Oven on the Frits

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
My top over "Dual Ovens" GE brand starting doing some strange things.
We started the Cleaning cycle and it completed but the door says locked even though we can open it. The Oven is now making a clicking sound and we cannot use it to bake anything. It has one of those automatic locking doors. The panel stills says locked.

Any Ideas how to fix before calling GE Service? The good thing about it is we have the second oven we can use. The broken oven is two years old.

Thanks my pilot friends.

Clicking sounds like possibly the actuator that operates the lock. There are plenty of appliance replacement parts websites that might have the part(s) you need for cheaper than the callout fee from the service tech. It might even be as simple as the limit switch on the lock was burned up during the cleaning cycle.

Clicking sounds like possibly the actuator that operates the lock. There are plenty of appliance replacement parts websites that might have the part(s) you need for cheaper than the callout fee from the service tech. It might even be as simple as the limit switch on the lock was burned up during the cleaning cycle.

I will call GE support. Maybe they have Ideas. I can replace parts as long as I know what to replace.

If it's a pilotless gas oven, either the flame sensor or the ignitor may be burned out. More likely the ignitor. When it's the flame sensor, the usual symptom is that it lights okay, burns for a few seconds, and then shuts off.

As for the door lock indicator, I have no idea. It may need to complete a cycle, which would include the flame sensor sensing a flame, to reset itself. But that's just a hunch. I have no training in this area. I'm just a tightwad do-it-yourselfer who's picked up a few things along the way.

Rich

Push (gently) inward on the door while it's clicking and see if... the high heat of the cleaning cycle sometimes warps things just a little and the electric latch may simply be "stuck" and the software is trying over and over to unlatch it with the solenoid. The latch sensor says the latch is still latched in the safety/lock position from the cleaning cycle, so it just keeps trying.

Is the clicking coming from the door latch area (usually near the top)?

I hope that oven isn't on your MEL or you'll need to find alternative housing until it's returned to service.

That's what you get for cleaning it. Usually there is a wiring diagram along with some trouble shooting instructions located either on the back or inside an access cover. Find these and it will give you a good starting point. Post the model number and serial too and we can look for more specifics.

Here's your solution, BTDT: You have a cleaning lady, right? She pulled off the knobs to clean the grease from behind them on the panel, then put them back wrong. The one that says "Oven clean" got reversed with the one for "Oven temperature". I found this out one night when I came home late with just enough money to buy a TV dinner. Popped that sucker in the oven, shut the door and watched TV for half an hour listening to my stomach growl. When the time was up, the oven door had me locked out. Wouldn't budge no matter what I tried. Finally I gave up, went to bed hungry and got up for some ice water in the fridge a few hours later. As I walked by the stove I kicked the cursed thing and to my surprise it opened! I reached inside, tore off the tinfoil and grabbed a fork. Unfortunately, the oven setting of 350° was actually "Self clean" and the Salisbury Steak dinner looked like a photograph on the bottom of an aluminum pan--just a brown spot where it had been. That's what 550° does to a TV dinner--makes a picture of it on metal.

dtuuri

Here's your solution, BTDT: You have a cleaning lady, right?
That never crossed my mind....probably because I can't afford hired help. Perhaps if you cleaned your own oven, you could afford more than a facsimile of a tv dinner:D. First world problems.

That never crossed my mind....probably because I can't afford hired help. Perhaps if you cleaned your own oven, you could afford more than a facsimile of a tv dinner:D. First world problems.
Hmmm. I think I found your fiscal problem.
Heh, heh. Wrong-o impression. It was an apartment. I hadn't used the oven before, since I had moved in about a year earlier. No need to, what with Happy Hours and such. Even afterwards, I didn't know what had happened until some friends were over and the lady said she used to love the Pullman kitchen when she had an apartment there. As she studied the stove she goes, "Something doesn't seem right." In a Eureka moment and in one deft movement--she swaps out the knobs. Voila! Oven fixed!

dtuuri

Heh, heh. Wrong-o impression. It was an apartment. I hadn't used the oven before, since I had moved in about a year earlier. No need to, what with Happy Hours and such. Even afterwards, I didn't know what had happened until some friends were over and the lady said she used to love the Pullman kitchen when she had an apartment there. As she studied the stove she goes, "Something doesn't seem right." In a Eureka moment and in one deft movement--she swaps out the knobs. Voila! Oven fixed!

Apartments come with cleaning ladies back then?

Apartments come with cleaning ladies back then?
No, man. They clean it before they rent it. In my case, when I left the stove was the cleanest thing in the place next to, maybe, the broom closet..

dtuuri

Sounds like the self cleaning system has a bug. Very common problem. The oven door gets locked as the temps get up there (it actually cleans at much higher than 550..) and the door lock is to keep you from opening the door and having a flashover when all the oxygen-rich cool air spills in.

The problem gets worse if the system loses power during the cycle. Each brand uses a slightly different system, but there are tons of videos on YouTube addressing the issue.

Back