Outdoor Grill Parts WTF?

Around these parts - BBQ is whatever animal you can fit on the smoker. Sausage is for all the extra, leftover, bits. Brisket and ribs are probably the main item, followed closely by pork. Down the list is chicken and sausage.

I think it's kind of neat how Q varies among different parts of the country.

Mind you, we smoke just about anything as well. But when we say "barbecue" with out qualification, it is PORK.

I am more of an eastern BBQ fan but I like it either way. Favorite trip is to KEXX to grab the fbo's crown vic and drive to lexington BBQ.

FlyingRon is correct, barbecue is pork. If you're "having a barbecue" it generally means burgers and dogs. If you're cooking barbecue, it gets confusing, so you might say "i'm cooking a shoulder"

You guys on that side of the Mississippi...:rolleyes2:

To have a "cookout", you grill up burgers and dogs, or chicken.

To have a "barbecue" you smoke ribs, brisket, pork, chicken, ...

And if you say, "I'll have some BBQ", you'll have to specify which kind of meat.

--

And by the way - I had a brisket and pork sandwich for lunch. It was a BBQ sandwich.

By the way, I still have some left over brisket and ribs from the first run of the cooker...a brisket sandwich sounds like a great idea for dinner...

Now we can start talking about sauces. In the Carolinas we essentially have three sauces:

1. The South Carolina Mustard based sauce (Essentially French's Yellow mustard, vinegar, (in my case) butter, and a few spices. Goes great on the brisket sandwich by the way. Mine is really good and usually goes fast.

2. The eastern style sauce. This is essentially just vinegar and pepper flakes. It's usually already slathered on the finely chopped pork when they serve it to you over there. I keep some around for my friends from that end of the state. It's not hard to make.

3. The lexington style dip. This is a mixture of ketchup and vinegar and some additional stuff. This is served on the side (though often mixed in with the cole slaw at places on this side of the state). I'm working on my recipe for this, but I can't do as well as my favorite rendition of this so I usually buy it from "Lexington Style Trimmings" over in Lexington.

I usually keep some of the tomatoey kansas city style stuff around for chicken or for those who must drown their ribs in it.

Of course, my other personal invention that is well received is the roasted chicken with Cheerwine reduction glaze (Cheerwine is another NC thing).

My long time pilot buddy who grew up here can't figure out how it is that a "Yankee" (which is an odd thing to call a boy from Virginia) can make such good NC barbeque.

Carolina Mustard is wonderful stuff. Fairly rare to see served here, but a few places have it.

mmm - I like that Carolina stuff, too. All three of the sauces you mentioned are good.

KC sauce is typically tomato or molasses based, or a combination, then mixed with brown sugar, cayenne, chili powder, garlic, mustard, vinegar, and a host of other things. Some is thick, some is runny, some is sweet - everyone has their favorite.

Back