Oxygen Concentrator Thread

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
I'm tempted to get an oxygen concentrator for the RV's in my life. The question is how much of a boost would something like an Inogen G5 provide if split between 2 people? 4 people? Are we talking about adding a couple of thousand feet to my (our?) practical cross country altitudes for two people, or are we talking 5,000-8,000'? Given the chance, I cruise at 8,000-12,000' (oxygen limited), which often puts me right at the tops of the summer puffies. A few thousand more feet would be beneficial...

I've only had my G4 up to 10,500.

It was just me; my O2 went from ~90 before to 99 after.

Do you use battery or plug in the 12v power cord? I have a G4 with a dead battery. I am trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the G5 that produces twice the OX or get a new battery for my G4. With the G5 I believe it is big enough for 2. Any thoughts?

...With the G5 I believe it is big enough for 2. Any thoughts?
You and I are cross posting between here and VAF. I assume if GeorgeC got a 9% increase flying solo, then 2 users would get 4-5% apiece, 3 users would get ~3% ea, and 4 users would see a 2% improvement.

The G5 has 6 settings. I cruised at 11,500 Sunday and running the G5 at setting 3/boom cannula/solo, I kept my SaO2 at 95-96% and 98% if I took 3-4 deep purposeful breaths. When I turned the unit off I was at 88% in 5 minutes or so and could only get 92% with deep breathing. I think on high setting with 2 users you should be good in the low teens, maybe mid teens. I am 61 years of age, overweight and just had Covid last week. Two adults in good pulmonary condition should be fine but if you have any respiratory disease your results will be worse.

I have seen people on BT report no issues with a G5 and two people at 14,000. Above that, a number of people run two units.

M2C Just get a set of cannulas and an O2 tank regulator - use an D sized O2 tank. When you need more 02, just swap your empty for a fresh bottle at NexAir on Cobb Parkway in Marietta.

Last edited:
AC 120-95A discusses the use of oxygen concentrator systems for passenger use in large aircraft (transport type). It does not mention the use of oxygen concentrators for pilot use. It does state that a "passenger" using the device should not be placed in an exit row and that the device should be stowed during takeoff and landing to not interfere with passenger egress in an emergency.

AC 120-95A also discusses that the concentrator systems may not produce sufficient oxygen at cabin altitudes above 10,000ft due to the lower ambient pressures the system may not provide enough output to meet the users need.

Your results may vary.

I have not seen any reference that oxygen concentrators are approved for pilot use. I also have not seen any reference that they are not allowed for pilot use.

AC 120-95A also discusses that the concentrator systems may not produce sufficient oxygen at cabin altitudes above 10,000ft due to the lower ambient pressures the system may not provide enough output to meet the users need.

The G4 technical manual states:
Environmental Ranges Intended For Use:
Altitude: 0 - 10,000 ft.

Regs also do not set any flow rates. It just says you must use supplemental O2. So you could have a traditional system and set the flow meter for the proper flow for 8,000 feet and climb to 20,000 feet. And be legal. Probably dead, but legal.

With ANY O2 system, you need a pulse oxymeter and to USE IT.

You and I are cross posting between here and VAF. I assume if GeorgeC got a 9% increase flying solo, then 2 users would get 4-5% apiece, 3 users would get ~3% ea, and 4 users would see a 2% improvement.

I have a G5 and LOVE it. I use it anytime over 10K' MSL, 5K at night. Why not, it's an unlimited supply, right? The owner of a company called InogenAviator (former Inogen distributor) sells a dual cannula setup with dual flowmeters that he claims is good for two to 14K'. He also sells a nice 28V capable power supply for the Inogen units. The challenge with multiple people on one system is the timing. Oxygen concentrators don't deliver a continuous flow like a tank. They sense when you start to inhale and deliver a 'bollus' of oxygen-rich air as you continue to inhale. It is like a puff of air in your nostrils. Between breaths, the concentrator is regenerating the next bollus. With two people, someone is going to get shortchanged with each breath. I don't think my system on max can keep up with double the rate of breaths taken. There is some capacitive effect of the oxygen-rich air in the cannula hose, but the machine won't be delivering a perfect bollus for each breath. I can easily raise my pulse ox by 10 percentage points breathing solo. It's more like 4 points with two people breathing on one system.

I'm old fat and a heavy smoker; pulse O2 down to 90% by 10,000 and 88% at 12,000 - with G5, 96% at 12,000 and 95% at 14,000 (with just me plugged in), with second person (not fat, non smoker, healthy and younger...), just 2% lower at 12,000.

Back