Parachutes in planes - Survey for my Research Paper

Please mark your opinion here, for tallies and totals.

• Total voters

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
Hey guys, I'm taking an aviation psych class and I have to do some "hands-on" research for a paper assignment. I chose the subject a couple weeks ago, which is focused around the parachutes in aircraft topic (basically, Cirrus aircraft). I am surprised there's another discussion topic on this very same board about it! I get to strike while the iron's hot :yes:

Okay, so, my topic is the following:
For pilots in two age groups (Under 30 and over 31, please state which you fall into)-

Would you, in a plane equipped with a parachute and in the event of a major failure (mainly engine but other problems as well), be more apt to deadstick or hand-fly the aircraft to the ground or would you pull the black and yellow handle for the parachute?

I am also interested in your thoughts about how the parachutes add or subtract from safety. Namely, do you believe that the parachute concept adds to a level of safety because it allows you to just pull a handle and get to the ground alive, or do you believe that it impacts safety negatively because the addition of a parachute can lead an inexperienced pilot to do things that they normally would not do with a false sense of invincibility?

Any other input is greatly appreciated, I have a lot of ground to cover and the more opinions I have, the better. Thank you in advance, and I look forward to your responses!

Can we wear our own parachutes and get out? If the airplane is broken enough to need a parachute I don't want to stay in it anymore.

Sure, I'd say it's probably semi-relevant to the theme here, I can use it as talking point :p although I think if anyone had the choice between jumping out of a broken plane or riding it to the ground, it'd probably be for the former :dunno: unless populations below or passengers were a factor.

It is all dependent on a lot of things you are not asking about. Such as:

Where are you? Right over an airport or over an inhospitable rocky crag. Over water? Can you glide and ditch next to a ship or boat, or not?

Day or night? IMC or VMC? On fire? etc.

The parachute is a tool, not a panacea. You have to make a decision to pull the handle only after evaluating your specific circumstances. You can't really do that in advance.

-Skip

Where are you? Right over an airport or over an inhospitable rocky crag. Over water? Can you glide and ditch next to a ship or boat, or not?

The parachute is a tool, not a panacea. You have to make a decision to pull the handle only after evaluating your specific circumstances. You can't really do that in advance.

-Skip

:yeahthat:

Completely depends on the circumstances. If I can land it safely I'll hand fly it, but there are times when I can't. For example, over rocky terrains, in the mountains, in IMC/night, over a large city (with no place to glide), ect... Also if depends on the type of failure, if I lose an engine I can still fly the plane, but if I lose a wing, that's a different story.

The chute just gives you another option, that's it. It should not be used as a primary option in an emergency situation.

I had two declared emergencies in my SR20. 1 was engine, the other a combination fuel (starvation) and potential clouds. Both times, 2000 was the hard deck for my decision to pull. Neither time did I pull, as I was able to land without any issues. If properly used, the chute adds a tool to your kit bag. One that is a requirement, IMO, to fly my family around.

I've parachuted enough times out of perfectly good airplanes I don't need to do it again.

I've parachuted enough times out of perfectly good airplanes I don't need to do it again.

The whole point of the chute in this case is if the plane is not perfectly good...

You will get a lot of unknowledgeable responses here. Try cirruspilots.org.

Essentially, what is now taught in transition training is don't make an off airport landing unless you are below 500 AGL -- the chances of survival with no serious injury, no matter how good you think they are, will be better with the chute, unless you are over an airport.

Before takeoff, decide what to do in case of an engine failure: below 500 AGL land straight ahead more or less. Higher, pull the chute. If you are just above 500' pull immediately. If you are much higher, then you can go into a 100 knot glide while checking the mixture etc to troubleshoot. I've done it in the sim.

There is no element of increased risk taking anywhere there.

And my handle is red, not yellow and black.

Last edited:
Could I respectfully request that next time you wish to poll pilots on a subject that you first go out to an airport and talk to a couple of them?

Your poll does not differentiate between parachutes on planes and parachutes on people. It does not address the key items that pilots would make the decision on, such as flight control failure, fire, or engine failure over hostile terrain. And the one differentiation that you make, pilot age, probably doesn't mean a thing.

The whole point of the chute in this case is if the plane is not perfectly good...

Likely the plane he jumped out of were not "perfectly good" either, he just did not know it at the time...

Essentially, what is now taught in transition training is don't make an off airport landing unless you are below 500 AGL -- the chances of survival with no serious injury, no matter how good you think they are, will be better with the chute, unless you are over an airport.

Doesn't how good you are, vary widely based on where you are flying? For example, if I leave IXD and fly west... I can basically see a row of trees every 1/2 miles, and roads every 1 miles.. occasionally, there is a 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide town.. If I can't find a flat field, it is not a plane issue.

now, If I try that same thing out of OWD, heading North... It may just be the Chute every time.. There just isn't much for options there...

The fact that people don't consider all the variables, kills me... Or rather, them...

So age not really a factor...

WOuld i rather fly it to the ground or chute it down? Fly every time, until I can't... I don't really understand any of the choices...

You're presuming a Cirrus, but it's not the only airplane with a chute nowadays. I'm going to pull only in direst circumstances (except a fire), such a structural failure or control failure after a midair, fabric coming off the wing, an so on. That is because I have no trust in my chute to actually work. Yes, it is a genuine BRS brand rocket and system, same as on Cirrus, but I have no idea if installation was adequately engineered and completed.

You question is too vague as others have stated. Please reword it so that you can obtain a more accurate end result.

I had two declared emergencies in my SR20. 1 was engine, the other a combination fuel (starvation) and potential clouds. Both times, 2000 was the hard deck for my decision to pull. Neither time did I pull, as I was able to land without any issues. If properly used, the chute adds a tool to your kit bag. One that is a requirement, IMO, to fly my family around.
Good contribution; I like the idea of it as a tool or option instead of simply a get out of jail free card.

-Skip
Good point, but it's a bit harder to make a survey with "Over 30 - engine fire situation" / "Over 30 - wing off" / "Over 30 - Over water, engine fire"... etc. I'm really only aiming for the general feeling about using them in emergency situations - would you just pull the handle or would you fly it yourself to the ground even though you have it.

:yeahthat:
Completely depends on the circumstances. If I can land it safely I'll hand fly it, but there are times when I can't. For example, over rocky terrains, in the mountains, in IMC/night, over a large city (with no place to glide), ect... Also if depends on the type of failure, if I lose an engine I can still fly the plane, but if I lose a wing, that's a different story.

The chute just gives you another option, that's it. It should not be used as a primary option in an emergency situation.
More of the answer I was looking for :) I agree that it is pretty situational; I'm not going to pull it if I see an unusual drop in the ammeter, but if something hits the fan hard like wing failure you can bet I'd pull the handle.

:lol:

Kind of leaves me at a loss as to how to ask this question better to be honest. The definition of "perfectly good" changes a bit between each pilot; so does the point at which they would personally deploy the parachute if at all.

Before takeoff, decide what to do in case of an engine failure: below 500 AGL land straight ahead more or less. Higher, pull the chute. If you are just above 500' pull immediately. If you are much higher, then you can go into a 100 knot glide while checking the mixture etc to troubleshoot. I've done it in the sim.

I'll give that a shot as well NoHeat, the general aim of the paper is for general pilots at least, I did want to get a few cirrus pilots in here as well but a good number of non-cirrus pilots and their views on the parachute system and when they would deploy it if at all. I see you are in the crowd of it being a tool and using it that way, not resorting to it first (naturally). Also, noted on the handle color :yes:

Could I respectfully request that next time you wish to poll pilots on a subject that you first go out to an airport and talk to a couple of them?

Your poll does not differentiate between parachutes on planes and parachutes on people. It does not address the key items that pilots would make the decision on, such as flight control failure, fire, or engine failure over hostile terrain. And the one differentiation that you make, pilot age, probably doesn't mean a thing.
Well, been around the area airports and haven't seen a single Cirrus, nor been able to interview or ask more than one or two pilots questions about it. The standards set by the instructor required a differentiation and age was suggested with my topic brought up to him so I went with it. I have to do statistical analysis on the results; where would you draw the line between different situations for those calculations? I stated in the OP that I was looking for answers regarding Cirrus type aircraft with parachutes installed in them, apologies if that wasn't clear. I believe the type of response my instructor is setting me up for is a type of "Younger pilots will choose to use the parachute while older ones will choose to hand fly in emergencies" lesson; one I'm not sure I agree with. I can see older pilots, having learned by hand and by steam gauges, being more comfortable doing the flying by hand. And students who are more easily overwhelmed or more comfortable with automation like GPS and autopilot might be more comfortable with popping the parachute when confronted with an uneasy situation. If you have a better suggestion on how to accomplish the required research, I'm all ears :D Just trying to get a pulse on how pilots feel about it.

Doesn't how good you are, vary widely based on where you are flying? For example, if I leave IXD and fly west... I can basically see a row of trees every 1/2 miles, and roads every 1 miles.. occasionally, there is a 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide town.. If I can't find a flat field, it is not a plane issue.

now, If I try that same thing out of OWD, heading North... It may just be the Chute every time.. There just isn't much for options there...

The fact that people don't consider all the variables, kills me... Or rather, them...

So age not really a factor...

Would i rather fly it to the ground or chute it down? Fly every time, until I can't... I don't really understand any of the choices...
Yeah, I agree that it's not as cut and dry as I'd like it to be - it depends on the situation. I like your examples - they do give me insight into your mindset.

You're presuming a Cirrus, but it's not the only airplane with a chute nowadays. I'm going to pull only in direst circumstances (except a fire), such a structural failure or control failure after a midair, fabric coming off the wing, an so on. That is because I have no trust in my chute to actually work. Yes, it is a genuine BRS brand rocket and system, same as on Cirrus, but I have no idea if installation was adequately engineered and completed.
Another good contribution! This is on target with the kind of responses I'm looking for :yes:

So the question is, how else could I structure the survey to be more precise?

My best guess is to ask at what point would you use the parachute - engine out, engine fire, structural failure?

But then there are other variables that go along with each of those, as mentioned above. Over water, forest, airport, mountains... etc.

Doing statistical analysis on the results and piling them together with so many different answers seems hard - the null hypothesis is that younger pilots will be more apt to deploy the parachute in dire situations than older pilots, on the whole. Defining "dire situations" is difficult - one young, low time pilot can panic during an engine failure, another young, high time pilot won't. Time, experience, situation, location, aircraft and age can all be variables and I'm attempting to make it manageable. Any ideas are welcome!

From data so far in the Cirrus world, it would appear that coming down under CAPS gives far better survival odds than an off airport landing, all things considered.

Admittedly, we're talking about a Vso around 60k - slower planes may, on average, fare better landing off airport, due to less energy.

A worthwhile video, with lots of anecdotes and data here:

http://youtu.be/Pc6v-hWCSqc

Too many unknowns in your poll. What are the circumstances? Is the parachute on the human or the airplane?

In a loss of control situation it is extremely unlikely that a person will be able to exit a conventional general aviation cabin wearing a parachute, so staying with the aircraft will be the only option.

So the question is, how else could I structure the survey to be more precise?

My best guess is to ask at what point would you use the parachute - engine out, engine fire, structural failure?

But then there are other variables that go along with each of those, as mentioned above. Over water, forest, airport, mountains... etc.

Doing statistical analysis on the results and piling them together with so many different answers seems hard - the null hypothesis is that younger pilots will be more apt to deploy the parachute in dire situations than older pilots, on the whole. Defining "dire situations" is difficult - one young, low time pilot can panic during an engine failure, another young, high time pilot won't. Time, experience, situation, location, aircraft and age can all be variables and I'm attempting to make it manageable. Any ideas are welcome!

I would just state in the question that this is an engine-out situation at XXXXft. in an area with XXXX surroundings/terrain; VFR (or IMC if you prefer). Also, if you intend to use this data, don't sample on the Cirrus forum. That'll skew it in favor of older people (who can afford a Cirrus) and those who would definitely pull the chute (they bought/fly a Cirrus in the first place, and obviously like them if they're on the forum--that's sampling bias right there).

Sure, I'd say it's probably semi-relevant to the theme here, I can use it as talking point :p although I think if anyone had the choice between jumping out of a broken plane or riding it to the ground, it'd probably be for the former :dunno: unless populations below or passengers were a factor.

Depends on what is wrong with the plane. There are just too many variables and possibilities to bring this poll down to only four choices. I'm afraid I must abstain.

Thanks for stimulating the discussion on the subject though.

Given the choice I would prefer to have the option of a parachute on the plane. Do I worry about flying one without one? No, as a matter of fact never flown in a plane that had one. If money was no object for the small performance hit I would prefer to have it as an option and as mentioned above it would be just one more tool in the kit.

The presence of a chute was NOT a factor in my choice of a demo Cirrus SR22 back in 2003. Had there been a "delete" option, I might have taken it for increased load and lessened up front and continuing maintenance costs.

But like seat belts in a car or a helmet on a motorcycle, once you get used to something its lack is more noticeable.

I no longer own the Cirrus, and my Sky Arrow has no chute. And where I live in the foothills of the Appalachians there are times when there are virtually no good landing sites available if the fan quits. This is a typical view and a proposed landing site on my course northbound from Copperhill to Knoxville:

8208640004_29107d2049_c.jpg

I comfort myself in that, with a 39k stall speed, as long as I contact the ground or the trees or whatever under control, I just may survive.

But a chute would be a nice option - if I had a slightly lighter plane that could carry one without seriously compromising my useful load.

Unless something was seriously (Cirrusly?) wrong with the plane or landing options were non-existent, I'd probably fly it down.

Having the parachute would be nice, but there's also the downside of the deployment process being fairly rough. While the BRS-type chutes are undoubtedly gentler, according to ex-Navy pilots every time they pulled the golden handle they'd lose an inch of height.

Unless something was seriously (Cirrusly?) wrong with the plane or landing options were non-existent, I'd probably fly it down.

Certainly a personal choice.

But, as stated, a lot of Cirrus pilots and passengers have died from botched emergency landings and landing attempts who in all probability would be alive today had they pulled. There's a lot of energy to dissipate one way or another, even with a perfect 60k arrival.

The video I linked is worth watching, if you have not already.

I saw a picture recently of a Cirrus that just landed via chute in some very rough terrain. Pilot walked away and the plane looked intact except for collapsed gear. That same landing with no chute would have been pretty ugly. So, I guess I could be convinced.

It's not an end all, save all either. Didn't help an acquaintance of mine who scattered his Cirrus all over Sugarbowl mountain after stupidly trying to fly over the Sierras in IMC.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20050222X00211&ntsbno=LAX05FA088&akey=1

Am I over a major city,or out in the wide open spaces with plenty of open spaces to land?

From data so far in the Cirrus world, it would appear that coming down under CAPS gives far better survival odds than an off airport landing, all things considered.

Admittedly, we're talking about a Vso around 60k - slower planes may, on average, fare better landing off airport, due to less energy.

Good video. I like bit at around 37 minutes of the discussion of when to use it and figuring it out before you fly. The examples of:

Pilot disorientation
Screwing up on approach
Figuring out ways to deal with mechanical problems

are pretty good, but I don't know how to quantify those for different pilots. 45 seconds of disorientation? Instrument failure? Black hole illusion? Screwing up on approach is pretty nebulous, did you miss the runway lineup due to crosswinds so you have to go around or did you end up stalling or spinning (which wouldn't help under 500ft agl). Mechanical problems, did you lose total engine power or partial, how much do you have left? They're great specific situations but not specific enough at the same time. Hmm. Good video though, I plan to include this for my paper.

Too many unknowns in your poll. What are the circumstances? Is the parachute on the human or the airplane?

In a loss of control situation it is extremely unlikely that a person will be able to exit a conventional general aviation cabin wearing a parachute, so staying with the aircraft will be the only option.
I suppose I shot myself in the foot though for saying that it could be a thing to have a backpack parachute included on the first comment. I meant on Cirrus aircraft.

I would just state in the question that this is an engine-out situation at XXXXft. in an area with XXXX surroundings/terrain; VFR (or IMC if you prefer). Also, if you intend to use this data, don't sample on the Cirrus forum. That'll skew it in favor of older people (who can afford a Cirrus) and those who would definitely pull the chute (they bought/fly a Cirrus in the first place, and obviously like them if they're on the forum--that's sampling bias right there).
Yeah. I'm using this forum because it's from a wide variety of pilots, some with Cirrus experience and lots without. I was going to go to the Cirrus forum to see how skewed it would be but after seeing the video that FastEddie posted, I'm pretty sure a majority would say "over 500 feet, pull", etc etc.

That is a good idea, the Cirrus video came up with a few provocative questions on when to use the CAPS system. Like, my guess is that a mid air collision prompt would have almost everyone saying "pull the chute". Problem is, there have been mid-air's where not much is damaged and at least one plane can return to an airport or at least make a safe landing. Specific situations seem to be the most asked for addition to my poll and I'm not sure how to give that for so many situations and be able to calculate it statistically in the end. Hmm.

Depends on what is wrong with the plane. There are just too many variables and possibilities to bring this poll down to only four choices. I'm afraid I must abstain.

Thanks for stimulating the discussion on the subject though.
Fair enough. I am working on some way to make it more specific with less variables but still enough for significant statistical work.

Given the choice I would prefer to have the option of a parachute on the plane. Do I worry about flying one without one? No, as a matter of fact never flown in a plane that had one. If money was no object for the small performance hit I would prefer to have it as an option and as mentioned above it would be just one more tool in the kit.
Good, I agree - the cost and the weight seem to be the biggest factors in having one or not. The more tools you have, the better chance you can walk away from an incident.

The presence of a chute was NOT a factor in my choice of a demo Cirrus SR22 back in 2003. Had there been a "delete" option, I might have taken it for increased load and lessened up front and continuing maintenance costs.

But like seat belts in a car or a helmet on a motorcycle, once you get used to something its lack is more noticeable.

I no longer own the Cirrus, and my Sky Arrow has no chute. And where I live in the foothills of the Appalachians there are times when there are virtually no good landing sites available if the fan quits. This is a typical view and a proposed landing site on my course northbound from Copperhill to Knoxville:

*snip*

I comfort myself in that, with a 39k stall speed, as long as I contact the ground or the trees or whatever under control, I just may survive.

But a chute would be a nice option - if I had a slightly lighter plane that could carry one without seriously compromising my useful load.
Wow. 39kt stall speed, I think you'd be okay even flying into trees (another report from a year or two back in my studies said pretty much that). I am in the camp of "the plane is fine without the parachute" and that it can probably fly/glide without a parachute but even looking at that picture I'm second guessing my "hand fly it to the ground" answer to my poll.

Having the parachute would be nice, but there's also the downside of the deployment process being fairly rough. While the BRS-type chutes are undoubtedly gentler, according to ex-Navy pilots every time they pulled the golden handle they'd lose an inch of height.
Ba-dum tish. I'm sure deploying the thing and being permanently shorter instead of being permanently more dead would be a pro for me! Although there are those circumstances where the chute may not be packed correctly. Did you fire five or did you fire six? A chute not properly deployed may end up killing you instead of saving you.

Certainly a personal choice.

But, as stated, a lot of Cirrus pilots and passengers have died from botched emergency landings and landing attempts who in all probability would be alive today had they pulled. There's a lot of energy to dissipate one way or another, even with a perfect 60k arrival.

The video I linked is worth watching, if you have not already.
1/4 chutes pulled with instructors in the right seat according to the video. Jeez.

I saw a picture recently of a Cirrus that just landed via chute in some very rough terrain. Pilot walked away and the plane looked intact except for collapsed gear. That same landing with no chute would have been pretty ugly. So, I guess I could be convinced.

It's not an end all, save all either. Didn't help an acquaintance of mine who scattered his Cirrus all over Sugarbowl mountain after stupidly trying to fly over the Sierras in IMC.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20050222X00211&ntsbno=LAX05FA088&akey=1
Ouch. Sounds like he deployed it too fast and too low (and too late). Looks like a pretty icky area even with a parachute, but a slow speed crash beats a high speed crash I'd say.

Is that a 30 year old airplane or 30 year old pilot?
30 year old pilot, sorry!

Am I over a major city,or out in the wide open spaces with plenty of open spaces to land?
That's what I'm attempting to come up with here :p I agree that they are too nebulous but I'm working on it!

Okay, here's my attempt at making the poll more specific:
It would be for ages 30 and under, 31 and over (instructor requirement, can't get away from that one). Any ideas are welcomed; thank you guys for continuing to reply even though this is a bit harder than I thought it'd be!

At which point would you deploy the aircraft-based parachute?

IMC situation over unfavorable terrain at 500-2000 feet AGL:
Spatial Disorientation - 30 seconds
Spatial Disorientation - 60 seconds
Spatial Disorientation - 90 seconds or more

Loss of Heading Indicator
Loss of Attitude Indicator
Loss of VSI
Loss of Airspeed Indicator
Loss of Turn/Bank Coordinator
Loss of Altimeter
(Your own combination if none fit: Check this box and post your response)

Full loss of power
Partial loss of power

Incipient spin
Fully-developed spin

Mid-air collision, missing wing
Mid-air collision, missing rudder

(I am not sure how to easily cluster vital cross-check instruments together - almost no one here would pull a chute due to a loss of just an altimeter. Also, almost every reply will have a parachute pull for a missing wing because it's a missing wing, any age would pull in that situation).

It would be for ages 30 and under, 31 and over (instructor requirement, can't get away from that one). Any ideas are welcomed; thank you guys for continuing to reply even though this is a bit harder than I thought it'd be!

Loss of Heading Indicator No. Vacuum failure will take out the DG. Partial panel flying
Loss of Attitude Indicator No. Second instrument that a vacuum failure will take out. No reason to pull the chute.
Loss of VSI No. Watch the altimeter and know the effect of power setting changes.
Loss of Airspeed Indicator No. Try landing with this covered.
Loss of Turn/Bank Coordinator In isolation from others, or as part of a total package?
Loss of Altimeter A really rare failure. My immediate response would NOT be to pull the chute.

Full loss of power It depends
Partial loss of power It depends

Incipient spin No, recover from the spin. Now, are we talking 500 AGL? How fast will the chute deploy? You'll need it.
Fully-developed spin From 500 AGL? Good luck.

Mid-air collision, missing wing PULL!
Mid-air collision, missing rudder PULL!

(I am not sure how to easily cluster vital cross-check instruments together - almost no one here would pull a chute due to a loss of just an altimeter. Also, almost every reply will have a parachute pull for a missing wing because it's a missing wing, any age would pull in that situation).

Now you're getting more to the information needed to say when I might pull the chute. To quote a professor friend of mine, "It depends".

My inputs are embedded above. Just my opinion. Others will have different opinions, I'm sure.

The most common rationale I hear is for the passenger to pull with the loss of the pilot. Very, very, rare of course but it does a lot to gain passenger peace....

Loss of Heading Indicator
Loss of Attitude Indicator
Loss of VSI
Loss of Airspeed Indicator
Loss of Turn/Bank Coordinator
Loss of Altimeter

Full loss of power
Partial loss of power

Incipient spin
Fully-developed spin

Mid-air collision, missing wing
Mid-air collision, missing rudder

I'll pull the chute if I am unable to control the plane myself or unable to land it safely. About the only thing on that list that would cause me to to pull the chute is a mid-air.
During spacial disorientation just use the instruments to figure out what's going on. If I lose an instrument, just fly partial panel. If I lose power (all or partial), I'll still prefer to hand fly it, now if I can't glide to a safe landing area, then I'll pull the chute. If I enter a spin, recover from it. If I spin at low alt, that would depend how much alt it would require for a chute to get me out of a spin, in a Cirrus I think it's like 800ft (don't quote me on this). If I enter a spin and am unable to recover, then I'll pull it, however the odds of that are rather low.

The most common rationale I hear is for the passenger to pull with the loss of the pilot. Very, very, rare of course but it does a lot to gain passenger peace....

Just make sure the passenger doesn't get scared (when your awake) and pulls it.
Every time I've flown a Cirrus I have never briefed my passengers what that handle does, I did say not to touch it.

Last edited:
My choice is missing, "Over 30 and would decide on chute or fly on as the conditions warrant." I have no problems or prejudices against an airframe chute, it's a good option to have but not necessarily the best option to take, it all depends on the terrain and options.

Now you're getting more to the information needed to say when I might pull the chute. To quote a professor friend of mine, "It depends".

My inputs are embedded above. Just my opinion. Others will have different opinions, I'm sure.
Ah, thank you for your feedback. The instrument failures sounded good in my head for options but I don't think any pilot would just up and pull for one or two failing at any given time. Cross-checking is great.

That could be a point to include. Thank you :)

I'll pull the chute if I am unable to control the plane myself or unable to land it safely. About the only thing on that list that would cause me to to pull the chute is a mid-air.
During spacial disorientation just use the instruments to figure out what's going on. If I lose an instrument, just fly partial panel. If I lose power (all or partial), I'll still prefer to hand fly it, now if I can't glide to a safe landing area, then I'll pull the chute. If I enter a spin, recover from it. If I spin at low alt, that would depend how much alt it would require for a chute to get me out of a spin, in a Cirrus I think it's like 800ft (don't quote me on this). If I enter a spin and am unable to recover, then I'll pull it, however the odds of that are rather low.
Agreed. Even after adding more "options", there are still a ton of "it depends" answers it's difficult to get anywhere. There are pretty straightforward ways to deal with most inflight problems, and a chute doesn't seem to be with most of them.

Just make sure the passenger doesn't get scared (when your awake) and pulls it.
Every time I've flown a Cirrus I have never briefed my passengers what that handle does, I did say not to touch it.
That would be slightly detrimental.

My choice is missing, "Over 30 and would decide on chute or fly on as the conditions warrant." I have no problems or prejudices against an airframe chute, it's a good option to have but not necessarily the best option to take, it all depends on the terrain and options.
So far, heard that one a lot unfortunately. It's a tool and I'll use it when I need it seems to be the opinion of the day. Just figuring out when pilots would "need it" isn't getting me as far as I'd hoped. Too many specifics.

Just figuring out when pilots would "need it" isn't getting me as far as I'd hoped. Too many specifics.

I'll try to clear it up for you. There is essentially one condition that will require you to use the chute, when the airplane is unflyable. For the plane to be unflyable two things can happen, first is a complete structural failure (ex mid-air), the other is an engine failure over inhospitable terrain (you can glide for some time, but can't get to a safe landing area so where ever you try to land you're likely not to survive).

Does that make more sense?

So far, heard that one a lot unfortunately. It's a tool and I'll use it when I need it seems to be the opinion of the day. Just figuring out when pilots would "need it" isn't getting me as far as I'd hoped. Too many specifics.

Yep, that's the nature of the beast in the operations of dynamic equipment in a dynamic multi variable situation. The good operator will always prefer the most options and will always reserve the choice of option until the best option makes itself clear. Any operator who tells you they would do X are the ones to be afraid of. However there is a flip side of that coin where an operator may fail to make a timely decision and not take full advantage of any option, that can be just as bad.

This leads to another major factor in aviation psychology and that is what type of stress handler is the pilot? There are two basic types of reactions in a imminent death stress situation, both of these reactions incidentally render actual transition to death a peaceful and calm event.

The first goes into a calm 'time warp' where time seems to dilate with no emotion, just calm thought, the quantity of which appears to be much greater than what one experiences in a normal stress time frame. This person will just react, and keep reacting calmly to the situation. The guys gliding the Airbus into the Hudson River serves as an example.

I noticed this first on a motorcycle many years ago but couldn't put any real dimension to it. I put in an Ag Cat into the crop one time on a windsheer and had gear marks and a speed to help put definition to it. In the 1.3 seconds it took from the time the gear first went in until the time I was upside down in the crop, I felt and heard the drag (thick oats) I had the time to recognize my predicament, go full forward with throttle and prop, recognize this was not going to work, chop throttle and prop and think calmly "keep the tail down, wings level and this thin in a straight line."and then observe and control for a bit before the view turned solid green then the sky transition to down and come to rest in the field. I had enough thought in that 1.3 seconds it would have been 15 seconds in normal time.

Then there are people who disassociate in these types of situations. They calmly view it from a position of detachment. It's as if they are watching a movie, or someone else that it's occurring to, it's just 'not real' to them at the moment. They quit thinking, they quit reacting, they just observe. Air France 441 serves as a great example of this. The pilot flying descending through 12,000' says, "This is really happening, isn't it?" In the 3 minutes previous to that, his hand never wavered and the plane did a beautiful falling leaf stall. At that point though, his hand wavered and the wing dropped. In that whole fall though, three dissociative personalities were there in the cockpit doing nothing.

If you combine the issue of technical options and personality types delineated as above, perhaps you can come up with a paper.

Historically if a Cirrus doesn't pull they have a tendency to turn the occupants into flambé

Back