[OT] ID the language these characters belong to?[OT]

catmandu

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Catmandu
zrk6qZAJ_400x400.jpg

The characters on top have to do with Blue Lotus (I know the symbol on the bottom represents that), I think, but no idea about the origin?

Probably Hindu or closely related.

If you do a Google image search, you will find it is some sort of Japanese symbol.

By no means an authoritative answer, but I tried to play detective. Google image search and translation indicated it represents Wenshu Bodhisatva. Original name being Manjushri. It is clearly not Devanagari but somewhat similar, so I looked at Brahmi and Siddham (scripts). The letter seems to be alternative form of "ma". The dot and half moon represents nasal sound. It would be what beginning of Manjushri would look like if written in Siddham script (I think, I don't know Siddham but do know Devanagari). My very amateurish opinion is that it represents Manjushri in Siddham script. He is also associated with lotus.

Last edited:
https://images.google.com

Upload an image or use a URL.

On a computer pick an image from your HD. If you are on iOS you can pick a photo from your Photos app. I presume you can do something similar on Android.

Well I'll be danged. It worked. I plugged in my avatar jpg and this came up

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com › Home › Members
upload_2021-6-6_12-55-21.jpeg
175 × 287 — luvflyin. Final Approach, Male, from Vancouver, WA. PoA Supporter. luvflyin was last seen: Viewing latest content, Today at 10:15 AM. Profile Posts · Recent ...

Alright, after cropping the image to just the symbol, and then doing an image search, it seems it is the Japanese Zodiac symbol for the rabbit. The symbol comes from Brahmic script, which came to Japan with Buddhism. Not sure how it relates to Blue Lotus, but this as far down this, um, hole, I need to go.

Thanks all, you prodded me to expand my search and get a decent enough answer to a curiosity.

Back