Panic attacks (update)

Dale Young

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Young
Awhile back, I had started to have panic attacks. Frequent ones. I posted here looking for advise. What I got was alotta people saying that I should have posted namelessly so as to not identify myself. I didnt agree with it. People can have problems.. Even people that are pilots. Silence can be deadly.

Flash forward to now.
Since I posted that, I had dropped almost completely off of Mt. Dew, McDonald's sweet tea,as well as many caffinated drinks, in hopes that it would help me. I have come to understand that these drinks can exacerbate these attacks. It took a while but, I am glad to report that I havent had an attack in MONTHS!! This appearently had been the reason. I also used to grind my teeth constantly. This has also subsided considerably.
Just wanted to post this. I hope if anyone else has been going through this, that this helps you as well.

Glad you were able to find a non drug solution!

Now get back to flying!

Good for you!!

But I still want to know... if the secret was reduction of sugar and caffeine, it's gonna to make one wonder about the police force and donut shops...

Interesting related question, easy to find stories where folks claim diet(juicing or paleo for example) cured some serious illnesses. Giving them the benefit of the doubt how would you prove it to the medical gatekeepers?

Interesting related question, easy to find stories where folks claim diet(juicing or paleo for example) cured some serious illnesses. Giving them the benefit of the doubt how would you prove it to the medical gatekeepers?

Not sure how I could prove it. I just thank God that it seems to be working for me. It seems as if the caffeine/sugar relationship may have been my "trigger".
For those who have ever experienced a panic attack, they are horrible.

Lots of caffeine in Mountain Dew. There could also be a lot in Tea depending on where you get it and how many ounces. Lots of strange things happen with caffeine on board or in many cases, missing. I know I start the day with 3-4 cups of Dunkin Bold I brew at home (40 or so ounces). On those days when I am running late or have an early meeting, usually leave without any. There is a mid morning slump to follow.
And my work mate cannot get through the afternoon without coffee.
Good for you for cutting it out. I'm not sure I'd ever give up my coffee altogether.

I'm a bit of a caffeine addict myself, I go through "about" 4 cups of good coffee in the morning, then switch to tea after lunch, and I was starting to get concerned about it. My last full physical (non-AME) I asked her about it, she gave me the 20-question routine and finally said that I was not exhibiting anything that got her excited about it medically, and if it didn't bother me in any other way then continue as I desired. I've never had any issues that I could directly associate with the caffeine intake other than frequent trips to the restroom to recycle the fluids!

I do restrict my intake before flights, for the obvious reason of not having a restroom handy.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back