Owner Operator

Billnye

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Nye
Hello all,
I'm curious if anyone operates a charter service with their personal aircraft? If so, is it done privately or do you use an FBO/charter company? If one were retired or had plenty of free time with passive income, could this serve as a part time gig?

Would love to hear from all of you!
BN

I know a number of fellows that do this flying Part 135 to the Bahamas using two Aztecs, an Aero Commander, and now Beech 18. I think it started with the two guys or even one guy with an Aztec and then the others came in under his 135.

Last edited:
Hello all,
I'm curious if anyone operates a charter service with their personal aircraft? If so, is it done privately or do you use an FBO/charter company? If one were retired or had plenty of free time with passive income, could this serve as a part time gig?
What you're talking about is becoming a part 135 operator. It can and has been done. As far as the passive income thing, I think for most who try doing a 135 gig with their personal aircraft get to see first hand just how accurate the old saying is about how its easy to make small fortune in aviation, start with a large fortune and work your way down.

Back in the day, there were 135 certificate holders that would allow an owner/operator (your term) to add their aircraft to the certificate and have the owner/pilot as a trained crew member. There were issues over operational control and there practice was frowned upon. Not sure if it’s still going on today.

Might be easier, cheaper, and more exciting to just fly drugs over the border. No need to do all those pesky hundred hour inspections and mandatory maintenance, recurrent training, and such.

Back