PA 32 Locking latch

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
Few weeks ago the latch on my rear door started to get stuck and it required few forceful pulling on the door to unjam it. I sprayed inside of the latch mechanism with WD40 and it worked for few few times and then jammed again and this time the door would not open at all despite of mighty pulling back and forth on the door. Only way I though was to open the latch mechanism from inside. While trying to disassemble it the whole thing fell apart before I can see how it looks like from inside and take some pictures. I had no clue how to put it together so I went to my mechanic and he struggled with lots of cussing and gave up after 2 hours. I checked with other mechanic and he he says he had never done it before and doesn't want to touch it. There is no mention of it in piper service manual as per first mechanic. SO right now all the parts are sitting in a plastic box and I am regretting my mistake. I thought it would be an easy job for experienced mechanic but apparently not. Any ideas ?

Don’t have the visual in mind, maybe a closeup picture from someone?

Is it recoverable? Are we up to the salvage yard option yet? How about looking at a PA-32 nearby? Search a few up then get a look.

Don’t have the visual in mind, maybe a closeup picture from someone?

Is it recoverable? Are we up to the salvage yard option yet? How about looking at a PA-32 nearby? Search a few up then get a look.

I believe I have all the parts. Its just putting back together is tricky. Parts orientation is really complicated . Whoever designed this thing must have a IQ of 200

I remember replacing the spring in that door in mine....what a PIA. ;)

It surely a PIA
Do you know what kind of lubrication to use if and when it will be back together ?

Back