P180 Avanti I upgrade to Garmin GTN-750 Avionics with ADS-B

CAM

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CAM
Intercontinental Jet Service in Tulsa, OK. completed dual Garmin GTN-750 avionics upgrade to our P180 Avanti which included new features such as ADS-B (In&Out), WAAS, Remote transponders, fuel calculators, new radar, etc. for a fraction of the price Collins referenced to upgrade to ADS-B, WAAS, and comparable avionics platform . Aircraft avionics now much more sophisticated and single pilot friendly. GTN-750 interfaces with Collins auto pilot and TCAS.

Intercontinental Jet Service in Tulsa, OK. completed dual Garmin GTN-750 avionics upgrade to our P180 Avanti which included new features such as ADS-B (In&Out), WAAS, Remote transponders, fuel calculators, new radar, etc. for a fraction of the price Collins referenced to upgrade to ADS-B, WAAS, and comparable avionics platform . Aircraft avionics now much more sophisticated and single pilot friendly. GTN-750 interfaces with Collins auto pilot and TCAS.

Are all the other new boxes, transponders, radar, etc. Garmin as well?

Are all the other new boxes, transponders, radar, etc. Garmin as well?
Yes all Garmin. Also Coms are integrated into GTN-750.

We still maintain the Collins EFIS, autopilot, and other OEM equipment components.

Last edited:
Installing the transponder and coms remotely behind panel freed panel space to accomodate the 2 GTN-750 touchscreen units.

WELCOME to POA!!!
Wow you are flying my dream plane! It is the plane I want to buy if I win the Loto!:)

What is your range and endurance in the catfish? Do any international flying?

WELCOME to POA!!!
Wow you are flying my dream plane! It is the plane I want to buy if I win the Loto!:)
We bought it initially because it was half the cost of same year and time King Air 200 which would go a long way on maitenance costs in future given concerns that float around on internet about these aircraft being maitenance intensive.

My experience over past two years has been great with aircraft - it is a high performer with no material problems and only downtime has been for routine inspections, service, and an optional avionics upgrade to dual Garmin GTN-750 to reach compliance with ADS-B and state of the art avionics. One inspection found a landing gear strut out of tolerance which took aircraft out of service for 3 weeks which was fast turn around given we had to ship part to a US based service center in Florida

Ive flown in all the King Airs 90/200/350 - no comparison to Avanti performance or comfort. Of course 350 will hold more PAX than Avanti. There is a lot of comfort in being able to fly at 39k feet in turbo prop over the tops of storms burning a combined 85 gallons per hour.

Have the 12 year gear overhaul in 2017 but looks like we have option to install new EVO generation gear on Avanti. Will see how pricing comes back on both.

What is your range and endurance in the catfish? Do any international flying?
3.5 hour endurance with solid safety margin. Range varies with wind and Pax but GTN-750 with fuel flow calculator showed range capabilities from Cabo San Lucas (MMSL) to Tampa Florida (KTPA) (Atlantic Coast) right at fuel reserve barrier.

We had generous winds that day and 4 Pax but were routed thru Del Rio (KDRT) and along Talahasee (KTPA) so not direct route. A little over 4 hour endurance and 1650nm range roughly estimated within that time frame by Flight Computer.

3.5 hour endurance with solid safety margin. Range varies with wind and Pax but GTN-750 with fuel flow calculator showed range capabilities from Cabo San Lucas (MMSL) to Tampa Florida (KTPA) (Atlantic Coast) right at fuel reserve barrier.

We had generous winds that day and 4 Pax but were routed thru Del Rio (KDRT) and along Talahasee (KTPA) so not direct route. A little over 4 hour endurance and 1650nm range roughly estimated within that time frame by Flight Computer.
Did somebody move Tampa?

Looks great, CAM. You're owning the plane I will one day have.

newbie question... why two 750s?

and on a different note, i am finally accepting things like your bird as donations.. took me a while to keep my ego aside :)

When these are installed do you still have an FMS or is that replaced? I know you said it replaces the radios but just curious if you still retain the FMS?

Love the Catfish; looks like a 21st Century aircraft...

Wonder if they've considered hanging a pair of turbofans on it, but maybe that's not the point.

Love the Catfish; looks like a 21st Century aircraft...

Wonder if they've considered hanging a pair of turbofans on it, but maybe that's not the point.
It'd go backwards if they put fans on it....just wouldn't work.o_O

Getting ready to buy a usesd Piaggio...like to chat about Garmin install?

Back