Parade of excuses... ;)

My wife and I flew to Norfolk, VA, on Friday to meet the new granddaughter and returned yesterday. 5.1 hrs going (good tail wind - 200 GS) and 6.1 returning. Got about 1 hour actual on the return as we flew through rain just before our refueling stop at Ohio State University. Turned a new page in the log book, hit over 300 hrs total and over 250 hrs PIC. My longest XC to date.

Joe Williams said:
Cathy shot her takeoff and landing videos from the back seat, which worked better than we expected.

Can you post video on your webpage? I'd like some T&G's. :yes:

Frank Browne said:
Can you post video on your webpage? I'd like some T&G's. :yes:

I've not been able to figure out how to do so. I think I'm going to have to take the whole thing down and start over. :( It's something I certainly want to figure out, because I love the videos. None of T&Gs, though... I don't like them. I do full stop and taxi backs.

Actually, given the size of the video files, I've been thinking about just paying for a larger website. Something I'll not be doing until after I get back from the vacation we are taking next week. Going to hit AOPA's Open House in Frederick, then drive on down to Myrtle Beach to spend a week visiting my Mom.

Brian Austin said:
Tamron 28-75/2.8 (the new one). I wanted something to replace the 18-55 kit lens for walkaround shooting. Closest Canon lens was major bucks compared to this one. I'm pretty pleased with it so far but it's only been a day. :D

Next one is either a 12-24 or the new Canon EFS 10-22. Then a 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverter and a Speedlite 580ex flash. I'm set for a while after that....maybe. ;)

Tamron?? TAMRON???

*sigh*

I was at a wedding recently. Photographer had a Nikon D2X and Tamron glass on the front. Ferrari body, Yugo motor.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Tamron?? TAMRON???

*sigh*

I was at a wedding recently. Photographer had a Nikon D2X and Tamron glass on the front. Ferrari body, Yugo motor.

Cheers,

-Andrew
You might be surprised. This $400 lens is very nice, often compared to the $1100 Canon near equivalent (24-70L).

I'll lean toward Canon in most cases but have a hard time paying an extra $700 for a lens that isn't considered as sharp as the Tamron, especially at the high end. The Sigma equivalent isn't getting particularly stellar reviews, either.

I wish Canon would come out with a "in-between" body to compete with the D2X. Canon goes from the 20D to the 1DS Mark II...a $1500 to $7000 jump. I tried one, though. It's darned heavy.

Brian Austin said:
You might be surprised. This $400 lens is very nice, often compared to the $1100 Canon near equivalent (24-70L).

I'll lean toward Canon in most cases but have a hard time paying an extra $700 for a lens that isn't considered as sharp as the Tamron, especially at the high end. The Sigma equivalent isn't getting particularly stellar reviews, either.

I wish Canon would come out with a "in-between" body to compete with the D2X. Canon goes from the 20D to the 1DS Mark II...a $1500 to $7000 jump. I tried one, though. It's darned heavy.

Really? I'll admit I just read photo.net; I avoid the rags like the plauge. I should probably see what the folks at dpreview.com have to say nowadays.

The lack of a good, middle range SLR body does stink. However, the Nikon D100 isn't so bad; and the Pentax *istDS isn't so bad if you are a pentax nut (like myself, my main body is a PZ-1P). I guess I shouldn't complain about Tamron glass, the pentax factory stuff really kinda stinks. But the PZ-1P is SUCH a nice body! I really would like someone to stick a digital back (12MP+ please) on a PZ-1P body or similar and have a pricepoint under $2k for the body.

I shot just under 30 rolls of film two weeks ago at a wedding, can't wait for it to be developed. Shot Velvia (50 and 100F), E100VS, Portra 160VC, Neopan 400, Neopan Acros 100, and two rolls of 1600 Tri-X. E100VS is a pretty versitile film, if I don't say so myself.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Brian Austin said:
Tamron 28-75/2.8 (the new one). I wanted something to replace the 18-55 kit lens for walkaround shooting. Closest Canon lens was major bucks compared to this one. I'm pretty pleased with it so far but it's only been a day. :D

Next one is either a 12-24 or the new Canon EFS 10-22. Then a 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverter and a Speedlite 580ex flash. I'm set for a while after that....maybe. ;)

You are giving up flying for photography???? I can't believe it.

Of course, I'm an aviation addict with no intention of going into recovery.

OK, let's see....we're talking about the 29th, right? I flew my rear end off last week and STILL flew on the 29th. I actually flew out to Moose Creek (back-country airstrip) Friday, went hiking, and camped overnight, went fishing early Saturday morning and flew out late Sat. morning. After 2 years of talking about the great fly-in-only fly-fishing in Idaho, I finally did it. Actually, you can get there by foot or horseback, too, but flying's a lot faster (and more fun). Nice to have a recognizable airplane--a couple came over to my campsite Friday night, with a bottle of wine, to introduce themselves. He recognized my airplane from another forum. :cheerswine: Talk about being a happy camper!

Then, having gotten my flying jollies for the weekend, I painted my deck, which wraps around 3 sides of my house. 12 hours, 3.5 gallons of paint (the wood was dry--goodness knows when it was last painted; I bought the house < 1 year ago).

As I was hiking around on Friday, enjoying an absolutely spectacular day in a wilderness I'd flown to (it doesn't get any better than that), I reflected on how incredibly fortunate I am. I'm healthy, have enough money to do something that 99.9999% of the world would consider outrageously extravagent, live in a drop-dead gorgeous part of the world, and even have job security. Those reflections will last a long time; it will be hard to complain about anything for awhile. The only thing I can complain about is that my husband isn't healthy enough to enjoy these things with me (except the fact that I'm healthy enough to help him out). Of course, if it were possible, I'd give it all up so that HE could be healthy again.

Judy

Last edited:
judypilot said:
You are giving up flying for photography???? I can't believe it.

Judy, aviation addict with no intention of going into recovery
Silly woman. Men can have dozens of expensive hobbies at a time without feeling a loss.

For instance, I flyfish (moderately expensive with my taste in equipment), take pictures (expensive), fly (very expensive) and have a well-equipped woodworking shop (initially expensive but the stuff lasts for decades).

I figure I can fly somewhere, take pictures along the way and flyfish when I get there. Or I can build my own plane in my shop...taking pics along the way. Or I can generate more income by taking on woodworking commissions or selling some photos.

At least I don't drink excessively, buy fast, expensive cars and sleep around with other women. Well....two out of three anyway. :D

Brian Austin said:
Silly woman. Men can have dozens of expensive hobbies at a time without feeling a loss.....

This characteristic is not gender-specific ;)

astanley said:
Yeah, but you can't spend $1250 on a new color of nail polish...

:cheerswine: Carol!

-Andrew

Having gone makeup shopping with my wife, I'm not entirely sure about that!! :hairraise:

Joe Williams said:
Having gone makeup shopping with my wife, I'm not entirely sure about that!! :hairraise:
You shop for makeup? There are so many things wrong with that... :goofy:

(Always willing to take a quote out of context for a little break in my boring day) :rofl:

Brian Austin said:
You shop for makeup? There are so many things wrong with that... :goofy:

(Always willing to take a quote out of context for a little break in my boring day) :rofl:

Just for you, Brian, I'll dress up all purty this Halloween, and post a pic here for you to save and slobber over. It's made for a cheapo costume before, and I look GOOD!! :wonderwoman:

Joe Williams said:
Just for you, Brian, I'll dress up all purty this Halloween, and post a pic here for you to save and slobber over. It's made for a cheapo costume before, and I look GOOD!! :wonderwoman:
Darn! Do I have to wait so long? ;)

Brian Austin said:

The Tamron is a good lens for the money but having owned both there is a noticeable difference between the two. First stop reading the cr_p on some of the forums like photo and dpreview. I find that most people have no clue what they are talking about. Sharpness is so misunderstood...especially on a digital camera. The people who are saying their pictures are soft have no idea how to properly sharpen a picture. The camera does not do a good job of making a picture sharp. At the very least you should lower the sharpness level on your camera and adjust it in photoshop to the proper amount. There is also a lot more to a lens than sharpness...like color, focus accuracy, focus speed, build quality (weather sealing etc).

Canon does have a camera series in-between the 1ds and the 20d...the 1d series (1.3 crop, 8fps, weather sealed body, etc.).

Brian you should really consider buying used lenses. Lenses are very tough and will outlast many bodies. If you buy a good used copy you can normally sell it in a few years for about the same you paid for it or slightly less.

Iceman said:
The Tamron is a good lens for the money but having owned both there is a noticeable difference between the two.
I'm happy with the Tamron right now. I have no problem getting a different lens later and selling this one. It's a learning process.

Iceman said:
First stop reading the cr_p on some of the forums like photo and dpreview. I find that most people have no clue what they are talking about.
That pretty much holds true for a LOT of forums...excepting this one, of course. ;) There are some gems in there, though, including referencing some books that are pretty good.

Iceman said:
Sharpness is so misunderstood...especially on a digital camera. The people who are saying their pictures are soft have no idea how to properly sharpen a picture. The camera does not do a good job of making a picture sharp. At the very least you should lower the sharpness level on your camera and adjust it in photoshop to the proper amount. There is also a lot more to a lens than sharpness...like color, focus accuracy, focus speed, build quality (weather sealing etc).
Yeah, I'm figuring all that out. I need to sit down with a "script" and learn more about this post processing workflow stuff. High end digital is new to me. No developer/stopper/fixer here. :D

Iceman said:
Canon does have a camera series in-between the 1ds and the 20d...the 1d series (1.3 crop, 8fps, weather sealed body, etc.).
I was thinking more of the 12MP range but the 1.3 kind of changes things. Thanks.

Iceman said:
Brian you should really consider buying used lenses. Lenses are very tough and will outlast many bodies. If you buy a good used copy you can normally sell it in a few years for about the same you paid for it or slightly less.
I've been leery of used equipment for some of this stuff. I'm not a big fan of eBay and won't buy anything there. Just found another site that has used equipment in a forum environment. The local shop carries used equipment but didn't have anything. For some of the stuff I'm looking at, though, there is little difference between used and new pricing. If I'm not saving that much, I'll go new and get the warranties and service of the local shop.

Brian Austin said:
Silly woman. Men can have dozens of expensive hobbies at a time without feeling a loss.

Hey, I was just picking up on something YOU said. You said less flying because you were buying some lens. A lens for goodness sake! That sounds like giving up flying for photography to me, I don't care what you say.

Say, how's the weather down there? :p You have NO idea how glad I am that I don't live in Arizona any more. :rofl:

Judy

judypilot said:
Hey, I was just picking up on something YOU said. You said less flying because you were buying some lens. A lens for goodness sake! That sounds like giving up flying for photography to me, I don't care what you say.

Say, how's the weather down there? :p You have NO idea how glad I am that I don't live in Arizona any more. :rofl:

Judy
I don't fly as much during the summer anyway. You know why. :D

Weird. I found a Cherokee 140 with AIR CONDITIONING posted for sale at DVT. Only $36K with a 1200hr engine.

astanley said:
Yeah, but you can't spend $1250 on a new color of nail polish...

:cheerswine: Carol!

-Andrew

Wanna bet? ;)

Back