Paint Shops on east coast?

gkdave

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Does anyone know where to find some paint shops on the east coast. Want to get my Piper Warrior painted but having a tough time finding a paint shop at a reasonable price. So far been qouted $12k. Seems really high.

Any ideas? thanks for the help

The paint shop in Oxford Maine did one of the AOPA giveaway airplanes. I've seen another they did, the Vegas Viper Commanche.

Top quality gets top $$

Curtis Aviation, Pittsfield, Maine Airport painted mine in 1992, 8 years before I bought it. She's still holding very well. Pittsfield is about the last airport you'll see before Bangor International Airport(former Dow AF Base) when you're heading North. It's only a short way before Bangor.

HR

$12k seems a little on the high side (maybe), but not by much. I figured a reputable shop would charge at least $10k for a total strip/repaint.

Most shops charge between $8-$15K for a newly built RV-10. Add stripping to that and $12K sounds about right.

Wish I could remember the name but we have used a shop in WV for some Navajos.

In addition to the paint shop in Lancaster PA I've heard great things about the paint shop at Princeton NJ.

Billy Rose at Ona Airpark- 12V. 304-521-five three two three.

Gene Mason at KAFP. 704-984-zero one four four.

$12k for a strip/paint is pretty reasonable.
If you want I can PM a breakdown on cost.

Does anyone know where to find some paint shops on the east coast. Want to get my Piper Warrior painted but having a tough time finding a paint shop at a reasonable price. So far been qouted $12k. Seems really high.

Any ideas? thanks for the help
Three very good ones:

Ed's Aircraft Refinishing, Brookhaven NY
Reese Aircraft, Robbinsville NJ and Stewart Field NY.
Jim Russell, Chorman Field, Felton DE.

Blame the chemical companies, blame the EPA, blame whoever, but yes, that's what it's gonna cost ya, Chief, for a good job.

The paint shop in Oxford Maine did one of the AOPA giveaway airplanes. I've seen another they did, the Vegas Viper Commanche.

Top quality gets top $$
I have heard that Oxford Maine is one of the best shops in the country.

My Baron was painted there (well before I owned it). Done 10 years ago and it is still in outstanding shape.

Three very good ones:

Ed's Aircraft Refinishing, Brookhaven NY
Reese Aircraft, Robbinsville NJ and Stewart Field NY.
Jim Russell, Chorman Field, Felton DE.

Blame the chemical companies, blame the EPA, blame whoever, but yes, that's what it's gonna cost ya, Chief, for a good job.
Is $12k really the going rate for a 4 seat single?

When I was doing my 170 two years ago, I shopped around SoCal and the going rate for a top quality job was $8-10k.

What should a wings-only paint job run as a percentage of the full aircraft quote? My layman guess would be to say 50% off the full quote but I've heard the fuselage is more labor intensive? I have no need for the fuselage to be touched, only the wings. The aircraft is white, which makes it cheaper I suppose.

Oxford is utter crap. They are coasting on a reputation they built 15 years ago. They charge a premium price for inferior results. Very unhappy with the work they did on my Pop's plane... Myself and my two brothers went in together to have his 310 painted there for his 65'th b-day.

I've seen a bunch of nice jobs that came out of Ed's in Brookhaven. Wish we had used him instead but got suckered by the "premium" reputation of Oxford.

Oxford is utter crap. They are coasting on a reputation they built 15 years ago. They charge a premium price for inferior results. Very unhappy with the work they did on my Pop's plane... Myself and my two brothers went in together to have his 310 painted there for his 65'th b-day.

I've seen a bunch of nice jobs that came out of Ed's in Brookhaven. Wish we had used him instead but got suckered by the "premium" reputation of Oxford.

Oxford, stay away! Screwed up friends plane.

Thanks for the head's up....guess I got lucky. My plane must have been through there before they went downhill. I'd have to look at the logs, but I think it was around 12 years ago that it was actually done.

Thanks guys.. Guess $12k isn't bad, but I have heard some shops in Florida are great and bit cheaper. I just don't know how to find them. Did searches on internet, but only find big jet company paint shops.

I wish Maaco did planes, I would taxi on down there..lol..

What would be the average time frame to get completed? One place I talked to said about 9 weeks. Seems like a long time.

A LOT of companies are changing to "green" conversion coatings and "green" primers at the cost of quality. The trend will not end. Start calling body shops in California and ask them how the new formulas are working.

I have heard that Oxford Maine is one of the best shops in the country.

My Baron was painted there (well before I owned it). Done 10 years ago and it is still in outstanding shape.

An example of paint quality BEFORE EPA tried to squeeze all the isocyanates out of paint....

For a high quality job? Yes.
Any idea why it is higher on the east coast?

I've noticed that with a lot of things aviation related that suprised me. Cost of living in California is much higher than many other places in the US, but as far as aviation goes, from aircraft rental rates, to shop labor rates...to now paint shops, it seems California was actually cheaper to operate an aircraft in.

Any idea why it is higher on the east coast?

I've noticed that with a lot of things aviation related that suprised me. Cost of living in California is much higher than many other places in the US, but as far as aviation goes, from aircraft rental rates, to shop labor rates...to now paint shops, it seems California was actually cheaper to operate an aircraft in.

Property tax on them in CA? Hangar rent?

Property tax on them in CA? Hangar rent?
Yes, but the property tax/hangar costs would make you expect that it would cost more in CA to paint an airplane....not and average of $2k less.

Exactly two years ago I got quotes from 3 paint shops in SoCal - all top reputation shops (I ignored the ones in Pacific Flyer that offered $5-6k jobs). For full strip, prep and two color paint, the quotes ranged from $8-$10k.

Yes, but the property tax/hangar costs would make you expect that it would cost more in CA to paint an airplane....not and average of $2k less.

Exactly two years ago I got quotes from 3 paint shops in SoCal - all top reputation shops (I ignored the ones in Pacific Flyer that offered $5-6k jobs). For full strip, prep and two color paint, the quotes ranged from $8-$10k.

Illegal immigrant labor.

A lot has happened nationwide in 2 years, to the cost of materials.
What I could buy for $400/gal 2 years ago, now costs me $800/gal.
Of course I could buy the cheaper stuff, but I have to stand behind my work.

A lot has happened nationwide in 2 years, to the cost of materials.
What I could buy for $400/gal 2 years ago, now costs me $800/gal.
Of course I could buy the cheaper stuff, but I have to stand behind my work.
Possibly, but Gregg did have a very valid point. In SoCal, the labor force in those kinds of shops is by and large full of 'undocumented workers'.

Brookhaven is kind of hard to find from the roads. Last weekend I was driving around looking at airports before a late afternoon wedding in Ronkonkoma. It is tricky finding the correct left turn off William Floyd Parkway.

Dawn Drive, if I recall correctly. There used to be an airport sign and an arrow there, but it was positioned in such a way that it was easy to miss from the parkway.

-Rich

Back