelty in the beginning. Just remember never to wear a chip on your shoulder because of it. Conversely, don't let it make you feel inferior.

:confused: Yeah, I've gotta say they do because I am one of them. All four of my grandparents were from Japan. That might be a surprise to people here who haven't met me though.

I choose to not make it an issue. At all. I'm also female but I choose not to make that an issue either. I don't think it has hurt (or helped) my career as a pilot in any way, but I have no way of proving that.

Not an issue, true. I knew you were female, but this is the first reference to race. No biggie.

To the original poster, you've received a lot of good advice here. I'm an engineer, too. And I work for a company that has moved a lot of design work off-shore. Fortunately I have a specialty that is rare enough and sufficiently in demand that they keep me. Although, I do wind up off-shore a lot myself (just got home from the EU last night). :p Flying is fun thing for me. If you make flying a career, be flexible. I'm sure the pros here can tell their share of stories. The husband of a friend at church is an FO for Northwest. Not the first airline he's been with, and they haven't always lived in the US, either. A degree in something other than aviation is always good. And, I keep hearing that the airlines want you to have a degree anyway.

Whatever you do in life, make sure it's something you enjoy. I can think of nothing worse than being stuck in a job (career) that you hate.

Let me add another thought regarding a degree outside aviation. I was all set to go get all my certificates/ratings out of high school. My whole life's(albeit relatively short at that point) passion was to be a commercial pilot. Shortly after college started, I found out I had a brain tumor - BAM, MEDICAL GONE OVERNIGHT! I finished a degree in psychology, but knew aviation was all I wanted to do. It took 9 years, and with the help of some others, a lot of nagging to OKC (medical division of FAA) to get my midecal back. During my grounding, I still had the passion to be invovled in aviation, so I got my dispatcher certificate - money wasn't great to begin with, but it kept me doing what I wanted to be doing (kinda).

Anways, long story short (too late I guess), you have to do what you want, and are passionate about, or it's just miserable going to work everyday...however, a good backup to flying that you enjoy is certainly a must...You just never know what hand you will be dealt.

Now that I have my medical back, the tough part is convincing my wife that it's a good move to leave a good paying job to make $17k and be gone 20 days a month flying a b-1900 in the mountains!

Last edited:
Just remember never to wear a chip on your shoulder because of it. Conversely, don't let it make you feel inferior.

Probably some of the best advice I've ever heard anyone give to someone else. You should never feel superior or inferior to anyone else based on what you are.

Mari, you're absolutely right on something else - having never met you I'm surprised to find out you're from Asian descent (Ric just told me you were beautiful and female... that's as much of a description I have of you)! It's just never come up because you're right, it isn't a big deal.

There is no such thing as a secure job. Job security is an illusion that most Americans lull themselves into believing, apparently your parents included. The only thing that can be secure is your ability to leave the cave, kill something, and drag it home.

With that being said, they are right on the pay. Under current situations, if you finance things yourself, it would be real easy to get out of school with 60,000+ in student loans if you pursue a 4 year degree and a pilots license together. You'd then only be able to expect to make the low 20K range for the first few (2-4) years. That doesn't make for much of a lifestyle or give you much traction elsewhere. I consider those circumstances to be an absolute crime given the knowledge and skill it takes to be a pilot. That's why I chose to a career where I could start in the 50K range am a pilot as a hobby. I still may make a second career as a pilot some day.

There are those who have the passion to be a pilot and if you're one of them, go for it. Just be prepared to sacrifice. That lifestyle isn't what it used to be. I've had several friends from my High school and College years with the desire to fly. Half of them are still making peanuts as pilots, the other half took other career paths (some of them aviation related).

Last edited:
MAIN QUESTIONS
How am I supposed to pay for it? I was estimated $30,000. Also they say I still have to get decent grades being a fulltime college student in Accounting.

Thanks

Well, I'm 5'8 and Asian. Yo Yo MA is 5'8 and Asian. Both he and I, as well as you, face the challenges of wanting to pursue nontraditional occupations as First Generation Immigrant sons and duaghters. In 1971 I had the opportunity to become a symphony musician. I was Pretty GOOD. My dad NIXED that. My younger sister is a professor of medicine. My older is a retired physician. Get the picture?

Now that I'm gray, my observation is of a great irony: Had I not done what I subsequently did (Medical School) I would not have been able to finance two daughters at topnotch private universities, simultaneously.

Yes there are 5'6 Asian pilots. Some of them work for 121 carriers, FedEx and the like. But had I continued with that occupation (post a SE Asian war) I wouldn't have the richness of experience that I obtained this way. I'm a Flight Surgeon, an active CFI, a Journalist (see column in "Twin and Turbine") and I get to fly when and how I want. There is NO security in this world. Only what you are prepared to do next.

It's even worse if you are a firstborn son. To that I simply say, "Oh well". But your parents DO have wisdom (and fears), too. It think the Ramen noodles would have gotten very tiresome around my 28th year or so....

Locally, I have a mentee, now turning 30, who is giving up his dream to fly part 121. He has a fine part 141 education and a Bachelors' degree. He was a pipeline patrol pilot (VFR low and slow), and made the call to not fly one very marginal day. He was fired. He and his wife have a second one on the way....so he's going to the FAA ATC academy. Life does supervene and eventually it subsumes you.

More distantly I have a 30 y.o mentee who has been frozen in the right seat at American Eagle for five years. Works 24 days/month, makes $27,000 with garbage for benefits. She's wanting her family soon, but can't see how that's going to happen.

My dad wrote his memoirs. I couldn't for many years understand why his father had 11 jobs in 10 years. Turns out, China at that time was like Afghanistan is now. About every 14 months, the warlord disappeared. New Warlord. New job. In Asia, if you do not have a good position, the distance between you and being a beggar is pretty small pretty quick. In America this used not to be the case, but is increasingly becoming so in this world economy.

Whatever and however you decide to do, just remember: Life will subsume you. And this is what your parents see.....

My call: Go to a state university. SIU, in Carbondale, IL, or UND, or the like. Major in something marketable and NONAVIATION. Acquire all your ratings on the side. Then you will have options and will NOT have to eat too much Ramen. Best of all, get a good bargain so that you are not carrying much debt. That'll kill all future choices.

Last edited:
There's a line from a song in Oklahoma that goes "I ain't saying I'm better than anybody else, but I'll be danged if I ain't just as good!"

Several of those Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals had prejudice as an underlying theme. It is part of the human psyche, unfortunately.

As far as being Asian, I don't think anyone really cares other than it being a little bit of a novelty in the beginning. Just remember never to wear a chip on your shoulder because of it. Conversely, don't let it make you feel inferior.

As a parent that had a son that had "different" dreams than we did for him.
We didn't always financially support him either till he PROVED it would be long term. In one semester he went from Soccer star to wrestling then track.
Eventually he found his calling and we supported him and still do in every way.
Show your parents you are serious about flying and that you will have a back up plan (degree in something non aviation) and they might start to come around a little more.

Mark B.

When you go for your discovery flight tomorrow, ask the folks at EFA to hook you up with the applications they have for scholarships. There are a bunch of local scholarships for flying......anywhere from $500 up to a few grand.

You'd then only be able to expect to make the low 20K range for the first few (2-4) years. That doesn't make for much of a lifestyle or give you much traction elsewhere. I consider those circumstances to be an absolute crime given the knowledge and skill it takes to be a pilot.

That's not entirely accurate. I'm a first year FO (don't hit second year pay until April) flying a turbo-prop for one of the smallest regionals in the country - basically I'm the lowest of the low (ask any RJ pilot). At my six month anniversary with the company I had netted just a shade under $15k (14.6, to be exact, plus full bennies). And that includes my 6 weeks of training. I work hard, but I'm not a workaholic. I'm home most nights with my fiance and we live fairly comfortably. My base pay is $19-21k, but it's almost impossible to make only the base...you'd have to work harder to get less than 75 hrs a month.

Don't get me wrong, the pay is horrible for what the job is, but it's not as bad as most people think.

Second year Captains on the Beech here make a base of $33k a year. Bigger airplane/more years here...more money.

And pretty much every other company pays more than we do.

Don't let the pay get you down too much, it's more livable than you think.

I included a couple of years of flight instruction/time building jobs in there. I guess you could get to a carrier in 18 months after minting the CFI and Commercial ratings, but you'd have to fly alot. 4 years with a carrier and you should get out of the 20's for sure. I included pre scheduled airline jobs.

I have a friend that's a FO with a regional. I think he took home 14K this year after uniforms, union dues, taxes, etc...

First of all, allow me to quote David Crosby, "...doing everything that's not allowed, life didn't come with a warranty..." .(from the song "Too Young to Die")

The next thing, is obvious- do both! From a school such as EmbryRiddle, get a degree in Aviation Engineering. Careers within the industry, be it private sector or government contractor, are still in pretty high demand. And while you are getting that degree, you "just happened" to learn to fly...

The degree from ERAU is highly regarded in both the pilot AND the engineering worlds.... It's not a cheap school, but it might serve you well in both circumstances.

At the completion of that degree, it will be up to you to determine which path to take...

Good luck with your decisions and your future!

Shorter pilots, I'm given to understand, handle high-g maneuvers better than taller pilots.

As far as race is concerned...it isn't.
This is true. In fact, short stocky fighter pilots will handle maneuvers much better than tall, lanky pilots. The military demonstration pilots do not use G-suits. You can bet those small guys have a lot of advantage over their taller peers.

As far as Asian pilots, we have two CFIs at my school who are Asian. One is Korean while the other is of Chinese descent. Charles was born and raised here but given his folks spoke Chinese as he grew up, he still has an accent. But, his skills are top notch and I credit him as an instructor in helping me get past a few hurdles toward becoming a CFI.

As far as a degree beyond flying... by all means. Get one. You're going to do two things which you'll be thankful for later in life. First, you'll have an education to fall back on in case the bottom does fall out of aviation. It's not likely in the foreseeable future but it can happen. Second, you'll honor your parents wishes. This is something that will stay with you long after they have passed.

MAIN QUESTIONS

Thanks

First why do they have to pay for what you want?

Parents are not obligated to pay for anything. They can support you, but they do not have to pay for something they do not want to. My oldest son quit college after 2 weeks to get married. For my second son I took a different route. I had him pay for the first half of each year and I paid for the second half. Worked out much better. He graduated. If this is something you want show your parents you are serious and get a loan, get a job, then see if they will payoff the loan for you. You need to work for what you want. In the end you will be much happier and it will mean so much more.

Dan

Integra, I found an article I think would be good for you to read. It's old, sort of. I'm finally up to July 2007 in catching up on old periodicals I receive. But there's no shortage of information to learn so I keep reading them without skipping a single issue.

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/members/ft_magazine/archives/article.cfm?article=6001

I think this is a free area of AOPA. If you can't get to it, copy the link to me in a private message along with your email address. I'll print it to a PDF file and send that your way.

It's titled:

Three Wise Men

Love the job and be prepared, they say

It will give you some great insight.

Ken​

MAIN QUESTIONS
A) What should I tell my parents to better understand what on want to do and be more accepting of it?

B) Do US Carriers higher 5’6 Asian complexion pilots? Born and raised in America J

C) How am I supposed to pay for it? I was estimated $30,000. Also they say I still have to get decent grades being a fulltime college student in Accounting.

Thanks

A) Come across serious and resolute. Not arguementative, pleading or whiny.

B) Yes, so will the US Navy and Air Force (as well as their Academy programs which you may want to consider along with ROTC at other universities). There is plenty of opportunity for a 5'6 person of Asian ancestory.

C) Sell that Lexus truck you got for Christmas, buy a $1500 Honda econo cruiser, and spend the remainder flying. This sum should be able to get your training wrapped up thru the CFI point if you play it right. It is also the kind of sacrafice that will show your determination to your parents, makes them take stock that "This is not a phase you will get over".

Now that I'm gray...

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Oh wait, I misread it. Never mind. :D

integra144, it's a tough spot for a young man. I'm on the other side of the fence with a 20 year old son. You're getting some great advice from the folks here who know what it's like to make a living in aviation. In short, get a degree and work on your ratings on the side. It's not easy and there will probably be lots of Roman noodles in your future, but it's possible.

In the end it's your life, not your parents'. You can still honor them, respect them, and be grateful to them while following your own dreams. It might mean you get less financial support from them - or no financial support at all, but I seriously doubt (no matter how mad they seem) you'll lose their respect and emotional support by following your own dreams.

In the words of Don Henley, "How bad do you want it?"

There are many ways to skin the cat in aviation. I was in your shoes when I was younger. My parents had the exact same view. Well except for the Asian thing. My parents made a lot of money. I had a 23ft Nitro bass boat, 1976 Corvette, 1979 Firebird, a crotch rocket, and a 1981 Chevy truck. Granted this was in the early 90’s. They would NOT support me in aviation. They even had me talk to a fellow friend that was a CFI and had him talk me out of it. Nice. The friend did leave me a loophole in the discussion. He said that if I was to go to college and get in a program that was out side of aviation, with passing grades the first year, he would teach me to fly in his aircraft without the CFI pay.

So, I sat down and really thought about how bad I wanted it. I dreamed of this since I was eight. I sold all the cars except for the truck and boat and went to college. Came back the first summer and got my private. I eventually sold the boat to help expenses to move to Tulsa. Remember parents were not going to help. I ended up with a Computer Science degree, which landed me a lot of job offers. I picked the one, which would be the best area to learn about aviation. Which at that time, was Tulsa. I was making enough money that I decided I could do it faster and cheap in Part 61. So, that was what I did. I went from private to CFI with MEI in just under three years.

I had a great wife that was used to not having money. I on the other hand wasn’t. So I gave her the checkbook and told her to let me know when I can spend. I know all the old timers here and the divorcees will scoff that this, but it worked for us. So I quit my good stable computer job and started CFI’ing full time.

Now I am not Greg and flying a 777 for united but my little Citations and Lears were fun. However, I enjoyed the King Air the most. Odd. It just comes down to how bad do you want it. Can you live without your toys? I have them now, but it took a while. I do have options now if my current job turns south. Do I head for the airlines? Do I head for fractionals? Do I head out of Aviation? :( Who knows. You only get one spin at this world, you might as well have fun with it. Heck I am even supporting a 2 year old now. You just have to put back money incase something happens. That can happen in any industry except for maybe Pharmacy. We always need drugs!

Last edited:
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']all the response it has been overwhelming in a good way, this forum has really helped me inspire in sticking to becoming a pilot. Sometimes with negativity about the career from people around you it causes you to question if the career is for you. But after reading the responses from this forum it has really helped me understand that I think this something which I really want to do. Today is my introductory flight in the afternoon. I will post about when I have completed? Thanks very much[/FONT]

Figure out what you love and then do what you love.

The first part is much harder to accomplish then the second part but until you accomplish the first part you will never be able to attempt the second.

The only contribution I received from my parents' during my college education was love, support, a place to stay with meals when school was out, and financial help of a couple grand for one semester when my loans and grants wouldn't cover the balance.

Not a car,

Not tuition or fees, or books,

No spending money.

I got a job, scholarships and loans for all of it except for that one semester. Ditto for grad school.

Not to criticize, but if you want to do what you want to do, go forth and find your way. It ain't easy, but then again it isn't supposed to be :cheerswine:

The first part is much harder to accomplish then the second part but until you accomplish the first part you will never be able to attempt the second.

I think I read that in a fortune cookie once. A really big fortune cookie. :goofy:

I am not too far from being 60, but I still take a rather dim view of the things parents try to do to stop their children from following their own muses. I would predict that, all-in-all, it is quite possible you won't be able to sway them, regardless of your arguments. Good luck on that, and great news if you do change their minds. I speak from some experience, as I left home at 17 due to my own parents' close-mindedness as to what I wanted out of life. I went on through high school and university, on my own and with great financial difficulty, and on to all my pilot ratings to ATP, and I've been working as a pilot and/or CFI for many years. It can be done. I basically told my parents to shove off and went out and did it. If there is an easier way for you to do what you want, take it, but do it one way or the other.

That being said, after being in the aviation industry a long time now, I would suggest your getting the degree first, in whatever area you decide. Easiest route is to take the parents' money for this, as they've offered anyway, then, degree safely in hand, go ahead and begin flying. This is the easiest way, though it means delaying the flying by several years. If they argue against flying, once you are graduated and have a paycheck, then you can tell them to shove it, however lovingly or not so you desire. It is also possible that you could get your private pilot certification during college, if you can scrape up the funds, and do so on the sly. Then you'd be ready to roll as soon as graduation, particularly if you get yourself a job with a decent enough paycheck. It might drive you nuts to have to wait that long [of course it will], though it may be the only way, I don't know.

Caveat: it took my parents five years or so to come around after I left home. By that time, they had little, really, to argue about as I'd not only finished high school but university [six yr.] and never was offered or took a cent from them for it. Starvation years, but it got done. I mention this only as a warning that some parents take a dim view toward their child going his own way and it can estrange you for a while. Only you can decide whether you can handle that one.

But remember that *sometimes* doing what you love as your profession will take away the joy and much of your love for same. So my advice would be to find both a profession and a corporate culture where your love for the work will continue to exist.

Think of it this way: Would you continue to love your SO/spouse if you had to go to work and work side-by-side every single day? Most people can't do that.

Choose well, and think it through.

Back