PA-32 down in SW MN

Unfortunately I think I know the pilot. He was the only one on board. I live only 15 miles from Windom, small community. Will be sad!

It was low VFR cross the border her in Iowa all day, with what appeared to be a thin overcast layer 1500-2000 feet AGL. I could see blue through it.

Sounds like he had a IFR flight plan on file, and should have been capable. Not sure about ice, never flew into it today although debated filing and trying it.

Everything east of fargo was soaked in low IFR and freezing fog. I don’t know the situation exactly at where he crashed, but every airport I looked since about 7 AM today trying to find out a place to go in MN was OVC 006 - OVC 008.
Is the plane de-ice equipped ?

Not likely to have been de-ice equipped. Some Saratogas have hot props, and I guess TKS is available after-market, but rare.

I flew into ANE at about 9:30pm on Sunday. The layer started at 2,700 on the approach and ended at about 1,900 MSL. That was enough time to put an 1/8" of mixed icing on my bird. That is pretty good accumulation rate for about 1 minute of exposure.

Back