PA32 Saratoga down in San Diego

MarcusSD

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marcus
Looks like they took off out of MYF headed north and turned back to the airport and put the plane down on the southbound lanes of the 5. Two on board taken to the hospital. Happened at 12:06pm local.

Attachments

• C4A4FCD5-F1EC-4288-A7E6-3C5D1661EF2E.png
    C4A4FCD5-F1EC-4288-A7E6-3C5D1661EF2E.png
    1 MB · Views: 70
Sounds like the pilot is ok, other than shaken up. One passenger of a vehicle went to the hospital with scrapes and bruises.

That's a mile from my house. Friend sent me this pic about 5 min after it happened. I never second guess any emergency landing. That said, the polo field used to host regular fly-ins and fairbanks has huge grass areas on Gates' property. Glad everyone appears to be OK
a088e99268fbaf134871733d2b359b58.jpg
df1c35a53f746e28c91f188d490d4714.jpg

Based on the FlightAware track, it looks like whatever happened up there was quick. Possible engine failure?

Based on the FlightAware track, it looks like whatever happened up there was quick. Possible engine failure?
Low and slow along the coast. We've all done it plenty of times. Not many options for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

News said pilot apologized and said the engine quit after just coming out of maintenance.

If y’all read the linked article you’d know what happened…classic mis-fueling.

From the witness that was struck:
“Our backseat is soaked in jet fuel. All my clothes and everything back there are drenched."

Jet-A will take a PA32 down quick. :rolleyes:

Just to give perspective of the area it shows the pilot had problems. I’ve flown up and down the coast numerous times. There’s not many areas to put a plane down during an emergency so the freeway is probably the safest option.

Attachments

• B4FC82E5-5B9C-4CBE-959F-F4A1CB9B3D21.jpeg
    B4FC82E5-5B9C-4CBE-959F-F4A1CB9B3D21.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 55
Just to give perspective of the area it shows the pilot had problems. I’ve flown up and down the coast numerous times. There’s not many areas to put a plane down during an emergency so the freeway is probably the safest option.

That big green track isn’t a good option?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If y’all read the linked article you’d know what happened…classic mis-fueling.

From the witness that was struck:
“Our backseat is soaked in jet fuel. All my clothes and everything back there are drenched."

Jet-A will take a PA32 down quick. :rolleyes:

And you believe her?

News said pilot apologized and said the engine quit after just coming out of maintenance.
I wonder what happened..

I have flown a handful of planes that were fresh out of maintenance and it doesn't hurt to do one or two laps around the pattern and an extra thorough (read; full power) run up

Not to say that would have prevented this but an extra two or three minutes on the ground can be worth it

Kudos to the pilot!! And love to see that the wings stayed on :)

Back