Outline for IFR written test topics?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Does anyone know of a site that outlines the detailed topics for the IFR written test? Not looking for something high level like the PTS, this would get down to the level of listing all the topics, but not listing facts. Got a 56 on my first practice test and realized how much more there is to learn.

For example, there's VOR navigation. A subtopic in this is reception distances based on the type and altitude. So I don't want all the answers, just a check list to say "yup, I understand that topic".

Tried to start this myself yesterday using the Instrument Flying Handbook as a reference and it's kinda working, but it's a huge task. So...surely someone has done this before?

Not what you're asking for but shappardair program will have you test ready in a matter of days scoring in the 90's. Again its only used to pass the written not to actually "learn" the material. But you still learn as well if you read all the explanations.

I'm sure most programs are similar, but I used goldmethod and you can see the topic breakdowns like this:

upload_2020-4-17_10-7-10.png

not sure if that helps. basically, study everything.

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-17_10-4-10.png
    upload_2020-4-17_10-4-10.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 11
How about the ACS?

edit...I see you excluded the PTS from possibilities.

Last edited:
Eman, too high level. There are probably 100 topics below those levels.

I'll start my own outline. That is probably useful for learning too.

Eman, too high level. There are probably 100 topics below those levels.

I'll start my own outline. That is probably useful for learning too.

sorry, not really sure what you're looking for. I just studied, no outline needed.

Does anyone know of a site that outlines the detailed topics for the IFR written test? ...

Tried to start this myself yesterday using the Instrument Flying Handbook as a reference and it's kinda working, but it's a huge task. So...surely someone has done this before?
Studying "topics" or memorizing answers is too boring and too abstract to do much good long term. That's why my AvClicks.com tutorials take a different tack. They're arranged in phase of flight sequence, so you can directly relate how theory is applied to real life operations. They assume you already know a lot of material and are motivated to look up what you don't know on an as needed basis, as you go from slide to slide. I'd be interested to know how much they help somebody like you who's seriously interested in learning and not just passing the test.

@eman1200 - Nice addition. However, you used sentence case and the rest of the options did not. Also yours was not bold.

[Perhaps you did that intentionally so more of crazy folks would see it?]

Back