Owning a plane in the DC SFRA

Did some pattern work at Davis, no signs of hangars. Maybe we can exercise squatter's rights at Suburban before it gets Daley'd? ;)

When I moved out of VKX there were hangars available there.

They come up occasionally. The owner auctions off the lease payment when they do.

In terms of rush hour travel time, that's definitely the closest GA airport to 'DCA' (+/- Arlington/Alex). In addition to to the FRZ issue, it's not the easiest airport to fly in and out of. I had a Warrior tied down there some years back.

I live further out in the exurbs on the MD side. 5min from 2W5. I own a piece of a hangared plane based there and let's say the lease has outpaced inflation quite dramatically. Out here, you can definitely find somewhat affordable housing options. Oddly enough, the only thing MD doesn't tax are cars and aircraft (many VA counties do). In that sense, it's not a bad place to own a plane. As for the commute times, well MD just removed a few intersections on MD210 which has cut some time off the trip, but if you are tied to a 5pm end of workday, its still going to be at least 1:20 to get out to 2W5.

Last edited:
Yes, MD does not have a sales/use tax on airplanes. And no annual personal property tax on cars and airplanes.

I live in Alexandria and have hangared my 182 at VKX for nearly 14 years. The extra aggravation of flying in the FRZ is far outweighed by the drive basing the plane farther away. During rush hours, my normally 20 minute drive to the airport is 35 minutes...not bad really. Hangars come up from time to time but are auctioned off, meaning the price of the hangar fluctuates based on demand. Although once you lock in you lock in. Tie downs are reasonably priced. It's a great culture at the airport and very friendly.

Having lived there (and kept a plane at the now-defunct W32) for 15 of the longest months of my life, there's no way in heck I'd even be entertaining that offer. No amount of money could get me to move to DC.
I said that too and then married a K Street lawyer, sigh.

If you do make the move, this is your new best friend.. When my sister worked at Georgetown Hospital, she commuted in from Rockville every day... As she put it... easy peasy lemon squeezy and worth every penny.

2-washington-metrorail.jpg
That's out of date. They've added the silver line. See this site: https://www.wmata.com/schedules/maps/upload/System-Map-2023.pdf

BTW, the Green Line "College Park-U of Md." stop is just across the street from the College Park airport.

The point is not the SFRA, the point is, housing in the area covered by the SFRA is crazy high or next door to a crack house. :)

The point is not the SFRA, the point is, housing in the area covered by the SFRA is crazy high or next door to a crack house. :)
Our crack house was down the street at one point. :rolleyes: I will say I don't miss the police helo not shining its spotlight in my back yard saturday tracking someone who stole a car from the city.

Last edited:
DC has gotten a LOT better since the 70s, but the prices are crazy.

An efficiency apartment is more than my mortgage for a single-family house on an acre with woods around.

Back