OWT compilation

So if I can find a pilot with more hours than you who disagrees with you, would that make you wrong?

Around here you just need a pilot who SAYS he has more hours. And better yet, has more posts.

But finding someone who is "wrong"? That my friend is the realm of unicorns, Twin RV's, and SR-22's that fly after the red handle is pulled.

Stage cool the engine - 1" per minute.

Our resident engine expert Ted Dupuis believes in shock cooling and I'd venture to guess he knows a good deal more about engines than anyone else here.

And If shutting down for more than a minute, put on the engine cover.

Or do as I do and stay out of Alaska during winters....:)

Atitppa doesn't help situational awareness.
Atitppa helps situational awareness.

I gotta go with Kritchlow on this one. Around here, when someone (typically a corporate jet jock) makes a ATITAPA call, it is custom to respond with "please be advised that there may be NORDO traffic in the pattern."

Heard that many times. Makes me chuckle almost every time. And that response does indeed provide the corporate jet jock with add'l situational awareness.
:cool:

At shut down air isn't being forced thru the cowl by 100mph (or whatever) movement thru space. Engines heat up, not cool down, immediately after shut-down and then cool down far slower than if you cut the engine from full power to idle and started a 500fpm descent.

Around here you just need a pilot who SAYS he has more hours. And better yet, has more posts.

But finding someone who is "wrong"? That my friend is the realm of unicorns, Twin RV's, and SR-22's that fly after the red handle is pulled.
All I know is that not everyone with tens of thousands of hours agree on everything, so it's no substitute for a reasoned argument.

That's why you listen to people like Ted instead of SGOTI. I know corporate pilots with 1000s of hours who believe in "the step." I know seasoned old school mechanics who swear by MMO. Lots of people believe lots of things, few are experts regardless of their level of experience.

Ted OTOH...

Stage cool the engine - 1" per minute.

Our resident engine expert Ted Dupuis believes in shock cooling and I'd venture to guess he knows a good deal more about engines than anyone else here.
Are we allowed to consider experts who don't post here?

Both-L-R-Both gives more and better information.

Do not agree. Going back to both allows you to double check the RPM change and ensure the throttle is still set precisely at the correct RPM. It is also less likely to lead to accidentally going to OFF.

It certainly does.

Any time you hear that, you are situationally aware that there might possibly be an idiot in or near the pattern.

And, interestingly, they're almost always corporate jet jocks.

everyone says my posts don't count

Do not agree. Going back to both allows you to double check the RPM change and ensure the throttle is still set precisely at the correct RPM. It is also less likely to lead to accidentally going to OFF.

You don't set your throttle and then you mag test the "OFF" position? I don't agree.

Taxiing with the elevator full up does not take weight off of the nosewheel nor does it protect it from damage.

:cool:

:rolleyes:

Corollary: The POH is always right and should be obeyed unquestioned 100% of the time.

Back