Paint cost and supply shortages.

Jdm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jdm
What’s up with the price of paint lately? Average quality single stage urethane has jumped to $70 or more per quart. Getting kinda pricey to do a simple job!
Talked with a mechanic yesterday who was working an oil change. He’s having to go 100 hours on oil filters. Changing oil at 50 but skipping the filter. Unbelievable that we’re in this situation. Not sure what’s going on with our suppliers but hopefully we learn a big lesson from all of this!

I paid $80/gal for some high quality Benjy Moore interior latex wall paint about 8 weeks back. Sheesh!

A gallon of aircraft paint is well over $200 plus activator and reducer. That’s over $300 out the door!

Red is always more expensive - because everyone knows it makes the aircraft (or car) faster!

Don’t forget to factor in possible haz-mat charges if shipping by air.

I once ordered a rattle can of a special lube for a C-210 downlock. It came in a box about 2 foot cube that was packed with foam. Lube was not that expensive but the episode was pricey!

I just paid $58 a pint for Toyota Super Red base to finish a wheel arch repair on my wife's MR2.

Ok, I think I have an explanation for the paint prices. An old friend is in the industrial supplies business. He just received an email from corporate about paint prices. Email claims the price increase is due to a fire/explosion of a major chemical plant in St. Louis. They provided the majority of paint pigments for US industrial applications. The explosion killed 2 employees. Expect paint to be outrageously expensive until they figure out a way supply industrial demand.

My parents taught me “don’t put all your eggs in 1 basket”.

Whether it’s paint, baby formula, chips, etc….that’s exactly what these companies are doing. I wonder how the executives justify their exorbitant pay?

Back