Osteoporosis if you have this is it a deal breaker, I know it a bone breaker

1600vw

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
H.A.S.
Anyone know the FAA thoughts on this disease? Is it a deal breaker for getting ones PPL.
If you had this disease would you fly? :dunno:

H.A.S

1) According to AOPA, these osteoporosis medications are allowed:
Actonel - risedronate sodium
Boniva - ibandronate
Forteo (injection) - teriparatide
Fosamax - alendronate
Miacalcin - calcitonin-salmon
Prolia - denosumab
Reclast - zoledronic acid

2) Osteoporosis does not prevent getting a third class medical.

3) I have, do, and would fly with osteoporosis, both treated and untreated.

Attachments

• OsteoporosisMeds.bmp
    27.5 KB · Views: 216
Given that roughly half of all women over 50 suffer it to some degree, I suspect there are a plethora of osteoperotic pilots.

Given that roughly half of all women over 50 suffer it to some degree, I suspect there are a plethora of osteoperotic pilots.

This disease is so personal.

I have women tell me all the time they have Osteoporosis and they do not act nothing like me, meaning they walk without a cain and work ect.

I then ask them how many bones they have broke? Almost all tell me none. For a man to have this in his 40 and break for no good reason its totally different then a women whom gets this disease.

I know longer take any meds for this disease. I took them for such a long time I had to stop. They where not doing any good anyway.

This disease has been fighting me since I was in my 20's. It was not until I was 42 the doctors found I had this disease. I spent the next 4 years in and out of the hospital, more in then out.

I am told all the time....You look fine. I explain it like this.

You find a car that is in show room shape, but the frame is rusted in half all over the place. The car may look great, but its not worth anything, or its junk.

Actually I am a very lucky man. If it would have not been for this disease I would still to this day be working so hard there would be no time to do the things I want. It may be tough to do these things but so what, it could be worse.

Lucky for sure.

Osteoporosis does not mean for many people disability. Certainly, depending on the the degree of osteoporosis you have certain activities would not be recommended, but if you have not sustained any significant fractures or fractures in the wrong place, you may have absolutely no symptoms. As far as you are concerned I would speak to the doctor who is taking care of you for osteoporosis and see what his recommendations are as osteoporosis is as someone else said "a personal disease."

Good luck.

Osteoporosis is not mentioned specifically in the FAA's Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners. For that reason, I'm guessing it's not going to be a significant issue unless it has a significant degree of impairment as measured by strength, range of motion, or pain.

This disease is so personal.

I have women tell me all the time they have Osteoporosis and they do not act nothing like me, meaning they walk without a cain and work ect.

I then ask them how many bones they have broke? Almost all tell me none. For a man to have this in his 40 and break for no good reason its totally different then a women whom gets this disease.

I know longer take any meds for this disease. I took them for such a long time I had to stop. They where not doing any good anyway.

This disease has been fighting me since I was in my 20's. It was not until I was 42 the doctors found I had this disease. I spent the next 4 years in and out of the hospital, more in then out.

I am told all the time....You look fine. I explain it like this.

You find a car that is in show room shape, but the frame is rusted in half all over the place. The car may look great, but its not worth anything, or its junk.

Actually I am a very lucky man. If it would have not been for this disease I would still to this day be working so hard there would be no time to do the things I want. It may be tough to do these things but so what, it could be worse.

Lucky for sure.
I'm sorry for the pain you have. And sorry for seeming so flippant. As a post-menopausal woman, I've had osteoporosis for about 1/3 of my life. I do not walk with a cane and make a concerted effort to never limp or wince when walking or standing. But I never jump or run any more and move very gingerly whenever my footing is the least unsteady. I have only broken an ankle once and some smaller bones. But I have lost two inches in height and anticipate that the pain in my back and hips will only increase over time.

I, too, went off the medications because the side effects were very distressing and eventually life-threatening.

Nevertheless, I fly.

This is not a dealbreaker. What breaks the deal are conseuqences of the subsequent fractures.

Last edited:
This is not a dealbreaker. What breks the deal are conseuqences of the subsequent fractures.

I just redid the seat in my airplane. Now I set about 3 inchs lower. getting out is really tough on me now. I hope to be able to keep flying for a couple more years in this plane, then I believe I will have to sell her for I will not be able to get in and out.

Becuase of these problems I have with this disease I will never fly anything but single seaters, and then only fly over fields no congested area's.

Fly Smart

Becuase of these problems I have with this disease I will never fly anything but single seaters, and then only fly over fields no congested area's.
That is certainly your choice to make, but if you really feel that this disease interferes with your ability "to operate the aircraft in a safe manner," regardless of the number of seats or what's below, you are required to ground yourself -- even for operations not requiring a medical certificate. 14 CFR 61.53 refers. I don't know of any FAA regulation or enforcement case in which the FAA decided someone was medically unfit to fly with passengers or over congested areas, but was OK to fly single-seaters over noncongested areas.

I just redid the seat in my airplane. Now I set about 3 inchs lower. getting out is really tough on me now. I hope to be able to keep flying for a couple more years in this plane, then I believe I will have to sell her for I will not be able to get in and out.

Fly Smart

This is why I hate low wings. I don't know if yours is, but man that sucks too.

That is certainly your choice to make, but if you really feel that this disease interferes with your ability "to operate the aircraft in a safe manner," regardless of the number of seats or what's below, you are required to ground yourself -- even for operations not requiring a medical certificate. 14 CFR 61.53 refers. I don't know of any FAA regulation or enforcement case in which the FAA decided someone was medically unfit to fly with passengers or over congested areas, but was OK to fly single-seaters over noncongested areas.

You are like so many others and think like a "Normal" Person or " Healthy" Person.

If something was to happen I could never take care of a passenger. Lets say I needed to remove them from the plane. We would both die for I would break trying to remove them.

I believe its the PIC duty to take care of the passenger they fly. I am barely able to take care of myself. This is why I tell anyone that asks, if they want to fly, either go buy a ticket, takes lessons buy a plane and fly themselfs. I just fly me.

I believe this is good decision making on my part, you call it whatever you want.

Fly Smart

You are like so many others and think like a "Normal" Person or " Healthy" Person.

If something was to happen I could never take care of a passenger. Lets say I needed to remove them from the plane. We would both die for I would break trying to remove them.

I believe its the PIC duty to take care of the passenger they fly. I am barely able to take care of myself. This is why I tell anyone that asks, if they want to fly, either go buy a ticket, takes lessons buy a plane and fly themselfs. I just fly me.
That does not explain your refusal to fly over congested areas.

In my experimental Operating Limitations for my aircraft it states Paragraph 8:

No operations, including take-offs and landings, shall be conducted over densely populated areas or in congested airways.

Now can these Operating Limitations be changed, I have no idea. But this is what I am stuck with. So to follow the law as best I can its best I stay out over fields and skirt towns.

Am I correct? This will be the style or size of plane I will fly. I do not see myself with anything bigger. I might go back to a highwing, I have owned a couple, but again this size of plane, single seat around 400 lbs. EAB with a POH like this one.

But the main reason...After about 1 hr of flying I am done anyway. It just takes to much out of me doing everything it takes to get my little plane into the air.

It gets my mind working, my body going but it is hard on me. One day I thought I was living in my airplane from that day on. I had to bite the bullet so to speak and pull myself out of that airplane, but I will tell you I had a big smile on my face as I was screaming in pain. I do love flying if even for only 1 hr at a time.

In my experimental Operating Limitations for my aircraft it states Paragraph 8:

No operations, including take-offs and landings, shall be conducted over densely populated areas or in congested airways.
So that has nothing to do with your medical condition. That's a change from what you implied originally when you said, "Becuase of these problems I have with this disease I will never fly anything but single seaters, and then only fly over fields no congested area's." You said nothing about the latter part being due to an Operating Limitation on the aircraft rather than a choice on your part due to "these problems I have with this disease."

Now can these Operating Limitations be changed, I have no idea.
Yes, they can, based on hours flown after completion. This limitation is typical of newly built E-AB/E-SLA aircraft. How many hours? Usually depends on the certification status of the engine, but typically 25-40 after completion. A review of the paperwork with your local FSDO or someone from your local EAA chapter should be enlightening.

So that has nothing to do with your medical condition. That's a change from what you implied originally when you said, "Becuase of these problems I have with this disease I will never fly anything but single seaters, and then only fly over fields no congested area's." You said nothing about the latter part being due to an Operating Limitation on the aircraft rather than a choice on your part due to "these problems I have with this disease."

Yes, they can, based on hours flown after completion. This limitation is typical of newly built E-AB/E-SLA aircraft. How many hours? Usually depends on the certification status of the engine, but typically 25-40 after completion. A review of the paperwork with your local FSDO or someone from your local EAA chapter should be enlightening.

The problems I have limit me to this type and style of airplane. From what I have seen all these planes have these limitations.
I copied that paragraph word for word left nothing out. No where did it say after so many hours of operation.
So yes because of my condition I am only flying single seat EAB that are allowed to only fly over non congested area's.

The problems I have limit me to this type and style of airplane. From what I have seen all these planes have these limitations.
I copied that paragraph word for word left nothing out. No where did it say after so many hours of operation.
So yes because of my condition I am only flying single seat EAB that are allowed to only fly over non congested area's.
:sigh: When you are ready to learn, let me know.

This is not a dealbreaker. What breaks the deal are conseuqences of the subsequent fractures.

Yes Bruce you hit the nail on the head. I spent the complete week of the 4th of july in bed just from moving wrong.

I just can not imagine another 20 years of this, I can not imagine another 5 years of this.

See item 6 of this.

http://members.eaa.org/home/govt/issues/samateur_built_operating.asp

As you can see, the same restriction applies to any aircraft.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back