PA-46-500TP Down In KC Area

Maintenance related? Sounds like the pilot was quite a guy. Sad.

I thought longer maintenance? Weeks?

I’d wonder what was done, then what type of ground checks were completed prior to the flight? May be totally unrelated, just asking.

Do people take planes out or mx and just circle above the field?? Any time our club plane is touched in the shop we take it up and circle basically above the field. Just waiting for something bad to happen. Talk about/brief different engine out scenarios.

Do people take planes out or mx and just circle above the field?? Any time our club plane is touched in the shop we take it up and circle basically above the field. Just waiting for something bad to happen. Talk about/brief different engine out scenarios.

I always do if it’s flight control or engine related work. I request tower to allow me to circle climb above the airport and I’ll depart the top of the airspace and let them know when I’m done and leaving the area.

A few of these lately have been soon after leaving the ground, hardly a chance to ‘circle the airport’.

Yes, could be about anything, but certain instances call for the thorough preflight, then extended ground checks. With some checks & evaluation, may not even leave the ground.

A few years ago I had an issue I wanted to evaluate, along the lines of an earlier, possibly, partially obstructed fuel injector. After the inspection & cleaning, part included an extended, full power ground run. Some reasoning included a stable, full power run, longer than a normal takeoff period. Yes, I watched temps, prop wash & FOD concerns.

There may of been that distant hangar neighbor wondering, ‘what’s that fool doing over there’? Anyway, things checked & have been fine since.

I’m reminded of the ‘drive like you stole it’ sticker, or the ‘Italian tune-up’.

Back