"OTHER" flight training programs feedback? (Instrument)

AlpineAce

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
so I did a search on "best Ifr training programs"
and the usual results, with many of them here on POA, are between Sportys and KING. (and sheppard for the test prep) ( I have watched the Jeppessen videos, and its like a high school video:sleep:)
but as I'm sure you all know there are several others, and Id like to get some feedback on those.
Such as:
MzeroA
Gold seal
Pilot Training Solutions
dauntless,
etc, etc..

Some are for "learning the information", while others are for "learning how to take the test"...decide which route you want to take.

I used the following for my IFR written (I probably over studied), and here's where they fell between "learning the info" and "learning the test".

Books such as the FAA "Instrument Procedure Handbook" and ASA "Instrument Flying Handbook", best for "learning the information"

GoldMethod and Aviation Seminar, best for "learning how to take the test".

Sportys video, covered both "learning the information" and "learning how to take the test", but more of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none approach.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot "Boldmethod" quizzes...great for both as well. There are hundreds of free quizzes online.

Last edited:
So are the King or Sporty’s prep already kicked out of the bed???

For ground king is VERY good.

But you don’t really want a good program or school, instead find a good CFII and go from there and follow their suggestions.

I tried slogging through the [heavy] [expensive] Jeppesen Instrument & Commercial book, but kept falling asleep . . . Got me a CFII transitioning from regional airlines, going back to school fulltime. Learned lots! CFII knew I planned to use my Mooney for travel, crossing mountains to see family, and beat proper procedures into my head.

Having used the Gleim "Be a Pilot" kit for my PPL, I bought their Instrument kit. Nothing special, just needed test prep. Dad-blamed NDB stuff kept killing me on the sample tests, I've still never flown one (took my checkride in 2010, never flown a plane with a functional ADF or anything requiring caging; tests have finally been updated to eliminate that crap). Just buy this year's stuff, look for something online that will provide random sample tests. Study everything, keep taking random sample tests until you are consistently scoring in the 90s.

Good luck!

I tried slogging through the [heavy] [expensive] Jeppesen Instrument & Commercial book, but kept falling asleep . . . Got me a CFII transitioning from regional airlines, going back to school fulltime. Learned lots! CFII knew I planned to use my Mooney for travel, crossing mountains to see family, and beat proper procedures into my head.

Having used the Gleim "Be a Pilot" kit for my PPL, I bought their Instrument kit. Nothing special, just needed test prep. Dad-blamed NDB stuff kept killing me on the sample tests, I've still never flown one (took my checkride in 2010, never flown a plane with a functional ADF or anything requiring caging; tests have finally been updated to eliminate that crap). Just buy this year's stuff, look for something online that will provide random sample tests. Study everything, keep taking random sample tests until you are consistently scoring in the 90s.

Good luck!
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your nostalgia level), ADF is no longer a subject on the IFR written...

I just attended a weekend cram course from Aviation Seminars. I did all their preliminary prep materials, took three practice tests Monday/Tuesday, took the test Wednesday and got a 90. I am under no illusions that I've learned everything I need to fly IFR, but brute force memorization is for me a great way to learn, and so far has been a useful platform upon which, I hope, to build true instrument proficiency.

I just attended a weekend cram course from Aviation Seminars. I did all their preliminary prep materials, took three practice tests Monday/Tuesday, took the test Wednesday and got a 90. I am under no illusions that I've learned everything I need to fly IFR, but brute force memorization is for me a great way to learn, and so far has been a useful platform upon which, I hope, to build true instrument proficiency.
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I also went to Aviation Seminars, and I did not feel that it helped me at all...but, I kept thinking to myself, "If I was younger this would have worked better for me then." I went at 50 years old, and I felt like I was back in college cramming for an exam...except now at 50 "cramming" doesn't seem to work anymore.

I dis the Jep instrument text book read through and did the questions then followed with King Course. Felt very prepared. Only got two questions wrong.
The read through was tedious and some stuck but double downing it with King really made it stick.
I know King is campy but it works. It’s like a car accident, you can’t stop watching!!

It’s like a car accident, you can’t stop watching!!

Just what I think about watching Duck Dynasty in TV, which I stumbled onto during a marathon. Except I used "train wreck" to describe them. If the Kings are like that, put the tapes (?? disks?) in one at a time . . . .

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I also went to Aviation Seminars, and I did not feel that it helped me at all...but, I kept thinking to myself, "If I was younger this would have worked better for me then." I went at 50 years old, and I felt like I was back in college cramming for an exam...except now at 50 "cramming" doesn't seem to work anymore.

From another 50 something - FWIW...to “pass the test”, I did a two and a half day local offering @ $395 and used the Sporty’s Study Buddy app leading up to the class and in the evenings between the classes. Took the test on the afternoon of the third day...done. Obviously plenty more to learn going forward, but certainly an economical way to get the test done. Good luck!

so I did a search on "best Ifr training programs"
and the usual results, with many of them here on POA, are between Sportys and KING. (and sheppard for the test prep) ( I have watched the Jeppessen videos, and its like a high school video:sleep:)
but as I'm sure you all know there are several others, and Id like to get some feedback on those.
Such as:
MzeroA
Gold seal
Pilot Training Solutions
dauntless,
etc, etc..
Looks like someone selling their Sporty’s IR DVD program in the classifieds for $100 if you decide to go that route. Good luck!

Another book to look at for the IR is Machado's Instrument Pilot Survival Guide (or something close to that). I bought a copy at Sun-n-Fun in 2005 (or 2006?) and it is great. His information on figuring out holding pattern entries is worth the price of the book alone. And, no, I won't cheat Rod out of a sale by telling you the secret. Buy the book and look for yourself.

Back