Oskosh 2015 w/the Chief

It's mentioned in the NOTAM.

All is says is check the MKE NOTAMS. The only thing depectied is the MKE Class C airspace. Last year the TFR was a 5 mile radius centered north of Timmerman (like you just pushed the class C up the lakeshore a bit).

A buddy of mine who goes every year looked at the NOTAM and noted nothing of relevance approach wise has changed except the active MOA.

One thing he pointed out to me and said "study this page" was page 7 Fisk holding around Green lake before you reach Ripon.

If the airport's closed, or delayed, this is where you will first engage heavy traffic and stack out. We plan to have the ATIS well before Ripon and if the airport should become closed for some reason (like an accident) , we'll divert short somewhere and not go in. :sad:

Jay can tell you about circling Rush lake or whatever.

Frankly, if the airport has to close, better to do as you say and go find a place to wait on the ground a bit. It becomes a zoo in a hurry. I went up to Brennard Field (close field to OSH, but not too many people are aware of it) and parked there for a bit and listened on the radio to the zoo that persisted even after the field reopened. Figuring we might not make it before airshow time, I just tied down there and had someone run up and get us (we didn't have much with us as two of us had just come up to get fuel and take a shower).

We've been put in the hold around Rush and/Green lake a couple of times. It's no big deal, so long as it's brief.

Unfortunately, ATC doesn't always know how long it will be. Once, after an incident on the field, they kept saying stuff like "We expect the field to reopen shortly", so no one left the hold. By the end, as more and more people joined the hold, we were flying 3 abreast, and it was not comfortable.

Our rule now is twice around the lake. After that, we bug out and find a place to land.

Thanks for the discussion on the potential "holds" problems. We are expecting to make the last leg from somewhere in South Wisconsin to Osh on Sun A.M. and I will do some extra planning on leaving the hold spots and landing to wait out a significant problem if necessary. Newbies can't be too prepared.

Another question which has come to my attention: Somewhere in the EAA generated info I found reference that Sun. A.M. is one of the times that "formation" flights are sometimes scheduled for arrival. Is there an EAA or ATC planning schedule for these arrivals ? I could probably make an effort to not arrive at the same time as 40 Cessnas, Pipers, RVs or whatever. Wherever I saw it, the recommendation was simply to try to avoid coincident arrival with these groups but nothing was offered on how to avoid it. I can imagine it's a real traffic problem to get them all down but would appreciate comment.

A side note-Met an ex-Pilot this past week who just happened to hear that I was planning on this year. He made his last trip in 1988 in a Piper Colt. He is now among the many with physical infirmities which keep him grounded permanently. He just wanted to talk about how much fun I should expect to have and tell me about his last trip. I mention it here because of the tears in his eyes when we talked. He also told me there was too much to see in one visit and I wished I had a seat to offer him. He is now involved in building an all wood ultralight just to keep his hand in the game. Pilots are a different Breed.

I always plan my arrival for 7:40PM over Ripon. Everyone else crams in the mornings, but I arrange it so I'm the last guy they marshal into a spot on in the eve. It's never crowded then, so I really shouldn't give out my secret but, meh - do what you like. I also get a free night camping because the registration tents are closed up so I go in the morning and take care of it. Maybe they have one open longer now, I don't know.

Yes, the EAA does schedule the mass arrivals. They should show up on the website as we get closer. The mass arrivals fly straight-in to 36L and R. While it will decrease the rate at which arrivals can be accepted (since all Ripon arrivals are sent to 9/27 while this is happening), it doesn't really interfere with that flight path. Even the largest arrivals don't go on for that long.

So far I know:

Cessnas 2:30 Saturday July 23
Mooneys 11:00 Sunday
Bonanzas 1:00 Saturday

Back