Out of Fuel

Another way is there is no fuel available at the airport where you were planning on refueling. So pilot makes the decision to try and make it to the next airport, and doesn't..

This happened to me, but I made my alternate. I bought the plane back east, and did some careful planning on fuel. Got to my first stop for fuel, and they ran out the day before. After checking the gauge, and the stick, and my calcs said I had between 8 and 9 gal on take off. I had to go a bit over 14NM, and I did it at low power, and made a straight in with no pattern. I didn't like it.

Just to conserve fuel I actually got the tow bar out and pulled the plane by hand all the way to the run-up pad. Start - lean - mag check - vac check - taxi on - rich - take off - reduce power to 55% - lean.

I am sure that helicopters run out of fuel but I am equallysure no helo pilot EVER wants to be in that spot. If you are cruising along at 600 feet, and the fuel alarm goes off, you may have about 5 mintes to put it on the ground under power. Any longer, and you will be doing an autorotation. Not quite straight down but not a glide either.
Practice autos are hair raising. I cannot imagine what a real one would be like.

Also don't most helicopters have a fraction of the endurance of an airplane? I assume keeping track of fuel is of paramount importance in a helicopter so it's not as easy to let slip like GA pilots are wont to do.

Also don't most helicopters have a fraction of the endurance of an airplane? I assume keeping track of fuel is of paramount importance in a helicopter so it's not as easy to let slip like GA pilots are wont to do.

That is it, either the tank isn't big enough or more likely you can't carry the weight. I only fueled the r22 at a gas station once(etc, pre ethanol days.)

Another one. There is a 172 model with a cockpit fuel strainer activator. Pilot left it in the pulled out position. In the pulled out position, it leaks fuel (intended so you can do a water check on your fuel, on the ground of course). Plane leaked fuel for an hour or so and then ran bone dry. Off field landing, survived, but plane totaled. Moral? Know your airplane. Check fuel level regularly etc.

Leave a gas cap off or loose, fuel gets sucked out. That has happened as well. Check those gas caps. Line boys might not.

IF they are accurate, I would have to do some testing before I put too much faith in them

I think the spec is +/-3% of full scale, most of them are under that. That would be 1.2 gallons out of 40.

I live by the most pessimistic of: The fuel gauge, my JPI totalizer, and what I computed the endurance to

This.

My totalizer is accurate - I put it when when doing long trips out west. Because of the turbocharger, the adjustments are relatively touchy, and book is not exactly accurate.

To avoid issues from leaks, I watch the gauges, too. Totalizer is wonderful, but not perfect.

I wonder how many fuel exhaustion accidents happen early in the ownership period for the airplane? Our old Tomahawk burned more fuel than the book said by nearly a gallon an hour. I found that out the hard way when I landed in Daytona one time after a 4 hour X/C. When I topped off, the airplane took about 4 more gallons than I expected. I was into my 30 minute reserve and didn't even know it. Sobering.

After that, we recalibrated our fuel burn expectations and were never surprised again.

How does this happen. Again and again it happens pilots running out of fuel. Who is most likely to run out? Seems rare of a helicopter running out of fuel not to many seaplanes or jets a few twin engine and lots of single engine land . As to pilot times some low time some high time why?

80% of the human population is stupid, this includes pilots.

Try burning 12 and leaking 38.

My wife back when she was a school teacher, would close down her classroom in mid-June and head to the airport. She's help the mechanic (cleaning up the shop, opening access panels, etc...) to get all the backlog ahead of our plane out and then to the grunt work on our annual. I'd come over on the weekends to help. One year we were bumping right up on the beginning of Oshkosh. The mechanic finished the "annual" and signed off the books and headed off for her IA continuing education. Me, Margy, and the other (non-IA) mechanic spent the afternoon putting the plane back together. I did a quick test flight, opened up the cowl, etc... and looked for leaks not seeing any topped off all the tanks for our departure the next morning.

Well Margy was flying and we had departed VKX and made it to about the Potomac river when I noticed the main fuel gauge was not pegged anymore. Odd, I thought, I'm sure I topped it off (now it's possible if you fill a Navion too fast that you can over flow the filler neck before the tanks get full, but I've not made that mistake after the first time it happened years earlier). I point it out to Margy (who is flying) and said I'ld keep an eye on it.

Margy at this point is negotiating with Dulles approach for a class B transition and flight following to our first stop which was intended to be Bluffton Ohio. Just about the time she got the clearance, I conclude that we really are burning fuel at an ungodly rate. Margy looks to the left (Leesburg) and right (Frederick), I point out Leesburg looks closer. We decline emergency assistance from IAD after we tell them we're diverting. I figure we still have 80 gallons left aboard.

We park the plane, and I take off to find a mechanic. We had had the boost pump overhauled during the annual process so we figured that might be a good place to start. It's in a bear of a location on the Navion but Margy knows where it is so when I come back with the mechanic, Margy's sitting there removing the access panels to get to it. "How do you get her to do that?" the mechanic asked. I tell him she was the one who just did the annual.

Anyway we open up the cowling and kick the boost pump on. Fuel geysers out of not the boost pump but the hose that runs from the boost pump to the engine driven pump at the fitting on the engine pump (oh, and we replaced all the hoses at that annual, the one that was on that part had a date stamp of 1948...two years older than the plane!). Turns out it never got a wrench put to it. We tighten it up and all is good. I get the fuel truck and put 20 gallons back in the main, what was consumed in our 20 minute flight from VKX to JYO.

Regardless of what everything else tells you, if the gauges are doing something they haven't done before, FIGURE OUT WHY. Fuel leaks can be very difficult to find. Fuel evaporates pretty darned quickly so we didn't see any signs of it after the test flight.

Back