Paint Restoration and Preservation Tips

MajorTurbulence

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MajorTurbulence
This has probably been asked before so apologies. But I’m interested in tips for paint restoration. My paint job is about 14 yrs old and still looks good from a distance, but has much of the surfaces exposed to to light and uv with oxidation as the plane has been tied down outside. There has been a canopy cover used all the time so the discrepancy can be seen compared to areas uncovered by that canopy cover. The left side of the plane is exposed to continuously southern sun exposure. There are only a few areas where paint has flaked off on the rear wing area, but otherwise paint is still respectable. I should note that a quality paint from DuPont was used, but probably not Imron.

After the first few years, I was gung-ho regarding cleaning and waxing, but really not much done since to the outside paint except for washing at annual.

So, what are the the best methods to rejuvenate and protect what is there. Not very familiar with cleaners/solutions except for the usual automotive cleaning soaps and waxes and abrasive compounds.
Intrigued about ceramic coatings but may not be appropriate for this setting.

I bought a DA polisher from Harbor Freight to attempt a facelift of my classic corvette, but really, I don’t know how to use it yet without doing damage.

Last edited:
I bought a DA polisher from Harbor Freight to attempt a facelift of my classic corvette, but really, I don’t know how to use it yet without doing damage.

Do NOT use it on your plane. Airplane paint is much thinner than automotive paint and you can do damage very rapidly.

Best bet is to find and hire an expert to give it a thorough rejuvenation / detailing. Ask your paint shop. For a few hundred bucks it's worth it to get it done right and not risk damage.

My plane needs paint and is going into the paint shop next month, but when I first bought it I hired a guy to make it a bit more presentable and it's been okay for a couple of years now (hangared). Unless you know what you're doing, you can screw it up faster than you can say "wax on - wax off."

Sunquest at KPAE repainted my airplane in 2013 (plus new windshield, fairings, wingtips, etc.). Just last year, 10 years later, there were a few isolated spots showing signs of corrosion just beginning to develop, and other areas where the paint was peeing or faded. I'm happy with that, since my airplane is tied down outside. I took it back to Sunquest for a refresh. Not a whole new paint job, but to their detail shop to address the issues with isolated stripping, treating and repainting. The plane looks like new again, will probably go another 10 years before it needs attention, and the total cost was about 1/3 of a complete repaint.

The best thing you can do to preserve your paint is park your airplane in a hangar. But in my area, hangars are so hard to get and even if you can get them, so expensive the extra cost could buy me a full repaint every year. So a hangar must wait until I retire and move to a rural area with cheaper hangars.

So, what is the the best methods to rejuvenate and protect what is there. Not very familiar with cleaners/solutions except for the usual automotive cleaning soaps and waxes and abrasive compounds.
Intrigued about ceramic coatings but may not be appropriate for this setting.

Learn to use the buffer on something that isn't an airplane. Then use it to rejuvenate the paint on the airplane. Ain't that hard, but you can screw it up and cause yourself a lot of problems. Buffers can "grab an edge" and bend things. Don't want that. Buffers can be used too aggressively and burn or cut through the paint. Don't want that. There are several common ways to screw it up. Best to experience that on your beater car than on your airplane.

Buffers can "grab an edge" and bend things. Don't want that. Buffers can be used too aggressively and burn or cut through the paint. Don't want that.
... especially in regards to rivets. Don't ask me how I know this!

So, what is the the best methods to rejuvenate and protect what is there.
If your paint is mechanically sound, find a paint supplier that handles Dupont coatings and talk with them. There are a number of chemically based paint rejuvenators that really work. These systems can be a bit pricey but worth it in the long run if you're serious on prolonging your paint. If it is too expensive, my go to DIY route is to get a gallon of Aero Gloss or equivalent and clean up your existing paint even if it takes several applications. Once you're satisfied with the look, seal the paint with Rejex, and reapply once or twice a year. Plus always keep the aircraft exterior clean. And as mentioned above, all this work is via elbow grease and no powered buffers. Too many "high" points on small monocoque aircraft.

Aeroglaze is nice to use. It comes in different dilutions.
It can be sprayed, wiped, sponged on. It does not even have to be removed and offers protection.
Hand buffing it with a towel will make you a believer. I have also used an orbital buffer and it.

On an another Cherokee it had a thick paint re-finish on it I used a true buffer(spins,no orbital)and 3M compound and polish worked well when there enough paint. Then finish with a orbital polish to remove swirl scratches.

Aero Glaze you can not harm your plane with it, none of it.
I use it wet sometimes, melts bugs and sometimes I let dry before wiping it off.
Does not hurt windows, only makes them cleaner. If over spray is left on top the wing, no biggie as it will offer protection and wipe off easily months later and leave a silky smooth surface.

IMG_4163.jpeg

Last edited:
Sunquest at KPAE repainted my airplane in 2013 (plus new windshield, fairings, wingtips, etc.). Just last year, 10 years later, there were a few isolated spots showing signs of corrosion just beginning to develop, and other areas where the paint was peeing or faded. I'm happy with that, since my airplane is tied down outside. I took it back to Sunquest for a refresh. Not a whole new paint job, but to their detail shop to address the issues with isolated stripping, treating and repainting. The plane looks like new again, will probably go another 10 years before it needs attention, and the total cost was about 1/3 of a complete repaint.

The best thing you can do to preserve your paint is park your airplane in a hangar. But in my area, hangars are so hard to get and even if you can get them, so expensive the extra cost could buy me a full repaint every year. So a hangar must wait until I retire and move to a rural area with cheaper hangars.
Nice idea. I don’t have a hangar for the same reasons. Unfortunately my paint shop, Prestige, is just under 2 hrs away by plane north of Burlington, which is difficult since not open on weekends.

Thanks to the commenters about the DA polisher. It is clear that it should be reserved for destroying my Corvette paint, should I choose to use it.

Last edited:
The use of chemicals seem to offer the most promise for me, and those suggestions require me to learn more about them. If I’m reading it right, there is the need of some kind of abrasive compounding and elbow grease to accomplish at least the initial steps to rejuvenation.

This is pretty good stuff to use. It can be used by hand and with buffer or polisher. Compound first then the polish.
MVC-012S-3.jpg

If I’m reading it right, there is the need of some kind of abrasive compounding and elbow grease to accomplish at least the initial steps to rejuvenation.
Some of the OEM specific products are simply a wipe on/wipe off type with minimal buffing. But sometimes abrasives are needed depending on the initial paint condition.

Is there any benefit to using a clay bar on aircraft cleaning preparation?

Is there any benefit to using a clay bar on aircraft cleaning preparation?
Depends. If you are open to try some of the paint OEM processes you may want to see if a clay bar or other similar products may interfere or cause additional work.

Back