Overwhelmed CFI Candidate/student

Kra_Z_Ivan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kra_Z_Ivan
I am currently studying for the FOI written using study software and my plan was to get the writtens out of the way and then continue with a local CFI program. However as you all know most programs are accelerated and designed for fast-tracking a CFI certificate.

I have no problem with any of this, as with any and all other certificates we all have to study hard and I am willing to put in the work. My problem is that I have a lot of books, guides, information, etc. etc. to study on my own and I am just feeling overwhelmed and not even sure where to start.

Besides the FOI software, I have the following:

-Aviation Instructor's Handbook

-ASA CFI Practical Guide

-ASA Oral exam guide

-FI PTS for ASEL/S

-ASA Lesson Plans

-Misc. (FAR/AIM, AFH, PHOK, Risk Mgmt, AC Sys, Weather, chart user guide)

My question is, where should I start or what should I begin to focus on? in addition to creating my own lesson plans, are there any other essential resources I might be missing? Also, in what order should I be studying all this material? thank you for your help!

I am doing the same. I read the PHAK, AFH, PTS/ACS's 3 times already with PPL/Inst/CPL. so I read the AIH (boring psycho babble), and now I'm working the ASA test prep for the writtens. After that I will work on the serious stuff with my CFI. Hopefully be thru by end of summer

Why not watch the couple of CFI oral exams that are available on YouTube to get an idea of what DPEs are asking, and to what level CFI applicants are answering those questions.

That's at least a framework to start from.

Sheppard Air for all of the writtens, plus oh, 25-30 hours of focused study, and you're done.

It's what I did and and I posted mid 90's or better on all of them.

I am currently studying for the FOI written using study software and my plan was to get the writtens out of the way and then continue with a local CFI program. However as you all know most programs are accelerated and designed for fast-tracking a CFI certificate.

I have no problem with any of this, as with any and all other certificates we all have to study hard and I am willing to put in the work. My problem is that I have a lot of books, guides, information, etc. etc. to study on my own and I am just feeling overwhelmed and not even sure where to start.

Besides the FOI software, I have the following:

-Aviation Instructor's Handbook

-ASA CFI Practical Guide

-ASA Oral exam guide

-FI PTS for ASEL/S

-ASA Lesson Plans

-Misc. (FAR/AIM, AFH, PHOK, Risk Mgmt, AC Sys, Weather, chart user guide)

My question is, where should I start or what should I begin to focus on? in addition to creating my own lesson plans, are there any other essential resources I might be missing? Also, in what order should I be studying all this material? thank you for your help!

Applicable Advisory Circulars
Advanced Avionics Handbook
Pilot Safety Brochures
Risk Management Handbook
Weight and Balance Handbook
Tips on Mountain Flying
Chart Users Guide
AOPA Air Safety Foundation Publications.

Back