Parade of excuses... ;)

T Bone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
T Bone
Okay, let's hear it. If ya' didn't fly today, why not? Might've been weather (perfect here today), or work, or your Aunt's dog was sick..... just curious, why not? I'll start :p .

I made the mistake of listening to the weather guessers and doing my (lack of) planning too early in the week. Called for thunderstorms Sat. and Sun. (none developed, though it was pretty bumpy yesterday according to the airport crew). So by the time I realised we had several Michiganians heading for Y91, a nice looking 140 NM, and checked the rental schedule at the airport, they had no planes to reserve. I do however, have a 152 with my name on it for the entire morning tomorrow (pancakes at KYIP with Yankee Air Force, and a short Xc to somewhere......). But then of course, they're now calling for.... thunderstorms! :lightning:

1. Crappy wx
2. Back ache

I'm sorry. I have to report that I did fly today. And yesterday. And the day before. It has been a great couple of days. At least until I get the bills. Flew into Baltimore International right after the rain storms Friday and Saturday. Today, took an instructor, my wife, and another pilot buddy to Salisbury for a bushel of crabs and then practiced landing the twin on a soft field. great fun. ;)

My apologies, you didn't get to go.:(

Bryon

I didn't fly today even though it was another ideal flying day. Flying at least once everyday for the last four days and flying at least twice tomorrow and several X/C in the near future the home projects were not being completed.

I was at my mom's today with my kids (I now only see them on the weekends). Perfect weather, but the club C-172 is a 2 hour drive from my mom's house. I am now at my trailer, but it is still a 45 minute drive from here. One of these weekends, I am going to break down and schedule the Skyhawk to fly down to Warsaw airport, my hometown where my mom lives. Then, I just might have to fly to points south, around the Springfield area. Anyone living in that direction now has fair warning......

Didn't fly today due to weather. Did fly two hours yesterday and check ride is scheduled for Wednesday morning!:) Not too nervous now but wait till Tuesday night.:hairraise:

Gary Turner

I arrived home from Shanghai last night at 1:10 AM, which, BTW, is 1:10 PM Shanghai time. Understandably I bounced off the walls until about 5 AM and then fell asleep, only to be awakened at 8 AM by the sunlight blasting through my bedroom window. I thought about flying today, but I just didn't feel my sleep deprived brain was up to the task.

Tomorrow is another day.

gturner said:
Didn't fly today due to weather. Did fly two hours yesterday and check ride is scheduled for Wednesday morning!:) Not too nervous now but wait till Tuesday night.:hairraise:

Gary Turner

What checkride is that? I guess it doesn't matter.

1: medical out of date
2: BFR out of date
3: no airplane
4: fbo doesn't remember me
5: scrounging for A&P school
6: must move real soon (need land NOW)
7: unreliable income
It was also raining this afternoon - FINALLY!!!! but was still flyable (new england VFR = colorado hard 0/0 IMC)

I didn't fly today because I went out partying last night, seeing as how there was supposed to be thunderstorms.

There were clouds, no thunderstorms, and I had a hangover...sigh

Airspeed and turn and bank out for overhaul. Due back Tuesday. Of course supposed to rain rest of week. Natch.
Ron

NickDBrennan said:
I didn't fly today because I went out partying last night, seeing as how there was supposed to be thunderstorms.

There were clouds, no thunderstorms, and I had a hangover...sigh

No drinking within 50 feet. It sounds like you are cleared to go.

L10MAN said:
Airspeed and turn and bank out for overhaul. Due back Tuesday. Of course supposed to rain rest of week. Natch.
Ron

Needle not required. "Partial panel" for the A/S. Good to go.

Already had plans today for some x-c driving and shopping.

Thought about a lunch flight to Sedona tomorrow but the flying fund was depleted with another lens purchase (this stuff is addictive) and the winds have been pretty high lately. I'm comfortable with them but the wife was talking about going and there is no way I'm taking her to the HMS Sedona with more than 10kts.

Brian Austin said:
Already had plans today for some x-c driving and shopping.

Thought about a lunch flight to Sedona tomorrow but the flying fund was depleted with another lens purchase (this stuff is addictive) and the winds have been pretty high lately. I'm comfortable with them but the wife was talking about going and there is no way I'm taking her to the HMS Sedona with more than 10kts.

Which one this time???

No excuse needed for me today :D

Iceman said:
Which one this time???
Tamron 28-75/2.8 (the new one). I wanted something to replace the 18-55 kit lens for walkaround shooting. Closest Canon lens was major bucks compared to this one. I'm pretty pleased with it so far but it's only been a day. :D

Next one is either a 12-24 or the new Canon EFS 10-22. Then a 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverter and a Speedlite 580ex flash. I'm set for a while after that....maybe. ;)

My excuse could have been a pesky starter. But I didn't let it be... went out to the airport with my Dad and his trusty VOM to load test the battery whilst cranking the starter, then managed to start the engine and took him up flying for about a half hour. It wasn't exactly a smooth ride, and the winds on final were squirrely enough, but he didn't seem to notice... I think he enjoyed it. :D

Liz

Iceman said:
Which one this time???

No excuse needed for me today :D

Hey, wait a second...it was me that did the flying. :rofl:

Weather
Daughter's first piano recital.
Thank goodness for the bad weather. I havn't seen my plane in 45 days.......

N2212R said:
Hey, wait a second...it was me that did the flying. :rofl:

Hey if I'm in the air I'm flying!!!

Good flying by the way...good thing that crazy 150 did not try to turn your plane and his into a single biplane :)

Last edited:
Iceman said:
Hey if I'm in the air I'm flying!!!

Good flying by the way...good thing that crazy 150 did not try to turn your plane and his into a single biplane :)

Sheesh. No kidding. How close were those trees really?

No excuse, did fly yesterday! :) Smoketown had it's Pancake Breakfast Fly-in. Well attended and contray to the weather reports, no thunderstorms in sight! Heading back up to the airport for some routine maintenance and maybe a circuit around the pattern. Looks like another beautiful day today.

1. Yucky weather all weekend.
2. The Redhead's in Denver (Special Olympics Nationals)
3. The plane is in Lubbock, TX
4. The engine is in Richardson, TX
:mad:

1. $
2. $
3. $
4. convective outlook
5. icky sore throat/fever

But I did finally get to fly last Wednesday for the first time since 3 April. :D

Terry

I didnt' fly because, well, I flew my ass off last week. I needed some time off. Now if you were my wife asking it would be different. Then, I didnt fly b/c it was my six year wedding anniversery and we were out at the lake on her boss's 40' SeaRay and playing with WaveRunners.

Brent

In the shop for three related fuel system SBs and to pre-empt the AD on the heater cutoff valve, as well as for the upcoming (not yet released but AOPA is rolling on this one) nosegear track and actuator AD. Sigh.

I had the long over due list of chores which seems to get longer and longer. There will be more days to play hooky and fly.

John J

Don't need an excuse. Took Cathy and Sean to see Star Wars yesterday, then went out to the airport for some landing practice. Only got .6, but got 3 landings in and had a lot of fun. Cathy let Sean sit up front, so he got to fly the Skyhawk on downwind. Cathy shot her takeoff and landing videos from the back seat, which worked better than we expected. Wind couldn't make up it's mind, wind sock kept going back and forth between runway 6 and 24, or sticking out in a direct crosswind. We waited a bit before taking off to let a dark cloud get from above us in the bet that when it went, the heavy winds would to. They did, but didn't settle down as far as gustiness and direction went. AWOS said five knots from 300 every time I listened to it. Meantime, the windsock never pointed the same direction from one second to the next, and was either limp or sticking out. I figure we had 10 or 12 knots, and sometimes none. In other words, no viscious winds, but enough to make me work for it. A perfect day for good landing practice, lots of fun, and for some reason Sean never uttered a word about the bumps, despite the fact that we hit a couple doozies. Visibility was waaay more than the 5 miles that was being reported. I watched him while we were flying, and if he wasn't doing anything else he was looking straight down. For his Daddy, that's a sure ticket to unhappiness. It makes me airsick in a Cessna, because I'm scared of heights. I'll bet that's what his issue is, too. We'll do like we did yesterday, and keep him busy.

We've had a good weekend. For some reason I answered a telemarketer's call Saturday, and we accepted an invitation to go look at a time share in the Poconos. We resisted temptation and didn't buy in, but did get a bunch of free goodies, and even got a gas card to pay for our gas and a gift certificate to Red Lobster for our dinner, so we had a free day Saturday. On the way home, we drove through Valley Forge and talked to Sean a little bit about what this weekend is really all about.

Yesterday, Star Wars (fantastic movie!) and flying. Today, we slept till noon, and are trying to come up with something to do. I think we are going to go walk through King of Prussia mall, a huge facililty. More free fun :)

Tonight, we'll put the boy to bed early, and Cathy and I will reflect on Memorial Day. I have fallen comrades to toast, and to thank for the freedom they paid for.

Last edited:
IPC scheduled tomorrow morning. Spending today at home.... 20 flight hours last weekend...

Carol said:
2. Back ache

:(

Is it better today Carol?

My excuse: The Citabria is minus the muffler; had to mail it off.

So we went down to our little seven acre lake on the far end of the farm two days in a row and caught about 50 bass, but only kept about 20. Good eatin; fried in corn meal batter. Yummmmmmm.

We had a Husky fly in to visit today. Dang, I should have asked for a ride......what was I thinking? :dunno:

Ok, here goes my excuse(s). First of all I came down with a really bad cold a few weeks ago, I doubt I have to tell anyone here what it's like to fly with stuffed up sinuses. Then two weeks ago, while shopping at Home Depot, a 14 ft. length of base board molding slid off the edge of the rack it should have been inside of and fell 4 feet landing on my right big toe breaking it. For the past two weeks it's been hard to press on the gas pedal of my car let alone the toe breaks on an aircraft.

In addition to the above I underwent hand surgery on Friday to remove a ganglion cyst that was the result of an old injury. I doubt I'll be flying for a few weeks yet.

Last year I only flew 16 hours because of a rather intense work schedule and home remodeling project. I'm hoping to rectify that situation this year.

Happy Flying to all,

Jeannie

N2212R said:
Sheesh. No kidding. How close were those trees really?

Any closer and I would have been cleaning your right seat today :D

T Bone said:
I made the mistake of listening to the weather guessers and doing my (lack of) planning too early in the week. Called for thunderstorms Sat. and Sun. (none developed, though it was pretty bumpy yesterday according to the airport crew). :lightning:

Too bad, it was actually not very bumpy at all. I chose the closer JXN pancake run (but it's over 50 NM from Troy so I got the xc time) and there wasn't a single bump on the way there. On the way home there was some continous light from JXN to about I-23 but the rest of the way to Troy was fairly smooth. Not at all a bad day.

I skiped flying today. Had to work around the house finishing off the skirt for the deck and other gardening fun....

How was the short hop to Willow run?

You know, I need some pratice holding heading and alt & tracking VOR's under the hood... want to play saftey pilot next weekend?

Missa

Sorry folks but I flew saturday and today. Great flight to Cape Cod from Philly and back awsome flights good mental work out and finally some decent weather. I'll post about it in flight following!:yes:

1-hold 2-ils,s. change pilots, partner flew 1ils 1-vor 1loc logged 2hrs, Going to west virginia Wednesday in the Mooney that will be 4.5 then skydivers Friday night into the James Dean fest in Marion In and again Sat should get about 10hrs in this week.
Life is Good
Joe

Back