PA32 down. Waterloo, IL.

It never ceases to amaze me... you see some of these crashes with the cabin mostly intact and everybody is dead...then you see something totally trashed, like this one, and everybody walks away...

Really glad they got through it okay... God Bless...

Crumple zones and energy dissipation. You see it in Nascar wrecks. Its actually better when the cars tumble and roll for a long way as it dissipates the energy over a longer period of time reducing g forces. Whereas the Dale Sr crash didnt look that bad, but all the energy was sent right into him. Yeah not wearing a HANS contributed as well.

The issue with tumbling in an aircraft however would be the head getting bounced around inside the cabin.

Crumple zones and energy dissipation.

I get that. But crumple zones only work if the crumpling process doesn't continue long enough to cause you to begin to crumple...this thing is Mangled beyond recognition...

EDIT: And I don't recall hearing of crumple zones being engineered into a GA airplane of that vintage...

It sort of looks as if they nearly made it down intact, then the plane flipped. (I doubt that it hit in the inverted position, with all three merely banged up.)

It never ceases to amaze me... you see some of these crashes with the cabin mostly intact and everybody is dead...then you see something totally trashed, like this one, and everybody walks away...

Really glad they got through it okay... God Bless...

Looking at the pictures...incredible that they were able to walk away. I don't care if anything or everything else goes wrong today, this was a pi-day miracle.

To my utter amazement there was some fairly coherent reporting in the video. Sounds like there was a massive oil leak that obscured the windshield and a power loss at the same time. If that was the case I'd say he probably did a pretty good job under the circumstances.

I'm sure I'll be hearing about this since it's near my area and I'm also flying a PA-32 with a baby onboard.

Glad everyone survived hope they recover quickly.

Looks like he "greased" that one in.

I only joke because everyone walked away. PERFECT LANDING!!!

Back