Painting exterior trim

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by 4RNB, Mar 18, 2021.

1. 4RNB

4RNB Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    4RNB
    So when I bought my plane the prebuy mechanic, also a CFI, suggested taking the wheel skirts/pants off. I expect in the next week or two to replace two tires and put the pants back on, I am currently cleaning and waxing old parts. The trim pieces have paint coming off.

What should I paint the exterior plane plastics with? Thanks

2. Jdm

Jdm Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jdm
    Did the CFI/Mechanic help you update the W&B and make a logbook entry for removing the wheel pants?
    If you have a auto paint supply that actually mixes, and loads spray cans you can get decent results with touch ups.

3. Huckster79

Huckster79 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Huckster79
    i bought a $15 paint gun (known as “the purple gun”) from harbor freight- its Uber popular in the experimental world... then I have my local car place mix me paint... I bought the “detail” gun it’s the smaller of the two purple guns. Works great and it’s as easy to use as a rattle can.

most important step is the prep and primer- use good primer! I like epoxy primer, it’s pricey but it sticks to anything! Plastic/aluminum and doesn’t flake off. First paint I did I used self etch primer and am not happy with it, all that I did with epoxy I’m really happy with.

I bought the acid wash and alodine stuff too.

it’s not difficult but if you want it to last it’s a bit meticulous, but hey hangar hours are fun hours

4. Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dan Thomas
    If you're painting ABS plastic stuff, like wingtip and tail fairings and some wheel fairings, ordinary paints don't stick that well. SEM has paints for interior stuff, but I don't know if they have exterior grades. There are several steps to get a good bond on the plastic. https://www.semproducts.com/blog/4-easy-steps-to-refinishing-interior-plastic

I've used their interior paints and they're awesome. You can get it at auto shops. If they have no exterior-grade stuff, you might try using an automotive enamel, but wipe the plastic with a bit of MEK first to prime it, then paint immediately. The MEK will soften the plastic and the paint will fuse into it.

"So when I bought my plane the prebuy mechanic, also a CFI, suggested taking the wheel skirts/pants off."

Does this imply that there are male and female airplanes?

Huckster79 likes this.