Panel Timeline

It's not a Mooney, it's a Skywagon ;) I've got enough to get me where I need to go. IFR isn't the planes mission, it's just a nice to have every once in a while.

Understood... I was just offering up an alternative to 650 lust that's a fair bit cheaper. ;)

However... A Skywagon is a do-anything machine! The IFR part is for getting the heck out of Wisconsin so you can go on your Idaho backcountry adventure. ;) And VOR navigation is quickly becoming a thing of the past, and if you ever want another autopilot for those get-out-of-the-Midwest trips you're going to want a panel mount GPS to drive it. Just sayin'...

Understood... I was just offering up an alternative to 650 lust that's a fair bit cheaper. ;)

However... A Skywagon is a do-anything machine! The IFR part is for getting the heck out of Wisconsin so you can go on your Idaho backcountry adventure. ;) And VOR navigation is quickly becoming a thing of the past, and if you ever want another autopilot for those get-out-of-the-Midwest trips you're going to want a panel mount GPS to drive it. Just sayin'...
Yeah, what Kent said.

Meh autopilots are heavy and a point of failure. My plane flies great hands-off anyway. True about VOR navigation... At some point I imagine I'll swap the GNC255 for a GTN650 (or whatever is out at the time)... but until that day happens I like having a $500 VFR GPS navigator and VOR back-up. I have other things to spend the 12-15k on in the mean time. But, yes spending other people's money is a blast.

Nice. Who cut the panel for you ? CNC shop?

What multiplier to use on parts to cover installation? 1.5 times the cost of what you pay for new Garmin whatnots ?

What multiplier to use on parts to cover installation? 1.5 times the cost of what you pay for new Garmin whatnots ?

There are a lot of variables to that question, but I would double the cost of the equipment.

There are a lot of variables to that question, but I would double the cost of the equipment.

Ugh - But better to know the hard facts for planning. Experimental plane is looking better and better - not only for initial cost but for what looks like saving a substantial amount on panel upgrades.

Definitely depends. On our big upgrade (GTN 750, GTX 345, GMA 350c), it was about 1.6x.

On our more recent little upgrade (GI 275, Insight G3) it was about 2x.

In reality, it's probably a fixed number, plus equipment times multiplier. There's a lot of stuff that just ends up happening anyway (interior removal, for example) that costs the same no matter how much or how little you're doing.

It also depends on what you're doing. Swapping a new GPS? Probably close to 1.1x. Putting in a new autopilot? That's 2.0x. Also, it's not like you have to do an upgrade every year. I am planning on not touching my avionics for 10 years after this upgrade is done.

But yes, one of the appeals to an experimental is cheaper upgrades. There are a lot of downsides too.....like having to build it, but thats for another thread.

My idea of an experimental is buying an RV9a with 200 hours and my “build” would be panel upgrade, put in more finishing touches to the cockpit, change the oil, and then continually tinker with “just one more thing” I could do. But nothing that would keep it grounded for a long period

It also depends on what you're doing. Swapping a new GPS? Probably close to 1.1x.

Disagree... A modern GPS/Nav/Com connects to a lot of other things. If you're talking about swapping from a GNS 430/530 to an Avidyne 440/540/550, sure... But a modern GPS install is gonna cost $5K above the equipment no matter how you do it, so it might be as high as 2.0 or as low as 1.3, with the more expensive units going toward the lower multiplier.

Disagree... A modern GPS/Nav/Com connects to a lot of other things. If you're talking about swapping from a GNS 430/530 to an Avidyne 440/540/550, sure... But a modern GPS install is gonna cost $5K above the equipment no matter how you do it, so it might be as high as 2.0 or as low as 1.3, with the more expensive units going toward the lower multiplier.

And that is why it is so hard to give an answer to "how much do avionics cost".

Details please ! G 3, G5 for back up, GTN 650, GTN 750, GTX 345, and a G500 autopilot ? Somewhat close?

Last edited:
Details please ! G 3, G5 for back up, GTN 650, GTN 750, GTX 345, and a G500 autopilot ? Someday close?

Very close, that is a Garmin 530 below the 650. We already owned it and it was freshly overhauled so we decided to keep it as our #2.

2017 - the day I bought

1.JPG

2.JPG

2017 - After annual (one month in). Note the JPI 830 on the left corner

3.JPG

2018 Mar - Dual G5, JPI 830 moved next to the MFD

4.JPG

2019 - Aug - among few other things, Aerospace Logic FL202D + CEIS Fuel senders

5.JPG

2020 - May - after a whole lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

6.JPG

Back