Own Checklist?

Do you use a checklist which you made for your type a/c?

• Yes

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • No, but now that you mention it, I might give it a try!

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Just out of curiousity...

Does anyone here use a checklist that they have created for their use and/or a checklist derived from the POH/Other trusted checklist?

I was thinking that if you could take the list from the POH and put it in your own format (colors, layout, etc, etc) on a word processing program, it could be worth while to see if it is more effective.

For all you CFI's out there--how many of you would let your student use there own checklist if it had the same items as on the school checklist...

I'm having a problem where the school checklists get torn and beat up...I would like to make my own and laminate it.

Thanks,

I simply buy aftermarket laminated versions. I have the software and expertise to roll my own, but for the 10 bucks they cost, I'll let someone else do it.

Ken Ibold said:
I simply buy aftermarket laminated versions. I have the software and expertise to roll my own, but for the 10 bucks they cost, I'll let someone else do it.

Ditto.

Ken Ibold said:
I tried that but found each one seemed to be missing something that my CFIs taught me that I found helpful. So I finally made my own. I'm a lot more comfortable with it.

Ken Ibold said:

Bought ready made checklists for each club aircraft (SureCheck?), and then took a fine line sharpie to it and added the other things I like to check that are not on the list.

I started with the ones that were in the plane, moved onto the laminated ones from various providers but I always seem to end up with my own. I arrange things in order of the flow of the layout, add the things that I tend to forget (highlighted in bold) , I put other little touches like Vspeeds, configuration notes and etc. My layout is such that all the ground stuff is on page 1, flip, from climb thru securing is on page 2.

Plus if I scribble on it, it's ok... cuz it's mine !! :)

Seems like there's always a number of things to write in the margins and between the lines to make any published checklist complete and safe, regardless of the source.

The problem with most checklists is that very few have an orderly sequence. You're taken from one side of the cockpit to the other and back again. I make sure that all items are transcribed to a list, then I sit in the pilot's seat and run through the list putting them in some semblance of order. An example can be found on my website:
<http://www.aviline.com/rallye/docs/CheckList.pdf>

Made my own. Added the pre-flight/in-flight items that are required for various accessories (autopilot, etc.). Added "special attention" items. Left off inapplicable items (Precise-flite that was removed).

I did NOT use color. Why? Because certain colors will wash-out or be unreadable in red night lite. Black and white. Set up in Word and printed on the laser printer. Laminate with Sam's Club special self-laminator.

Easy, and helps you memorize the items.

I made my own due to the fact that the age of my aircraft is pre-poh.

CFI gave me a home brew checklist for a 172 when I was a student. I've modified it over the years and have two versions, one for each 172 in the club. The flow for pre-flight is slightly different for each. Made a modified version for the 182 and yet another for the Arrow. As noted, the flow is different for each, especially during pre-flight. The Arrow checklist has some notes that I need to transcribe into the file and re-print (I find it easier to have the creeper on the ground and catch the nose wheel and left main at the same time, rather than check the nose, get up, check the fuel level in the left tank and get back down again). I've made sure that my lists cover everything in the POH and then some. That was driven home the first time I got in the Arrow for checkout and the POH checklist left out turning on the beacon before engine start. Checklist slave that I am, I forgot to turn it on. Corrected that oversight in my own custom checklist for that plane. And so it goes...

The September issue of AOPA Flight Training has a pretty useful article on making your own checklist, with tips on how and how not to format it, emphasis on not leaving out anything from the POH, etc. It touches on flows, also. The article isn't online yet, but it should be within the next week or two. AOPA members can find the archives at

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/members/ft_magazine/archives/

Last edited:
Use the one in the plane (club), then follow up with my own.

Elizabeth

Back