Parachute Airplane Vs Non-Parachute Airplane

easik

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
easik
Which is safer? In my recent attempt to show that; the primary safety factor in an airplane is the Pilot themselves. I compared a Cirrus to a Diamondsar. This video is purely my own opinion. Data used may not be all factual and I probably butchered some stats speaking into the microphone. But my stands remain the same. Was I wrong in my analysis? what's your take on it?

It depends on the situation,you can’t make a general statement. The pilot and the training recieved are always a major factor.

IMHO, your statement is correct as far as it goes. I would frame the issue as:

Is a well trained, competent, current, proficient, and conscientious pilot safer with the chute, or without? IF so, is the increased safety factor worth the added cost?

I don’t think it has to be either/or.

Which is safer? In my recent attempt to show that; the primary safety factor in an airplane is the Pilot themselves. I compared a Cirrus to a Diamondsar. This video is purely my own opinion. Data used may not be all factual and I probably butchered some stats speaking into the microphone. But my stands remain the same. Was I wrong in my analysis? what's your take on it?

There was a poll about this, tundra tires won

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...gine-quit-pick-a-airframe.86346/#post-1901715

Sorry, I couldn’t get past ‘most single engine GA aircraft have a parachute these days’. WTF!???

over a congested city or mountains I like the parachute. Over farm fields it would probably cause less damage to land the cirrus in a field than pull the chute.

But if I had to choose between no chute and a extra 100 pounds useful, or a chute and give up the same weight I would go chute every time. I like having as many options in case of a emergency that I can.

Statistics don't lie. If the chute is pulled within the envelope, you have a 99.5% survival rate. Even a well trained and experienced pilot would have trouble matching that. In an emergency it is about saving your life, not the airplane. Too many people have died tried to prevent bending an airplane, and even more that have over estimated their ability.

over a congested city or mountains I like the parachute. Over farm fields it would probably cause less damage to land the cirrus in a field than pull the chute.

But if I had to choose between no chute and a extra 100 pounds useful, or a chute and give up the same weight I would go chute every time. I like having as many options in case of a emergency that I can.
Yes. A parachute doesn't make you a lesser pilot, even though many people like to think that. Cirrus all the way. Just an extra and potentially life saving tool

It's like saying having a life raft on a boat is dumb because a real skipper can swim and won't need it

Chutes are for sissies. Anyone here think ejections seats should be required in cars or on motorcycles?

Said with tongue in cheek. :D

Give me a set of tundra tires and I'll land any plane anywhere. Chutes make pilots complacent and drive them to make unsafe choices that they would not otherwise make because they feel like the Chute will save their life.

Honestly the only reason serious sells any aircraft at all is because the parachute makes the wives feel more comfortable

Give me a set of tundra tires and I'll land any plane anywhere. Chutes make pilots complacent and drive them to make unsafe choices that they would not otherwise make because they feel like the Chute will save their life.

Honestly the only reason serious sells any aircraft at all is because the parachute makes the wives feel more comfortable
Stewart go back to your own account and leave 6PC’s account alone. Thank you.

So tundra tires on a Cirrus and you're golden!!

"Data used may not be all factual...But my stands [sic] remain the same."

Do you work for NOAA?

When I'm by myself, it doesn't even cross my mind. When I'm with my family, I do sometimes think that it'd be a nice option to have.

Was I wrong in my analysis?

I'm a former English teacher, have some training in scientific method, and am sometimes also a literalist, so when you ask a question like "Was I wrong in my analysis?" I want to examine that.

If your conclusion had been that Diamond's DA40 is safer than either the SR20 or SR22, then you'd be in safe territory. The Diamond fleet has a stellar safety record, there's no doubt about that. Cirrus went through a time when they had an accident rate that was below average, though they turned that around and now the accident rate is about half of the GA average. Clearly, the DA40 is a safer airplane.

I think that if you had examined why the DA40 is safer, you would have found the information that would show how you're not making the appropriate comparison. It weighs about 15% less than the SR20, stalls 10% slower, and cruises 10 knots slower. It will simply have less energy in a crash, and less energy means less damage and chance of injury or death. The comparison to the SR22 shows an even bigger difference (35 knots slower, weighing 1/3 less). The main commonality is that they're both modern designs, but this doesn't make the DA40 a good control to compare safety of the bigger, faster SR20 or SR22. They're performing different missions.

There aren't a lot of facts or data in your presentation, so that makes it tough to follow along to the leap you make in your conclusion. The little bit of safety data is cherry-picked from Diamond's marketing materials, and using a metric that is not the industry standard (I'm not even sure what "1000 airplane-years" really means). You rightly point out that there are limitations with a BRS or CAPS system, though the deployment envelope was honestly bigger than I would have imagined.

Cirrus did have a fatal accident rate that was much worse than the GA average until about 2012, so it's valid to be critical of that. The total accident rate, however, was (and is) very good. Industry analysis seems to conclude that Cirrus pilots were reluctant to pull the chute, and with that slippery, high performance airframe, were getting deeper into trouble and could not recover. Since then, however, Cirrus has focused on safety training, and now the fatal accident rate is half of the GA fleet, and significantly better than other airplanes in its performance category.

A real skipper goes down with the boat.
HA! Fair enough. Sometimes even the band! ..in contrast that reminds of the Costa Concordia captain, wasn't he one of the first OFF the ship so he could "direct" the evacuation? He ended up doing time I think

A real skipper goes down with the boat.;)

Kids these days...no respect for tradition. :rolleyes:

hqdefault.jpg

The skipper goes down with the ship....who came up with that idea..???

Back