Out With the Old...

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
...it's so very strange, the house next door to us is to be razed tomorrow because, in this day and age, 4,000 square feet is wholly inadequate space for living. As you may note from the attached pics, this is (was) a pretty nice house, and it was finished inside in a very sumptuous way. The neighbors were like extra grandparents for Tommy, and special friends for us, but the Mrs went senile, and the Mr was moved out by his son, who was uncomfortable with Dad living alone in the house.

It looks nice even now, but on the inside, it's a shambles, with all the walls mangled from wire being pulled out for copper recovery.

It will likely be a pile of rubble tomorrow night, and a 7,500 square foot monstrosity with 22 rooflines and a turret in six months. :mad:

Attachments

• DSCN4264.JPG
    DSCN4264.JPG
    722.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN4265.JPG
    DSCN4265.JPG
    728.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN4266.JPG
    DSCN4266.JPG
    678.4 KB · Views: 32
I'm curious what it sold for with the current home intact then the value of the lot alone. I've seen some pretty old and dilapidated homes torn down in Atlanta to make space for building a modern structure. But, in some cases you have a $300k+ home just down the street from something on par with a crack house. I guess they'll do it one house at a time until they turn an entire neighborhood into high-end homes.

I'm curious what it sold for with the current home intact then the value of the lot alone. I've seen some pretty old and dilapidated homes torn down in Atlanta to make space for building a modern structure. But, in some cases you have a $300k+ home just down the street from something on par with a crack house. I guess they'll do it one house at a time until they turn an entire neighborhood into high-end homes.

Only one house which has sold within the past five years, in our block, has *not* been razed. So, when houses sell, they are pretty much selling for lot value. This house closed last week, and they'll be grading for the foundation within seven days.

Only one house which has sold within the past five years, in our block, has *not* been razed. So, when houses sell, they are pretty much selling for lot value. This house closed last week, and they'll be grading for the foundation within seven days.
Are you finding yourself living in a tombstone waiting for removal? It seems that way with what you describe.

Around here, you'd be amazed at the number of new homes built with an older appearance such as a full wrap-around porch on two or three sides. Subdivisions are cracker boxes, usually. Some of the expensive homes are still tract homes with just a more expensive cookie cutter.

I just moved out of a townhouse in a small town into a small ranch style home on the other side of the same town. But, in Buckhead they want more space. So, townhouse are often three and four stories. Elevators are not uncommon. It's insane!

Spike,

Don't you feel the urge to have a newer, bigger house? ;)

This sounds like a great promotion for a realtor. "Buy the lot, and we'll throw in the house for free!"

...it's so very strange, the house next door to us is to be razed tomorrow because, in this day and age, 4,000 square feet is wholly inadequate space for living. As you may note from the attached pics, this is (was) a pretty nice house, and it was finished inside in a very sumptuous way. The neighbors were like extra grandparents for Tommy, and special friends for us, but the Mrs went senile, and the Mr was moved out by his son, who was uncomfortable with Dad living alone in the house.

It looks nice even now, but on the inside, it's a shambles, with all the walls mangled from wire being pulled out for copper recovery.

It will likely be a pile of rubble tomorrow night, and a 7,500 square foot monstrosity with 22 rooflines and a turret in six months. :mad:

Spike,

That is one of the reasons I didn't like Dallas - there is very much a "f-you" mentality when it comes to homes and where you live. Gigantic homes and some pretty creepy ones, too (down near where Perot Sr. lives, I forget the neighborhood, the one with all the nice manicured grass on the traffic islands, south of Plano)

I remember talking with Dave S. about housing, and then chatting with a co-worker about the areas that Dave was suggesting (nice areas, good homes, well priced, recent construction, by my measure good schools...) - the coworker said "Only poor white trash live there" - this coming from a guy making $100k and mortgaged out to $750k....

You sure do get a lot of house for the money down your way, though... and there are some respectable PoA'ers in the area too! (Except you Spike - nothing we can do about you, sadly :rofl: )

Cue Dr. Bruce...

Cheers,

-Andrew

...it's so very strange, the house next door to us is to be razed tomorrow because, in this day and age, 4,000 square feet is wholly inadequate space for living.

So, what exactly do you do with a 7500 sq ft house? Wait, let me rephrase that; What exactly do you do with a 4000 sq ft house? Or even a 2500 sq ft house? Unless you have 20 kids and 6 inlaws living with you, a 600-800 sq ft house is way more than adequate for 2 people. If you get back to basics, 160 sq ft is adequate for 1 person, 320 sq ft is plenty of room for 2 people...and that's a comfortable size for living and having guests on occasion.

Besides, as Granny on Beverly Hillbillies once said "By the time I get done cleanin' this place, it's time to start over again."

Yeah, but what are people to do??? I mean, if you need a place to put that starter castle, then you've just got to elbow something outta the way! :rolleyes:

Spike, did the developers make the sellers take $1500 off the price due to a cracked foundation? That what's happened here.

The foundation was very much further cracked a week after the close.

Spike,

That is one of the reasons I didn't like Dallas - there is very much a "f-you" mentality when it comes to homes and where you live. Gigantic homes and some pretty creepy ones, too (down near where Perot Sr. lives, I forget the neighborhood, the one with all the nice manicured grass on the traffic islands, south of Plano)

I remember talking with Dave S. about housing, and then chatting with a co-worker about the areas that Dave was suggesting (nice areas, good homes, well priced, recent construction, by my measure good schools...) - the coworker said "Only poor white trash live there" - this coming from a guy making $100k and mortgaged out to $750k....

You sure do get a lot of house for the money down your way, though... and there are some respectable PoA'ers in the area too! (Except you Spike - nothing we can do about you, sadly :rofl: )

Cue Dr. Bruce...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Andrew:

It is very location-driven; some 'hoods are maintaining their "character" quite nicely, with architecturally-appropriate renovations going on. What bothers me is not the demolition of houses which are, essentially, beyond their useful value, and there are quite a few of those, especially those built with less well-engineered slab foundations on our expansive "gumbo" soil around here.

But when we bought our home in 1992, we scrimped and clawed to do it, and knew we were getting what was, for us, a "destination" house- 3700sqft, more space than we could ever possibly need and a cool funky feel to it (50s modern).

Now, the market having done what the market does, we cannot possibly justify spending meaningful money on upgrades, since it is not the kind of house the market wants... so we maintain it, and do little else. It do suck.

Good thing is, I have heard that the builder is a good one with a reputation for quality, and the house is on the west side of ours, so it will not block our morning light, but rather, it will block the blasting sun in the summer afternoons. And, it will be good to have neighbors, again, on that side.

And Frank, the question of what one does with houses of this size is a good one; I used to think I wanted a really big house, but there are parts of our house we rarely set foot in, and 90% of our living is done in 20% of our house, so your question is a good one, for both personal and societal consideration.

When the house on the east side of ours sold, we were resigned to the buyers tearing it down and building a "Junior League Georgian" there, but instead, the folks (couple about our age who, wisely, got their kid-birthing out of the way early in life) just fixed it up as nice as can be- a real show place - and they are as comfortable as bugs in a rug in their 2300-ish foot home. Their reasoning in down-sizing to that? They did not want to have any room for either of their sons to come home to live in!

===

It's all the inevitable tides of life, but I don't have to like it, do I?

"Only poor white trash live there" - this coming from a guy making $100k and mortgaged out to $750k....

8:1 debt to income? Ugh, NFW for me. I guess I'll be white trash.

Last edited:
because, in this day and age, 4,000 square feet is wholly inadequate space for living.

Looks very much like our mid-70's brick rancher, only we're only getting by with a measly 3300sq ft.

I personally like those older ranchers, generally well built, and you get a lot of house for your money. Certainly doesn't have the curb presence of those McMansions, though.

I used to think I wanted a really big house, but there are parts of our house we rarely set foot in, and 90% of our living is done in 20% of our house, so your question is a good one, for both personal and societal consideration.

Looking at our house, when Holly leaves the nest (I'll be 58-62 then, we started late), I'll want to down size, not go bigger.

What I'd want is 1500sq foot, very well insulated and fuel efficient, and very high quality on the inside. But, at least these days, people want high curb appeal monstrosities, not small high quality homes.

I'm looking at what we'll have to pay for heat and electricity in retirement, the utility bills will likely be as much or more than we pay for mortgages now. No way, I want small, efficient, and nice for retirement.

I hope someone is building stuff like that when the time comes.

Now, the market having done what the market does, we cannot possibly justify spending meaningful money on upgrades, since it is not the kind of house the market wants... so we maintain it, and do little else. It do suck.

Ditto. So, we're doing small not really expensive but really improves your living experience type things to the interior. Sherry loves all of those HGTV home improvement shows, and has lots of ideas.

Looking at our house, when Holly leaves the nest (I'll be 58-62 then, we started late), I'll want to down size, not go bigger.

What I'd want is 1500sq foot, very well insulated and fuel efficient, and very high quality on the inside. But, at least these days, people want high curb appeal monstrosities, not small high quality homes.

I'm looking at what we'll have to pay for heat and electricity in retirement, the utility bills will likely be as much or more than we pay for mortgages now. No way, I want small, efficient, and nice for retirement.

I hope someone is building stuff like that when the time comes.

We're working with an architect to design and build something like this at the farm for retirement. Not only energy efficient, but I'm also trying to get us off the grid. Haven't seen any pkg deals like you're talking about.

My wife wants a smaller house for our next (last) house - something around 1500 sq.ft. ranch. Ok by me, as long as I can put a 1000 sq. ft. garage/workshop in the back yard and push the neighbors further away on all four sides ... 10 acres away on all four sides!

My wife wants a smaller house for our next (last) house - something around 1500 sq.ft. ranch. Ok by me, as long as I can put a 1000 sq. ft. garage/workshop in the back yard and push the neighbors further away on all four sides ... 10 acres away on all four sides!

What he said.

We've got the land, 37 acres, and the hubby gets his garage first (30' x 48' to be completed by July). So the house is mine to plan! :yes: :D

When we retire, my wife and I are going to live on a boat. Get tired of the neighbors? Hit the start buttons. Plus, no room for the kids to move back home after college. Of course, we will have a waterfront condo to act as closet space.

Spike,

Don't you feel the urge to have a newer, bigger house? ;)

This sounds like a great promotion for a realtor. "Buy the lot, and we'll throw in the house for free!"

That's happening in my neighborhood too on Lake Livingston. One of my neighbors just down the street had a couple knock on her door and offer her an obscene amount of money for her very average home with a fabulous waterfront location. The new owners are dozing the house and building a new one, and that has my other neighbor steamed because it's going to be so big he will no longer have a water view.

Now if I could just find a buyer like that for my house....... I have a great view and a private cul de sac - maybe that's how I should market it - I think you're onto something Cheesey!

None of that going on in my neighborhood. All custom homes, none (except for one) older than 1972. People are spending money remodeling, re-roofing (that be me) and re-doing landscaping (that was us a couple years ago), but bulldozing and starting over? Not here. We had a new one built a few years ago, but that replaced the one that burned. And the replacement looks just about identical on the outside. Houses range from around 2500 to 3800 square feet (ours is 3700). The main attraction? HOA owns 1000 feet of beach on Budd Inlet, the southernmost extention of Puget Sound. Most houses have views of Mt. Rainier and on up the inlet. We've got a private dock that extends 120 feet from the shore line (goes dry at low tide). Prices are such that tearing one down to re-build would make no sense at all. Sure a nice place to live. Summers are perfect :yes: , the rest of the year, well, I hope you like gloom and rain. :(

Hope the folks that build that monster are good neighbors. That will make up for a lot.

When we retire, my wife and I are going to live on a boat. Get tired of the neighbors? Hit the start buttons. Plus, no room for the kids to move back home after college. Of course, we will have a waterfront condo to act as closet space.

Sounds good Ken... But I have to tell ya something.

Marina space is obscenely overpriced down there.

My aunt and uncle used to live on a boat. Loved it. Now they live in a condo. Why? Well, they found a condo that included dock space for their boat, for less than they'd been spending to park their boat. Now they're up to two condos and two boats. :yes:

i think when i grow up, ill just live in my hangar. yep thatll be perfect.

That's happening in my neighborhood too on Lake Livingston. One of my neighbors just down the street had a couple knock on her door and offer her an obscene amount of money for her very average home with a fabulous waterfront location. The new owners are dozing the house and building a new one, and that has my other neighbor steamed because it's going to be so big he will no longer have a water view.

Laurie:

If your neighborhood was developed in a reasonably-cohesive manner (and on Lake Livingston, I bet it was), there is an excellent chance that there are covenants and restrictions on file which serve to protect the lake views of non-waterfront properties. It is, in any event, worth them looking.

Many people, years upon years after they have been in their home, do not even recall the existence of these CC&Rs, and they must be acted upon if they are to be enforced.

Just my $0.02.

Back