Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Whenever I travel(US) hotels, private homes like today,
I find I can get on the web, I can receive mail
BUT I cannot send mail!
I get the same error msg saying to check my stmp or something.
Netscape 7.2, Toshiba, Win-the latest.

Dave,

Many (but not all) hotels block outbound Port 25 (outbound email), and most mail providers block relays from addresses outside their network. Some hotels provide a "proxy" outbound email relay - in those hotels the outbound email will work with no further configuration.

Easiest solution is to call the "help" number listed on the hotel high-speed internet box and ask what their outbound SMTP relay server is. You will need to reconfigure your email program to use it (make sure you write down the old setting so you can restore it when you go home).

Some hotels are even worse: they block ALL email access, including receiving email. I checked out of one last week after I discovered that I couldn't do anything except browse the web from my room.

wsuffa said:
Dave,

Many (but not all) hotels block outbound Port 25 (outbound email), and most mail providers block relays from addresses outside their network. Some hotels provide a "proxy" outbound email relay - in those hotels the outbound email will work with no further configuration.

The major problem is the clueless who are unwittingly hosting remote control led bots for spammers. They can send their loyal army messages and addresses to flood out and the bot's built in mail engine will spam away.

Note that Yahoo and Gmail solve this by using a different port, which drives ME nuts because when I set up a new mail client I can't figure out why I can't send from home until I remember to change the port number. :dunno:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-03.html

If you have the option to use SSL authentication on port 443, or TLS that will also get you around the port 25 block.

Last edited:
mail2web you have to give them your master PW, is it safe?
how do you know?

Dave, unless you are logged onto the ISP you set your local mail client (Outlook, etc.) up to connect to you will need to to go that ISP's webmail website to compose and send email "on the road". Cut and paste comes in handy in this instance (compose offline, connect, paste into webmail message, send). My daughter found this out when she took her laptop to school and tried to send mail logged onto the school's net.

I should mention that both Yahoo mail and GMail will let you send email using the web and POP using YOUR domain address as the source. You have to be able to authenticate with your password before sending. I'm sending through Yahoo just because it seems to me more reliable than my ISP. At least the email programs work better with it. Google will add your gmail address as the source "on behalf of" your regular address in attempt to stifle scammers.

Last edited:
I forgot about our conv. but have been using mail2web for a month now since my isp has completely absconded with our service but still collects from people (my new sbc dsl should be up and installed when I return), its very tedious but at least its access. And travelling again, so still M2W.
Thanks

I agree with Mike. Sign up for a gmail account and then just use it for access. Gmail actually allows you to send e-mail as your secondary address (once verified). I've set my brother up so that his e-mail address forwards into his gmail account. Then when he replies it sends it as his personal address. Nobody ever even knows your using gmail (unless they read the headers) but you're able to send and receive from any computer.

Then sign up for google calendar. Who needs outlook?

I can VPN to my company and connect to the SMTP server that way when on the road. Is that a possibility?

N2212R said:
I can VPN to my company and connect to the SMTP server that way when on the road. Is that a possibility?
If you can get email from the office it should work from the road over VPN.

I'm not allowed to put my "filthy, untrusted" personal PC (a Mac now) on the office network, which is the way I like it because that keeps me from getting the next Code Red or Nimda worm from the "clean" network. When that one hit it occured to me I was safe behind my home firewall but I would have been at risk on the secure network.

Our VPN, at least the one you can run on your own PC, uses remote control only...and it's unsupported...and there's no way it could work on a Mac outside of Windows XP :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

I've used Outlook and hotmail to send email before. I just change the replyto address to my main account. At least that seemed to work before.

wsuffa said:
Many (but not all) hotels block outbound Port 25 (outbound email), and most mail providers block relays from addresses outside their network.
I used to have problems sending outbound e-mails from hotels but not any more. I realize from reading this discussion what happened. I had to change my outbound SMTP port to 587 for my new home connection to work, and it works on the road also.

Nice thing about using Comcast... I can simply log onto their website and handle e-mail (both ways) from there. Then download the results to my computer at home with Outlook when I get home. Work e-mail works courtesy of VPN.

N2212R said:

I configured a VPN endpoint on a static IP address, and found a way to configure it to allow Port 25 outgoing through the VPN. It works great. And it's even better in hotels that offer wireless internet access through open and unsecured systems. Your ability to do this will depend on your VPN client and the ability to drop a VPN endpoint router on a connection. I think I paid a grand total of $39 plus shipping for a refurb endpoint router and something a bit more than that for the VPN software for the computer.

Back