PA-28R-200 Hydraulics

MJR Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MJR Pilot
Taking a CPL check ride soon in a Piper Arrow II and trying to understand some specific questions on the hydraulic system - the POH has a decent overview but couldn’t find answers to the following. Appreciate if this group has the answers. Many thanks!

1- Where is the hydraulic reservoir located and what type of hydraulic fluid is used? I believe the reservoir is located in the cowling close to the firewall, and the fluid is MIL-H-5606. Is this correct?

2 - Does the brake system use the same hydraulic reservoir as the landing gear? What I’m trying to understand is, if there is a loss of hydraulic fluid which forces me to extend the gear using the emergency release, should I also expect to have braking problems upon landing?

1- Where is the hydraulic reservoir located and what type of hydraulic fluid is used? I believe the reservoir is located in the cowling close to the firewall, and the fluid is MIL-H-5606. Is this correct?
2 - Does the brake system use the same hydraulic reservoir as the landing gear? What I’m trying to understand is, if there is a loss of hydraulic fluid which forces me to extend the gear using the emergency release, should I also expect to have braking problems upon landing?
Section II Handling and Servicing in the link below will have your answers. If you want a more detailed answer look for the description paragraphs farther in the manual on the specific system. Good luck.
http://www.mikeg.net/library/files/pa28-service.pdf

Brake system and gear system are completely independent. Not sure where they put the gear pump in the pa28, but the firewall seems the most likely spot. Both systems probably use 5606.

Try behind baggage compartment.

Notice how the hydraulic pump looks just like the same pump Evinrude used to lift their outboards?

(disclaimer: it’s been a few years, could be Mercury or Johnson)

HYC5005 gear pump is aft of the bag compartment, right there next to the battery when you open the compartment cover to look towards the inside of the empennage. Fluid reservoir is integral to the pump powerpack; refill port is machined into the powerpack and covered with a hand-tight screw. the POH has diagrams of the thing btw.

The brake hydraulics are (like most aircraft, especially those more complex than piston singles) as always, completely independent of the gear actuation system hydraulics, actuated in a non-boosted capacity by the pressure of your feet on the brake pedals and/or hand brake actuation. The reservoir/master/refill is located attached to the firewall (upper right when looking from the nose towards the tail, old school lighter fluid container-shaped screwed to the firewall). Both use ye ol' standard milspec hydro fluid. It's no different than the fixed gear PA-28s.

Good luck on the checkride.

I had to convince my "big iron" flight instructor that the Navion hydraulic pump (which runs the gear and flaps) has no bearing on braking. About the closest thing is that both systems share the same fluid reservoir, but even if that were to run dry, you're usually going to have plenty of fluid in the system to operate the brakes.

HYC5005 gear pump is aft of the bag compartment, right there next to the battery when you open the compartment cover to look towards the inside of the empennage. Fluid reservoir is integral to the pump powerpack; refill port is machined into the powerpack and covered with a hand-tight screw. the POH has diagrams of the thing btw.

The brake hydraulics are (like most aircraft, especially those more complex than piston singles) as always, completely independent of the gear actuation system hydraulics, actuated in a non-boosted capacity by the pressure of your feet on the brake pedals and/or hand brake actuation. The reservoir/master/refill is located attached to the firewall (upper right when looking from the nose towards the tail, old school lighter fluid container-shaped screwed to the firewall). Both use ye ol' standard milspec hydro fluid. It's no different than the fixed gear PA-28s.

Good luck on the checkride.
Thanks everyone. This was very helpful. Much appreciated.

Taking a CPL check ride soon in a Piper Arrow II and trying to understand some specific questions on the hydraulic system - the POH has a decent overview but couldn’t find answers to the following. Appreciate if this group has the answers. Many thanks!

1. There is a reservoir on the firewall - on the engine side. That is the brake fluid reservoir. It looks like it was made from an old can of lighter fluid. The gear hydraulic reservoir is located at the base of the pump, which is located behind the baggage compartment near the battery. There is a removable panel in the rear bulkhead that allows access.

2. No, there are two independent hydraulic systems on the Arrow: one is for the gear, and one is for the brakes - both use 5606 fluid.

1. There is a reservoir on the firewall - on the engine side. That is the brake fluid reservoir. It looks like it was made from an old can of lighter fluid. The gear hydraulic reservoir is located at the base of the pump, which is located behind the baggage compartment near the battery. There is a removable panel in the rear bulkhead that allows access.

2. No, there are two independent hydraulic systems on the Arrow: one is for the gear, and one is for the brakes - both use 5606 fluid.
Thank you!

With any luck, we’ll get 4 or 5 more replies stating the same thing…….;) :cool:

With any luck, we’ll get 4 or 5 more replies stating the same thing…….;) :cool:

Holy crap! I just looked at post #5, which I didn't read before I posted. He even had the reference to a lighter fluid can!

I'm just wondering how hindsight2020 was able to read my mind in the future and preemptively plagiarize my post that I made some 18 hours later...:dunno:

Back