P-38 performance

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I just finished reading two books which featured flying the P-38 Lightning in the Pacific. In the books the pilots claimed to love these a/c. Just stay out of a turning duel with the Zero, other than that you'll be fine.

One book mentioned at some length how a pilot made a successful forced landing after lose the left after rotation.

All this is contradictory to what I have heard before. I had heard for many years that the plane was a likely death trap because of slow roll response, poor single engine operation, immense vibration, and an uncomfortable cockpit. Also the cockpit filled with smoke whenever the guns were fired.

So how do I reconcile all this?

Richard said:
I just finished reading two books which featured flying the P-38 Lightning in the Pacific. In the books the pilots claimed to love these a/c. Just stay out of a turning duel with the Zero, other than that you'll be fine.

One book mentioned at some length how a pilot made a successful forced landing after lose the left after rotation.

All this is contradictory to what I have heard before. I had heard for many years that the plane was a likely death trap because of slow roll response, poor single engine operation, immense vibration, and an uncomfortable cockpit. Also the cockpit filled with smoke whenever the guns were fired.

The two top US aces (Bong and McGuire) flew the P-38 in combat. So, in spite of its shortcomings, it must have been a good airplane.

P-38's are for C-rations...I used to be able to open a 3lb can of Folgers faster than my wife could with a twist type opener...but Folgers is now in plastic...:-( :(:dunno::cheerswine:

Cheers...

Man, I'm seein' double...rub, rub, rub,...thats better.

What's an "Automerged Doublepost?" I didn't do it.

Last edited:
Try reading "Fork Tailed Devil" by Martin Caiden. He did a fair job of evaluating
the P-38. Also "Test Pilot" by Tony Levier. He was a test pilot for Lockheed
and flew on the p-38 program.

Richard said:

My great uncle flew the P-47, 51, 38 & 39 during WW II, said he loved the 38 best because he could beat anyone in a right turn, and the plane would take a lot of lead and get you home.

Dave Blackmon said:
P-38's are for C-rations...

Yup. And I've got one in my key case that I've carried for over 30 years. Still works great. I've yet to meet a can I couldn't open with it.

My Dad was a Crew chief on P-38's I have a soft spot in my heart for them!:cheerswine:

One of my mentors flew a Recon P38 (no guns) out in the Pacific. He flew just over 900 hours in the P38. He told me he use to climb to 35k or higher to fly his photo missions. He told me it was rather scary to see the other side trying to climb up to get him. He loved the plane and he told me the best part was pushing the nose down and it would scream. My uncle flew the Corsair in the Pacific and he mentioned that the P38 was the best next to the Corsair. I was so lucky to listen to Henry tell me the stories of flying the P38.

John

Back