Oxygen is overrated

DHS, doing their job.

Watch airport fencing to become the crisis of the day.

I've got a solution. Cycle the gear before speeding up as you pass through 10,000 ft. Should clean out any debris that may have become lodged in the wheel wells.

My suspicion is that this boy may not be a model of mental health and soundness. By the time most kids are 16, they have some degree of understanding that the air "gets thin" as you go up. This kid apparently didn't.

As to how he got past the perimeter... who knows. Maybe he was carrying a pizza box. That probably will get you past security at almost any airport. I can tell you with certainly that it will at JFK.

-Rich

My suspicion is that this boy may not be a model of mental health and soundness. By the time most kids are 16, they have some degree of understanding that the air "gets thin" as you go up. This kid apparently didn't.

As to how he got past the perimeter... who knows. Maybe he was carrying a pizza box. That probably will get you past security at almost any airport. I can tell you with certainly that it will at JFK.

-Rich

Perhaps in our time they had an understanding, not so sure about now, with our notoriously low educational standards. What does thin air have to do with passing college entrance exams?

No matter how you slice the cake, no one person will be responsible for the kid finding easy access to a wheel well unless there are absolutely no possible repercussions for anyone claiming "full responsibility."

The answer to this will be that of pumping billions of dollars into the department of Homeland Security so that they can do studies of the problem, and raise airport fences 7.8 inches so this will never happen again....well at least once they figure out that doing away with retractable gear aircraft does not make sense.

-John

Am I the only one who thinks this is BS, I'm not buying he survived 30K+ altitude for 4+ hours unless he brought his own O2 supply.

Am I the only one who thinks this is BS, I'm not buying he survived 30K+ altitude for 4+ hours unless he brought his own O2 supply.

My father fought in the trenches in WWI when he was only thirteen. His company was hit with gas before gas masks had been issued. His age was credited for his being the only survivor out of the entire company.

He did survive, but had to take medications the rest of his short life to keep the fluids out of his lungs. He died at 43.

People have been revived after being submerged under ice for hours in near freezing water.

Obama was elected for a second term. All kinds of unbelievable things happen to people.

-John

The answer to this will be that of pumping billions of dollars into the department of Homeland Security so that they can do studies of the problem, and raise airport fences 7.8 inches so this will never happen again....well at least once they figure out that doing away with retractable gear aircraft does not make sense.

-John

You forgot about the environmental studies and the fence building union's cut...

Will we learn it was the baggage area and not wheel well?

If true, doesn't he lose chunks of flesh to frostbite? I'm no doctor, but temps at FL350 aren't good for you.

Was supposed to be in nose down wheel compartment, avionics. Heat may have helped him. Where did the o2 come from? One lucky dude if the report is factual.

And the report I heard is he hasn't been charged yet. Why not?
Where's the crime? Why do you want to tarnish this young man's life with a charge?

All he did was bypass 8 foot barbed wire fences, run across a federally controlled secure area, stowed away on an airplane without a ticket, and then trespassed on more federally controlled land. :mad2:

Was supposed to be in nose down wheel compartment, avionics. Heat may have helped him. Where did the o2 come from? One lucky dude if the report is factual.

Video from San Jose security cams show him at the left main, not the nose.

And that's kind of laughable in and of itself - all those security fences with cameras watching the area to "stop the bad guys", and all they did in this case was show us what happened well after the fact. That's our tax dollars at work, folks...

That was my experience with security cameras at work, we could tell exactly when the gray figure approached the vehicle and when the tail lights went out the driveway! :mad2::mad2: That's a big help!
I'd love to hear how he survived without frostbite and with basically no oxygen for 4+ hours :dunno:
I know, it's a new show for Discovery "Stow away Survival" Contestants climb into the wheel wells of jets and are filmed with Go-pro cameras! They don't know where the plane is going, so it could be a 30 minute low altitude (FL250) or a trans Atlantic flight at FL380! Survivors get gift bags and TV time, losers get TV time and a decent burial at NO COST to the family!!:D Don't laugh, I've watched "Naked and Afraid" and this wouldn't be that far from it! ;)
Video from San Jose security cams show him at the left main, not the nose.

And that's kind of laughable in and of itself - all those security fences with cameras watching the area to "stop the bad guys", and all they did in this case was show us what happened well after the fact. That's our tax dollars at work, folks...

It's a good thing that CNN has all their airplane sets and graphics from the Malaysian deal. They have been all over this story.

Nevermind how many it has been demonstrated that you can get through the doors from the passenger lounge to the tarmac by shadowing someone, having a janitor uniform, or otherwise.

Watch airport fencing to become the crisis of the day.

Nah. More of: "I was able to walk right up to these (private single engine prop) planes!"

I've got a solution. Cycle the gear before speeding up as you pass through 10,000 ft. Should clean out any debris that may have become lodged in the wheel wells.

attachment.php

The story was that he went into a sorta freeze-coma like people who fall into icy waters.

Attachments

• 5038c308a06f4c0d928d340100535108.jpg
    5038c308a06f4c0d928d340100535108.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 110
Yes they are. The TSA is chartered with exercising authority of security of the traveling public. That's why they feel they have authority at train stations, small airports, etc.

You are correct. They handle screening, and can do it at all those locations. Perimeter security at airports is almost always handled by airport police or the local police/sheriffs. You won't see a TSA smurf out patrolling the fence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nevermind how many it has been demonstrated that you can get through the doors from the passenger lounge to the tarmac by shadowing someone, having a janitor uniform, or otherwise.

And again I say, if you're carrying a pizza box, you can go anywhere. This is especially true if it contains a New York pizza. (Chicago pizza, maybe not so much.)

-Rich

From Wikipedia:
"From 1947 until September 2012, there were 96 known stowaway attempts worldwide in wheel wells of 85 separate flights, which resulted in 73 deaths with only 23 survivors."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stowaway

I heard something similar on another news report. I have no idea if they got their stats from Wikipedia or not

The one thing that is important that everyone understand, this was not a situation where the government made a mistake, it is a valuable learning opportunity for all government agencies that were involved.

When all of our government's studies and research of this slight breach of security is concluded, it will be shown that had anyone been carrying explosives, the airports security apparatus would have been alerted long before the security fences were breached.

Rest assured that it is now impossible for a terrorist to plant a half pound of shaped C-4 in an aircraft wheel well, especially if it was using an altitude detonator.

No, this could never have happened, not with the worlds most expensive airport security apparatus in place.

-John

The one thing that is important that everyone understand, this was not a situation where the government made a mistake, it is a valuable learning opportunity for all government agencies that were involved.

When all of our government's studies and research of this slight breach of security is concluded, it will be shown that had anyone been carrying explosives, the airports security apparatus would have been alerted long before the security fences were breached.

Rest assured that it is now impossible for a terrorist to plant a half pound of shaped C-4 in an aircraft wheel well, especially if it was using an altitude detonator.

No, this could never have happened, not with the worlds most expensive airport security apparatus in place.

-John

When you can't prevent a benign incident, you spend money to prevent a malicious one. Not sarcasm. The thinking has merit.

Has anyone thought of a placard inside the well or on the gear somewhere warning a potential stowaway that they will suffocate and/or freeze to death?

Has anyone thought of a placard inside the well or on the gear somewhere warning a potential stowaway that they will suffocate and/or freeze to death?

If you don't already know that, you probably won't be reading the placard. Also, I think most stowaways run in at the last minute, so by the time they would be able to read it, the gear would already be up.... :D

If you don't already know that, you probably won't be reading the placard. Also, I think most stowaways run in at the last minute, so by the time they would be able to read it, the gear would already be up.... :D

Make one of those latches that are now mandated in cars for people that lock themselves in the trunk of the car.

One thing for sure, the folks who use this method of transportation have no lacking of intestinal fortitude.

-John

One thing for sure, the folks who use this method of transportation have no lacking of intestinal fortitude.

-John

Or are too dumb to even realize such fortitude should be needed.

Or are too dumb to even realize such fortitude should be needed.

I think it must be this.

Would anyone get in a wheel well if they knew that chances are >50% they'll be dead when they come out?

Back