Painting a Compass Rose?

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Hello everyone,

Dumb question here. I just got invited to an airport compass rose painting on Saturday.

Am I to assume that all of us are painting - by hand? (I mean, how many pilots does it take to screw in a light bulb, I mean paint a compass, um, nevermind . . . )

I've never been to one and didn't know how long it will last, what to bring, if I should wear paint clothes, etc.

I would normally ask the person who invited me but she is so busy it often takes her several days to get back to me if I call or email - and this event is less than 48 hours away.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kimberly

Thanks, great photos, when viewed as "slideshow" they actually show the painting from start to finish.

Very cool.

I guess I will need my painting clothes!

I have also helped a few times. It seems like it normally takes a few hours. It depends if it's laid out already or not. I would definitely wear painting clothes and shoes you don't mind getting paint on.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=724826&postcount=37

The organizer got back to me. They expect 9am - 3pm which is quite a long day but it is 60 feet across and I'm not sure how many people are helping. She said they already did the layout.

I can't afford to fly this weekend, but hey - at least I will be at an airport and that counts for something.

Pilots, please !! They are not going to be picking on the newbie here. I've known all of them / most of them since February and attend meetings etc.

There will be no joking around, this is serious airport business...... which makes me wonder if there is a NOTAM about us? I have never been part of a NOTAM before.

I have done many airmarkings. They are lots of fun. Wear lots of sunscrean. You will be tired at the end of the day so make sure you get a good nights rest.

I would definitely wear painting clothes and shoes you don't mind getting paint on.

I am sure Kimberly has some old high heels that would fit the bill.:D

As for what to wear: I don't know about you, but I can't seem to paint anything without getting more paint on me than on the work.:D

Hello everyone,

Dumb question here. I just got invited to an airport compass rose painting on Saturday.

Am I to assume that all of us are painting - by hand? (I mean, how many pilots does it take to screw in a light bulb, I mean paint a compass, um, nevermind . . . )

I've never been to one and didn't know how long it will last, what to bring, if I should wear paint clothes, etc.

I would normally ask the person who invited me but she is so busy it often takes her several days to get back to me if I call or email - and this event is less than 48 hours away.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kimberly

Is this being done by the 99s? They seem to do a lot of that. If you go to their website, and search "Palmyra" (88C) which is a very nice airport in Wisconsin, it will pull up their October 2010 newsletter, I think, which has several compass rose painting events. Some seem huge, others are more modest, but all seem like fun.

Silly pilots. I was asking what to wear because I didn't know if everyone painted - or if there were jobs like:

Event photographer
Donut go-getter
Planning / Layout / Design (like inside at a desk)
Cheerleader (just kidding)

But you get the idea.

I've painted before - everything from interior rooms to exterior houses with industrial paint sprayer machines. So I have paint clothes.

And I knew I'd get silly replies. That is ok.

Not sure how one guy knew I only wear heels though. I had to buy flats after my first flight lesson! Rudders hate heels.

Kimberly

PS- It is ON like Donkey Kong! Tomorrow morning, 9am. I'll try to remember to bring the good camera for better photos.

My wife suggested that since the first president of the 99's was Amelia Earhart, appropriate attire for a 99's event like this would be leather jacket, oxford shirt, jodphurs, and riding boots (leather helmet optional).

Trace, is Kim your alter ego? I didn't know you were a pilot, Trace!

(Just kidding, Kim)

Kimberly, at least you knew enough NOT to ask how they determined true North///

Personally, I prefer the stick method where you stand it up and use the shadow thrown off by Polaris at exactly midnight to mark the line...

denny-o

Accidentally left my camera at the BF house - so have not been able to post any pictures yet.

It was a fun time and yes, I got all covered in blue paint! Brought the BF though he was mostly the photographer / paint pourer. I think he wanted to stay away from all the women fighting over who paints what triangle and how.

Of course, I also told my favorite joke (from Mythbusters):

Q: What is red, and smells like blue paint?

A: Red paint.

Back