Owner of a plane comped for fuel for ride along?

LongRoadBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jacker
I couldn't even really pick a good subject line for this.

Is it "normal" in say talking with an owner about his aircraft to hint at taking a ride with them, covering the fuel costs?

I'm a student, and maybe too it makes a difference if you are still learning or a fully fledged pilot?

This idea came to me from visiting the airport where I am learning to fly when they had an air show day. They had some spitfires (wow...I was blown away) but mostly through the day there were planes on exhibition, with the owners standing by the planes talking with passers by.

I have only flown GA, in a Cessna 172, trained so far in an Aquila, and now a Piper Warrior II.
But there were a lot of Piper Cubs, and I have always been really curious about flying in a tail wheel airplane, and also with such a different configuration (front and back seat). I think I'd really like to experience that.

I know a passenger can offer to split the fuel, and other costs associated with that flight with a non commercial pilot. But can a passenger offer to pay total fuel costs for example?

At this point I'm thinking that if I talk with an owner, and show my true interest level, it might be up to them to mention it if they wanted to, I wouldn't presume, but if it happened I'd really prefer to pay since it would be 90% my benefit, I wouldn't feel right for them to eat some of the cost.

Sorry I wrote so clumsily, you get the Idea though I hope. Would it be rude or an imposition to hint at it?

What Unit74 said.

Technically no. But I'm sure it happens. The FAA doesn't want people making money off of things like that. But are they going to care about the 45 minutes of fuel in a cub with one owner who gets to show off his plane? Doubt it.

When I rode with 6PC, I chuckled when he said, " ass grass or gas. No one rides for free". Over the top of his Raybans he reaffirmed, " what's it gonna be"

Thank god he didn't pull the chute on that ride. My ears really started hurting.

Interesting though. First, I'd love anyone to hint at wanting to fly with me. I don't get enough of that, mainly because my friends' spouses won't let them. Lol

Second, let's say I took someone on a 1 hour flight and they paid for the gas ( figure that's $60). The operating cost of my plane for that hour is WAY more. So theoretically couldn't I take the payment, as they aren't paying more than the prorated cost?

No way I'd take money for it, but operating cost has to work into the equation

Interesting though. First, I'd love anyone to hint at wanting to fly with me. I don't get enough of that, mainly because my friends' spouses won't let them. Lol

Second, let's say I took someone on a 1 hour flight and they paid for the gas ( figure that's $60). The operating cost of my plane for that hour is WAY more. So theoretically couldn't I take the payment, as they aren't paying more than the prorated cost?

No way I'd take money for it, but operating cost has to work into the equation
Nope. Reimbursable operating costs for the flight don't include the reserve costs as far as the FAR is concerned. Pro rata fuel, oil, rental, ramp fees... I think that's pretty much it.

When I rode with 6PC, I chuckled when he said, " ass grass or gas. No one rides for free". Over the top of his Raybans he reaffirmed, " what's it gonna be"

Thank god he didn't pull the chute on that ride. My ears really started hurting.

You, uh, didn't give it up did you?

Are you sure it was your ears that were hurting?

popcorn image.png

Nope. Reimbursable operating costs for the flight don't include the reserve costs as far as the FAR is concerned. Pro rata fuel, oil, rental, ramp fees... I think that's pretty much it.

Thanks dude. I guess I could have looked that up. :)

For me, it's not worth it to recoup $50 or whatever. If I can share 1/10th of what I feel about the aviation experience, then I'm even happier and $50 or whatever means nothing.

However OP, I think you should certainly ask people, and I don't see what's wrong with offering to cover your share. Shows you're actually serious and not just saying "let's do that sometime that'd be cool"

You can always make a bet. Bet what you think is a fair amount on which you would lose the bet. Like betting that Han Solo was Darth Vaders son. You lose the bet, all is good.
Or just throw the pilot some money and it's no one else's business.

I don't take money for a rides...:no: I normally going to fly anyway and if it sparks an interest in them then that's payment enough...:yes: Who knows it could add +1 to the pilot population...:thumbsup:

I think the OP was asking more about it seeming rude, rather than the legalities.
Would it be rude or an imposition to hint at it?
I don't think anyone, or very few, in the the US would find it rude. But I don't know how the Norwegian culture views things like this.

Have you tried posting the question on PoN?

The FAA doesn't care about transactions like that. It's a waste of time for them.

Norway? Heck if I know. But of all the things to sweat the FARs about, this isn't one of them.

I'd wager most have accepted gas money or flown someone else's plane without paying a share over the years.

Do cash, and then totally shut-up about it (nothing said here or anywhere). Alternatively, you may offer a wash/wax/detail of his airplane (or hangar) and develop your interest into a respectful friendship. I applaud your interest and initiative along with your confident self-assuredness...people admire that, but anyone entering into that kind of tit-for-tat wants it to be discrete, so keep the deal private. Your interest and integrity will advance you in time (don't be pushy). Just my humble advice. Godspeed.

P.S.: Nothing clumsy about your post; your ideas and desires were conveyed with absolute clarity.

Last edited:
In the above situation, are you sure he wasn't asking for some money for that bet you lost to him that one time?

You can always make a bet. Bet what you think is a fair amount on which you would lose the bet. Like betting that Han Solo was Darth Vaders son. You lose the bet, all is good.
Or just throw the pilot some money and it's no one else's business.

I get your point, but that isn't a safe bet what with Lucas adding prequels and sequels and whatnot.
It might turn out Solo IS Luke's brother, Darth the father and then I'd have taken the guy for a free ride and cash!

Seriously though, I have read the responses, and next time will drop some better hints, have some cash handy and let the pilot decide if he wants to. Long as it is not unheard of, and I can pay my way, the pilot can show off his plane, and get flying time, etc. I really want to see how takeoff and landing feels in a tail dragger.

Thanks all.

Do cash, and then totally shut-up about it (nothing said here or anywhere). Alternatively, you may offer a wash/wax/detail of his airplane (or hangar) and develop your interest into a respectful friendship. I applaud your interest and initiative along with your confident self-assuredness...people admire that, but anyone entering into that kind of tit-for-tat wants it to be discrete, so keep the deal private. Your interest and integrity will advance you in time (don't be pushy). Just my humble advice. Godspeed.

P.S.: Nothing clumsy about your post; your ideas and desires were conveyed with absolute clarity.

Thanks, I get your points and that really answered it well for me.

I think the OP was asking more about it seeming rude, rather than the legalities.

I don't think anyone, or very few, in the the US would find it rude. But I don't know how the Norwegian culture views things like this.

I was only partially wondering about legalities. More, as you say, about the appropriateness of it.

Norwegians in general are kind of sticklers for rules and protocol. Not as a bad thing. But funny thing, I grew up with a father that was a pilot, and first time I visited the flying club, in the small airport, it was just like going back to the sixties with my dad at Sky Harbor out by Deerfield, IL. same atmosphere I recalled, and people that though different all really are happy they get to fly.

Last edited:
Back