PA32 down out of PDK

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by dwalt, May 8, 2015.

1. RV10flyer

RV10flyer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    RV10flyer
    "The following day the pilot sent a text message to the mechanic and said that the run-up was good, but he wasn't getting full rpm at full power while static."

If one is not seeing full rpm with a CS prop, you better get things checked out and cancel the trip by plane. On my takeoff roll, I am looking for 2700 and 25-26 gph.

arkvet likes this.
  2. midcap

midcap Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    midcap
    I only know a little about 172s

3. EppyGA

EppyGA Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Let's Fly
    What about 24lbs over in a plane you know wasn't performing as it should?

4. Fearless Tower

Fearless Tower Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fearless Tower
    I think the important point is that it probably would have still crashed if it was 24lbs under gross.

The fact that it was slightly over gross isn't what killed them. Just another nail in the coffin and points to a possibly bigger picture of poor decision making by the pilot.

Lawyers will zero in on it.

Somedudeintn likes this.
  5. EppyGA

EppyGA Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Let's Fly
    I don't disagree with that assessment. Truth is he shouldn't have been flying that plane.

6. scottfromboston

scottfromboston Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    On takeoff roll will this sort of malfunction (obstructed fuel system) show up on fuel flow?

FF isn't part of my check but perhaps should be added.

7. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    yes....FF will be lower. Also, an engine monitor will show an imbalance in EGTs and CHTs.

8. arkvet

arkvet Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Arkvet
    How would someone catch this aside from reading the numbers directly during the roll? I ask this because I have a JPI 830 in my IO-540 Saratoga. What exactly do you mean by "imbalances"? I know I have an alarm setting on my 830 for "DIF" which is low/high EGT difference. Could a FF issue cause a notable alarm on the 830 prior to being easily perceived by sound / feel? I ask these questions because although I love my 830 and it's part of my regular "in flight" scan I don't know how closely I could watch it's parameters while multitasking the takeoff roll.

9. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    The issue is lower HP produced due to the restricted fuel flow.....much like excessive leaning at full power. You'll have the max RPMs and Max MP...but less power. The only indication will be reduced fuel flow. If there were clogged injectors you'd have the classic leaned cylinder indication....with a lower CHT and higher EGT on that cylinder (but could be at peak EGT if the clog is not as severe).

So a quick scan of the FF and engine monitor would catch that IMHO.

10. midcap

Display Name:

Display name:
    midcap
    if worried about fuel flow, and the engine making HP, Could you also do some testing at different gross weights on how long it takes you to reach Vr?

I mean for example, lets say you and a Px with full fuel takes 10 seconds to hit Vr when the engine is functioning normally. So, if your timer you set is showing 20 seconds and Vr is not reached yet, I would wager it's a good time to abort, good idea? bad idea?

11. Fearless Tower

Fearless Tower Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fearless Tower
    Seems easier to calculate your takeoff distance (ground roll) for given conditions and note at what point on the runway you should be lifting off. That will also give you an idea of how much distance is available for abort if necessary.

12. midcap

Display Name:

Display name:
    midcap
    even better! ;)

I think that's why I like the airport I train out of so much. 6000 feet and no trees around. Plus there is another 500 feet off the runway that is just grass, then some lights and another 500 feet.

13. N747JB

N747JB Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    Not making full power with two on board is different than not making full power with 4 plus a dog and more luggage on board! He "had to get to the wedding." :frown::mad2:

14. VA Aviator

VA Aviator Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    VA Aviator
    To be fair, I'd like to know more about what the debris was. I'm sure the NTSB's lab is top notch, but is there anyone else out there better equipped to look at this? A university or....???

It would be nice to know if the "stuff" came from something commonly in use in fuel systems, whether in aircraft or in the distribution network.

Some older aircraft (commonly cubs) were equipped with glass bowl gascolators. Most have been replaced with metal for good reasons.

15. Rotero

Rotero Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rotero
    Last year we didn't have too much to learn from this unfortunate accident, besides it could happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime, as a tragic lotto where each of us have one or several numbers playing. With the NTSB report there is much to learn. Well, we can breathe again...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016