Overweight?

I'd rather get fired for not breaking the rules then to get fired for doing something illegal. Much easier to explain in a job interview

I understand what you are saying and I agree, but unless there is a violation on record against the company for doing what you would not do, future employers may not see it the same way.

I understand what you are saying and I agree, but unless there is a violation on record against the company for doing what you would not do, future employers may not see it the same way.

Possibly. Regardless, in this job market there is no reason to stay working at a garbage job.

Possibly. Regardless, in this job market there is no reason to stay working at a garbage job.

Exactly. Most of the not so good jobs I have had didn't pay very well so leaving for better pay was a valid reason to leave.

I learned early on, that flying for a living required difficult decision making. It can be really hard to say No sometimes, but especially as a rookie commercial pilot that needs the money, and possibly doesn't have the experience to understand all the variables involved in making certain go/no-go decisions.

Pilot pushing is an all too common occurrence, in my industry it is prolific...I am very experienced at saying No, after the third time I walk away and find something else to do. Getting involved in the owner/operators/chief pilots emotions over the flight is a big mistake, best to keep your cool and move on if necessary. Many a pilot has been hired at a better outfit because of how they handled a bad situation somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it. New guy is getting goat roped for saying goat roped. I lurked long before I offered my first post.

OP, keep your resume sharp, everyone is hiring.
ES! It’s OK, I’m lovin it too, it’s like arguing with my wife, I can’t win for loosing, but it’s fun trying and she gets her shorts in a knot even when she should know by now that I’m playing around.
Not to pick nits, but 'I'm looking for opinions on how to tell the owner I won't take the gig without looking like a crybaby and without throwing the other pilot under the bus' is going get you entirely different responses than 'do I take off knowing I'm overweight or do I tell my owner that his plane cannot legally make this trip without stopping for fuel?'

Welcome to the forum, I hope you hang around. But maybe ask the question you actually want the answer to next time.
JH, it’s OK to be nit picky, I can overlook that :) Thanks for the welcome! It’s been fun so far. BTW, the trip went without me, my choice, and is airborne now, they have a slight tailwind but are likely getting close to reserves with
This is when a voice recorder on your smart phone is worth its weight in unobtainium. If that boss gives you a bad reference in the future for a job at a proper aviation employer, play it.

Voice recorder, one the first things I download when I get a new phone.
This is when a voice recorder on your smart phone is worth its weight in unobtainium. If that boss gives you a bad reference in the future for a job at a proper aviation employer, play it.

Boys and girls, we have a winner!

All of y’all did a great job of responding to my request for opinions and comments. The initiation by way of snipe comments was fun too and y’all might notice that I mostly kept my sense of humor

Thanks guys.

The winners are Stingray Don and Fiveslide for the following post:

Pilots of America
updraft, Fiveslide replied to a thread you are watching at Pilots of America.

Overweight?

Stingray Don

Me; “Okay, here is our flight plan. Looks like we will need to stop at XYZ airport for fuel.”

Owner; “We never have to stop for fuel when Joe Pilot flies the plane. Why can’t you?”

Me; “I don’t know what the weight was nor the weather conditions for his flights, so I can’t comment on that. As for today’s flight, we are carrying xxxx lbs in passengers and baggage. This means we can carry at most xxxx gallons of fuel in order to avoid exceeding the maximum take off weight legally allowed for the plane. Based upon the expected winds aloft, we would need at least xxx gallons of fuel to meet the minimum legal planned reserves at landing. Therefore, to stay legal and safe, we need to stop for fuel.”

Owner; “I don’t want to hear about all the technical stuff, I just need you to make it happen.”

Me; “I will not compromise safety or legality. If you want me to make this trip, we will stop for fuel. If that is not acceptable, then you will need to find another pilot. What would you like to do?”

Owner: Begins a tirade with a stream of profanities.

Me: Walks out the door without saying a word, and heads out for some tasty BBQ with coleslaw.

Back