Parable of Leadership

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Today’s Parable of Leadership and a question for thought. But first, a relevant joke:

An Air Force General, Navy Admiral and Army General were talking about how brave their men were.
The Air Force General orders an Airman to stop a C-17 from landing with his hands and gets run over by the plane. The Air Force General says, "That is bravery."
The Navy Admiral orders a Sailor to stop a destroyer with his hands; the sailor jumps in the water without hesitation and tries to slow the destroyer and drowns. The Admiral says, "No, that's bravery."
The Army General orders a Private to stop a tank and the Private turns to the general and says "With all due respect, Go screw yourself, Sir!" The General turns to his peers and says "Gentleman, now THAT is bravery."

Now the parable:
A Sage Master accepts only 10 apprentices to teach them his art and discipline of Leadership. Before being accepted, each student must take an Oath of Allegiance. The Oath, says “I will obey the word of the Master as I would obey the Word of God.” The Sage accepts their Oaths. He trains them in the Northwestern U.S. Once per year the students are sent to a different area of the country and given an assignment and return once the assignment is complete. Over time, apprentices are dismissed for one reason or another or they resign from the training. After 10 years, only 2 remain. They are sent to Arlington – one to Arlington, Texas and the other to Arlington, Virginia to await further instructions. They are told specifically where to wait. They are waiting on the tracks of an abandoned Railroad.

A few weeks later, a Railroad worker comes to each of them and says, “We’re going to restart the trains again.” The students humbly thank the worker and the worker disappears. A few weeks later, still standing their posts, a train comes by each location. Student A, gets off the tracks but Student B does not and he is hit and loses a leg. The leg is replaced with an artificial limb. They are both recalled to the Sage’s training grounds.

The Sage is in his study writing letters of instruction, while the students are waiting for him. He has two blank sheets of paper. Starting the first letter he writes, “You have exceeded the bounds of my training curriculum for you. I can teach you nothing new. You may inherit the mantle of leadership and begin the new generation of apprentices” and then the Sage dies with the pen in his hand and the other page still blank.

Which apprentice should be the new Sage and why? What happens with the other apprentice when the next generation’s apprentices arrive? Imagine given your answer that the school survives 1,000 years to conduct instruction the same way. What becomes of its students? What effect do they have on the world?

Discuss.

Last edited:
Neither. Some traditions are stupid and should die.

It was a decisive straightforward answer of "neither", and none of the follow up questions applied.

The ultimate question is if Master (God?) tells you to wait on the train track, do you move when the train comes?

I move.

I like my legs. I see them every day. They are pretty, They work for me.
Master just tried to kill me with a train.

I give the prize money to the guy that moved. He can think for himself.

Also, I file a lawsuit against the estate of the dead master for attempting to orchestrate manslaughter.

Neither. Some traditions are stupid and should die.

These guys made an oath to a "Sage Master". Is there something that makes him so special it's worth being run over by a train? What is his contribution to society?

The ultimate question is if Master (God?) tells you to wait on the train track, do you move when the train comes?

I move.

Also, I file a lawsuit against the estate of the dead master for attempting to orchestrate manslaughter.

What good are legs if you don't use them once in a while? Were they sitting all those weeks/months? Standing? Able to leave to get something to eat or to poop? Why weren't they forcibly evicted? Sounds like the RR dropped the ball on this one.

It was a decisive straightforward answer of "neither", and none of the follow up questions applied.

I take issue with a "neither" response. Two men remaining pledged to follow the Sage's orders. Both survived. One of them will assume the leadership mantle regardless of what you or I think. Why? Because it's the nature of diversity on our planet. No matter how bizarre (you or I think) the philosophy, someone will always be willing to follow it with zeal. I hope we can agree on this prima facie point.

I move.

We'll have to ask Edfred if that's true. :D

I take issue with a "neither" response. Two men remaining pledged to follow the Sage's orders. Both survived. One of them will assume the leadership mantle regardless of what you or I think. Why? Because it's the nature of diversity on our planet. No matter how bizarre (you or I think) the philosophy, someone will always be willing to follow it with zeal. I hope we can agree on this prima facie point.

Or both of them say, "WTF, he tried to kill us, screw that, I'm going to live my own life." That's why people leave religion.

Which apprentice should be the new Sage and why?
One of the previous 8 who was out gaining real leadership skills and experience while the two finalists were following, not leading.

Nauga,
and his false dichotomy

"I've got two legs from my hips to the ground and
when I move 'em they walk arround and
when I lift 'em they climb the stairs and
when I shave 'em they ain't got hairs."

Nauga,
with apologies to Python

I like sage on my chicken on occasion, is Sage Master like Gravy Master?

The test given was a test of loyalty and obedience not leadership.

My nod goes to the first guy who figured out the test was ridiculous and walked away. If I must choose one of the two, obviously the one who had enough sense to not get run over but wow neither of those guys are someone I'd want running my company or leading anything in my military organization.

Student A goes on to become the President of the United States and his cousin, student B, goes on to become the leader of Boko Harem.

Blind obedience to any person or ideology is what get things like the Khmer Rouge going, and is always a bad idea.

the assignment, not reading too much into it, was to wait on abandoned railroad tracks. once the trains started up again, they were no longer abandoned, so suck it sage master.

The student who stepped off the track has exhibited the hazardous attitude known as Anti-authority.
'Why should I listen to you?'
This attitude usually surfaces upon people who have non conformist tendencies. Pilot that express such an attitude are usually resentful towards comments and/or advice from others, be it superiors or subordinates. The also tend to disregard operating procedures, rules and regulations. However, there is a fine line that lies between 'anti-authority' and the natural prerogative to question to authority especially when there is an error suspected. Many mistake anti-authority as a solution to balance out the 'power gradient' in the cockpit. Hence it is only wise for pilots to bring up issues that they feel go against protocol after checking and rechecking.
The student who played chicken with the train suffers from the hazardous attitude Invulnerability.
'Nah I dont think it'll happen to me!'
Despite the fact that mishaps in aviation do have a rather low percentage probability, many still rest assured on this fact and oft take it for granted. Such attitudes would compromise vigilance and cause pilots to overlook certain issues that they feel are of less importance (going thru checklist twice, good lookout). Remember accidents can happen to ANYONE!
The antidotes are: Follow the rules, they are usually right, and It could happen to me.

I'm afraid neither is ready to solo and become a leader. They fight over the letter and in addition to having two legs and better judgment, the one who leaped off the tracks has the advantage in the brawl. He scrawls out on the blank page: "By way of blind obedience and self-sacrifice, you have proven yourself as an ideal follower. There is nothing more you can learn and you will never lead. You will be my right-hand man, do my bidding, and legitimize my authority." 1000 years later, they climb aboard a modified DC-8 and ferry a busload of thetans to meet the original sage, Xenu.

I move.

I like my legs.

I make myself small and remain between the rails where I remain uninjured as the train passes over me.

I like my legs, but I manage to keep them and fulfill the mission.

I'll take the one legged guy for my Mate though, he may not be bright, and he may not be fast, but I can count on him to hang in there and not run when I need him. After I wisen him up a bit, he'll make a fine leader. The Master however was not much of a master as he hadn't taught him how to adapt.

The other guy I can't trust not to panic.

Last edited:
The guy that got hit by the train was probably Brian with an i

One of the previous 8 who was out gaining real leadership skills and experience while the two finalists were following, not leading.

Nauga,
and his false dichotomy

......and, GREAT avatar!

I make myself small and remain between the rails where I remain uninsured as the train passes over me.

I would think it's a better idea to have insurance if you are going to try that.

I'll take the one legged guy for my Mate though, he may not be bright, and he may not be fast, but I can count on him to hang in there and not run when I need him.

You bet the one legged guy is not going to run!

I'll take the one legged guy for my Mate though, he may not be bright, and he may not be fast, but I can count on him to hang in there and not run when I need him. After I wisen him up a bit, he'll make a fine leader. The Master however was not much of a master as he hadn't taught him how to adapt.

Stick a peg-leg on him, and eye patch, and a parrot on his shoulder and he's a perfect fit for a yacht.

We obey 'as we would God.' Many do not obey God- and certainly not all the time.

A careful review of life on Earth shows that it is initiative which is rewarded, both by God and Man. The idiot who stayed on the tracks is the 9th failee. The one who got off is the one who accept the mantle of leadership because knowing when to bend a rule and maintain one's self is the one of the keys to leadership. . . .

Back