Oxygen

1) Get a place that fills on the spot or at least exchanges for a full tank on the spot.

• The local welding shop I use doesn't fill, but will exchange on the spot. I bought a used tank on EBay (that had a current inspection stamp) and took it in empty and exchanged it - similar to how you do a BBQ propane tank.
  • The tank you get back may not be "pretty" looking, but it is inspected and safe.

2) You could always get a spare tank so you're not in bind to get a fill up.

3) BTW - there used to be a difference between medical, welding grade, etc. But today it's more efficient and cheaper just to make it all the same. The welding 02 is the same as the 02 you'd get in a hospital.

Got myself an Inogen G5. What cannulas are you guys using and if you have details on a Y split, please provide some details.
I am aware of the Winblade, but at 95$ no thankyou.
I got a good deal on an Inogen G4. I picked up a cannula at Walgreens. I haven't figured out the splitter yet. I set to 3 (the highest setting) and my oximeter was reading 99 at 10500.

can’t comment on stupidity but I called two local dive shops for oxy before I found my hookup . Both indicated that they only had compressed atmospheric air for tanks. Had I brought in my bright green cyl, they would have probably turned it away. Guessing.

Scuba tanks are typically filled with air for most sport diving. Consequently that’s all many dive shops sell.

O2 is used to blend nitrox or other special mixes (trimix or heliox) for advanced dives. Pure O2 can only be used at very shallow depths to avoid oxygen toxicity so it’s mostly used as a decompression gas for deco stops above 30’. Shops that cater to technical divers (cave or wreck diving especially) should be able to do an oxygen fill.

Nitrox is extremely prevalent now days...I saw it go from a tech diving thing to when it was becoming main-stream easy..... Now it seems to be almost everywhere.

Ah, the good old days....

One of my regular cave buddies would bring along a large oxygen bottle in his truck when we visited spring country. We’d blow some into our tanks then have the shop top them off with air. Analyze the O2 content so we’d know the blend, then figure out our dive profile and deco.

Find a better dive shop.

Nauga,
who did
Most dive shops simply use compressed air. That’s the standard and norm for dive tanks. Pure oxygen might kill you on a moderately deep dive and is avoided beyond 30 foot depths. A large dive shop that targets technical diving should have pure oxygen for use in blending mixed gas formulas like nitro or trimix. When you call a dive shop ask if they offer nitrox fills. If so they will have oxygen.

Most dive shops simply use compressed air. That’s the standard and norm for dive tanks. Pure oxygen might kill you on a moderately deep dive and is avoided beyond 30 foot depths. A large dive shop that targets technical diving should have pure oxygen for use in blending mixed gas formulas like nitro or trimix. When you call a dive shop ask if they offer nitrox fills. If so they will have oxygen.
I believe I said that. ;)

Nauga,
and the MOD squad

Since no one has mentioned it.. 'technically' you should be using aviator oxygen which is O2 that's been passed over a dessicant to dry it out. This is to prevent line buildup and freezing/condensation in your regulator or oxygen lines preventing flow.

Medical Oxygen is usually humidified and is the opposite of the true 'technically' correct O2 you should be filling up with.

You can get aviator oxygen at most FBO's. Many planes have permanently mounted O2 tanks that must be filled at the plane.
Nope. Hasn't been that way for years.

All O2 is delivered as liquid O2. Any water is frozen and at the bottom of the tank and will not end up in the O2 loaded into tanks as gas.

Nope. Hasn't been that way for years.

All O2 is delivered as liquid O2. Any water is frozen and at the bottom of the tank and will not end up in the O2 loaded into tanks as gas.

Learned something new. Cool

Since this is an old thread, I wonder what the OP did to get his O2?

No dive shop is going to put air in an oxygen tank.

Hmmm... I used to think that an FBO wouldn't fill O2 tanks with compressed air.

HISTORY OF THE FLIGHT
On April 1, 1997, at about 1452 eastern standard time, a Cessna 337D Skymaster, N2685S, collided with the ground shortly after being cleared by Air Traffic Control to climb to 25,000 feet. Air Traffic Controllers observed the airplane going through its assigned altitude and leveling at 27,700 feet. Then the aircraft was observed at 26,000 feet, and subsequent contact was lost. The aircraft broke up during its uncontrolled descent and the cabin section came to rest in a tree at the Ft. Cherry Hill Gulf Resort in Hickory, Pennsylvania. The airplane was operated by the private pilot under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and an IFR flight plan was filed. The pilot sustained fatal injuries and the passenger sustained minor injuries. The flight had originated at Williamsburg, Pennsylvania about 1345 for the purpose of aerial photography.
According to the passenger/employee, the airplane was fueled and a portable oxygen bottle was filled prior to takeoff at the Youngstown Elser Airport, North Lima, Ohio by Gemco Aviation Services, Inc....
...The FAA Inspector, asked Mr. Stanko where he purchased his oxygen. He indicated that it was purchased from AGA Gas, 1055 North Meridian Road, Youngstown, Ohio, 44511. Mr. Stanko produced an invoice from AGA Gas, dated October 3, 1996. The invoice shows the purchase to be Breathing Air-Grade D(K), one cylinder purchased. The last aircraft serviced was a Mooney TLS N1065S. Mr. Stanko contacted the owner of the Mooney TLS to inquire if he was having any breathing problems with his oxygen. The owner indicated he had not. Mr. Stanko and the FAA Inspector walked to a storage building where the oxygen service cart was kept. Upon viewing the oxygen service cart, the Inspector noticed the four cylinders on the cart were painted Yellow. Further examination of the bottles found the following placard on each cylinder: AIR COMPRESSED UN1002 BREATHING AIR, Lot number 12 2000 (6000 D609) non-flammable gas 2.
Mr. Stanko stated he had been purchasing oxygen from AGA since 1989. His last purchase was October 3, 1996, the invoice verifies this statement. Mr. Stanko indicated that when he ordered oxygen from AGA he specifically stated that this oxygen was to be used for aircraft oxygen system servicing. He said to his knowledge, the cylinders in question have always been yellow.
On April 8, 1997 all four yellow cylinders were transported to AGA Gas, Inc., Corporate Headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio for analytical testing of the contents of each cylinder. The test results were the same for each cylinder and indicated that they contained compressed breathing air at about 21 percent oxygen, not aviator oxygen.

Your confidence in humanity made me giggle. Thank you.

Hmmm... I used to think that an FBO wouldn't fill O2 tanks with compressed air.

HISTORY OF THE FLIGHT
On April 1, 1997, at about 1452 eastern standard time, a Cessna 337D Skymaster, N2685S, collided with the ground shortly after being cleared by Air Traffic Control to climb to 25,000 feet. Air Traffic Controllers observed the airplane going through its assigned altitude and leveling at 27,700 feet. Then the aircraft was observed at 26,000 feet, and subsequent contact was lost. The aircraft broke up during its uncontrolled descent and the cabin section came to rest in a tree at the Ft. Cherry Hill Gulf Resort in Hickory, Pennsylvania. The airplane was operated by the private pilot under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and an IFR flight plan was filed. The pilot sustained fatal injuries and the passenger sustained minor injuries. The flight had originated at Williamsburg, Pennsylvania about 1345 for the purpose of aerial photography.
According to the passenger/employee, the airplane was fueled and a portable oxygen bottle was filled prior to takeoff at the Youngstown Elser Airport, North Lima, Ohio by Gemco Aviation Services, Inc....
...The FAA Inspector, asked Mr. Stanko where he purchased his oxygen. He indicated that it was purchased from AGA Gas, 1055 North Meridian Road, Youngstown, Ohio, 44511. Mr. Stanko produced an invoice from AGA Gas, dated October 3, 1996. The invoice shows the purchase to be Breathing Air-Grade D(K), one cylinder purchased. The last aircraft serviced was a Mooney TLS N1065S. Mr. Stanko contacted the owner of the Mooney TLS to inquire if he was having any breathing problems with his oxygen. The owner indicated he had not. Mr. Stanko and the FAA Inspector walked to a storage building where the oxygen service cart was kept. Upon viewing the oxygen service cart, the Inspector noticed the four cylinders on the cart were painted Yellow. Further examination of the bottles found the following placard on each cylinder: AIR COMPRESSED UN1002 BREATHING AIR, Lot number 12 2000 (6000 D609) non-flammable gas 2.
Mr. Stanko stated he had been purchasing oxygen from AGA since 1989. His last purchase was October 3, 1996, the invoice verifies this statement. Mr. Stanko indicated that when he ordered oxygen from AGA he specifically stated that this oxygen was to be used for aircraft oxygen system servicing. He said to his knowledge, the cylinders in question have always been yellow.
On April 8, 1997 all four yellow cylinders were transported to AGA Gas, Inc., Corporate Headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio for analytical testing of the contents of each cylinder. The test results were the same for each cylinder and indicated that they contained compressed breathing air at about 21 percent oxygen, not aviator oxygen.
I'm just guessing that neither of you have spent much time in dive shops or know many divers.

Back