Over 60? New non-aeromedical blood pressure goals

Being Diabetic, I caught this in the article...

"The guidelines also change the goals for people with kidney disease and diabetes, saying they should be treated at the standard 140 over 90 for patients under age 60. Previously, the goal was 130 over 80."

I'm very happy with working toward and staying at the healthier goal of 120/80 or better. But am curious why this recommendation would be there.

The article seemed to imply that since over-60's were taking other drugs, the drug-drug interactions were more harmful than the higher blood pressure.

I'm 61 and I worked pretty hard to get my bp down to 125 over 85 without medication. I'm not intending to change anything either.

Unless there are other issues such as an aneurysm or reduced systolic function (weak heart) or a few other problems there is little if any benefit in using medications to reduce BP below 150/90 when you get over 60.

It's all well and good to make 150/90 the new normal for people over 60. But if the FAA still flunks you if you bust through 155/95, will you really want to risk being within 5/5 of failing your medical? That's well within the range of "white coat effect."

That is why, about a year ago FAA started to only require, "I am satisfied with my patient's BP control" for a letter, and zapped the EKG and lab. 150/90 still stands for all.

That is why, about a year ago FAA started to only require, "I am satisfied with my patient's BP control" for a letter, and zapped the EKG and lab. 150/90 still stands for all.

I did not know that. Thanks. (109/63 yesterday)

Cheers

That's not far off the FAA standard of 155/95 -- for all ages.

Me? 118/74 on Monday, at age 62. :D

Showoff... next time we're sending in this nurse and see how you do.

Attachments

• PlayboyNurse.jpg
    PlayboyNurse.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 151
I just read up on the new guidelines… I find it very interesting that JNC-8 failed to gain endorsement from the agency that commissioned it, nor major medical societies. I also applaud that the committee chose to proceed with publishing without those endorsements.

Notice that this is for old people, these most likely to be on Medicare and Obamocare. So its the first step in reducing cost to those systems.

High blood pressure. Don't worry. You're too old anyway. Go ahead and drop dead.

Notice that this is for old people, these most likely to be on Medicare and Obamocare. So its the first step in reducing cost to those systems.

High blood pressure. Don't worry. You're too old anyway. Go ahead and drop dead.
I'm no fan of Obamacare but that is not what's going on here. The evidence does not support pushing BP lower in patients of this age group with certain exceptions.

Showoff... next time we're sending in this nurse and see how you do.

My PCP used to have an office nurse who was also an FA. Haven't seen her in a few years. I'm sure she was responsible for some of my higher BP readings. :D

I'm 61. Who are you calling old? :D

Being 67 ,and still going to the gym 5 days a week. I'm feeling picked on.

Brad Pitt is on the cover of AARP. He's old. Well, he turned 50. So 50 is old.

Brad Pitt is on the cover of AARP. He's old. Well, he turned 50. So 50 is old.

Apparently he's the newest Spitfire owner out there. I wonder who would win in a dogfight. Tom Cruise and his Mustang or Brad Pitt and his Spitifire?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back