Oskosh 2015 w/the Chief

Edgefly

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Edgefly
Seeing that the 2015 fever has gotten started, thought I'd see if I could get some planning help. The trip from Northern Pa. In my 11AC will be made
with a friend who's into avaition but not yet a Pilot. I'm planning on 1 1/2 day trip out and most likely camping in the Vintage area for whatever length of time we stay. That depends on the event schedule and our interest in what is scheduled when. If you can't tell it by now, this will be a first trip for either of us and hope can get some useful input from this inquiry-especially from experienced Vintage type attendees as well as anyone who has a reasonable input.

Dale

Can you pack enough into a Chief for two guys to camp for a span of days? I run into payload limitations in my Cherokee.

I would recommend flying in the Weekend before. I used to do it in a day in a C150 from Ohio, your Chief can't be that much slower than that!

I flew my Champ in on Monday and got parked about 3 rows from the south end of the field. It's a hassle but doable getting back and forth. Might be better to fly in earlier or even later (after a few have departed). You can get fuel there, but you could also top off a little ways out and have enough to fly back out without coordinating refueling on the field, not that that is hard.
You must absolutely bring tie-downs and use them. The trip in is quite easy - study and follow the instructions and keep your eyes and ears open and you'll be quite comfortable.

All I have to say is have fun and take lots of pictures!

I have been camping in Vintage since 1995. I've been parking aircraft in Vintage since 2000. As Jim points out the day before the show opens is probably the worst time. You'll be way down in "Fondy" as we call it (there's a sign down there that says "Fond du Lac city limits). If you show up on the weekend there will be closer spaces. Starting Wednesday we'll be working to backfill spaces that were either departures (you won't believe the number of people who come early, get their one day in of the official show and then leave) or were something like reserved "type club" spaces that become fair game at that time.

Don't be afraid to ship stuff home (my wife was rather taken aback when I shipped home my dirty laundry so I'd have more room in the plane). UPS/FEDEX drop offs are on the field.

All you really need is clothes and someplace to sleep. Everything else is available on field or shortly off (there's a Walmart just up the road). I used to cook but we gave up on that a while back. I bring wine and coffee. My wife brings (or buys at Wallywold) something for breakfast, I just eat the onsite food which has gotten better over time.

Of course, we don't even bring stuff home anymore. Many years ago several of us decided to split a storage locker just off the field. Who ever gets in first either takes their car (or borrows one from one of the locals) and goes and retrieves everything. If they're feeling particularly industrious they even set up some of the tents and stuff.

Last edited:
My advice is unless you're good at camping, don't camp. Park in the VAP and get a room at the college for ~$75 a night and ride the bus fifteen minutes to a hot shower and a restroom 50 feet away instead of 500 yards away. Camping will cost you $250 anyway ...

But that's just me.... When I was a young whipper snapper, I didn't wake up at 3:00AM and need to pee.

And I'll second or third that you get there early if you plan to camp in VAC. They placed us so far down last year you had to ride a bus to get to the trams. It was a trek for anyone but a healthy young hiker. :redface:

Last edited:
I'm getting excited for this year. Looks like I'll be coming solo and parking the Comanche with the ICS in vintage. Was there last year and it was a good location!

I liked vintage just fine, but I haven't the load carrying capacity for a week's worth of food (unless I go solo), and have difficulty eating at the show. I tend to go to the neighboring establishments for dinner, which is a long, long way from vintage.

Were it not for that I'd place the aircraft in vintage very year.

Can you pack enough into a Chief for two guys to camp for a span of days? I run into payload limitations in my Cherokee.

I would recommend flying in the Weekend before. I used to do it in a day in a C150 from Ohio, your Chief can't be that much slower than that!

Pack light and buy most of what you need when you get there. Really don't need much. A good hiking tent is very light. I can have everything I need to sleep in less than 10 lbs. I usually buy a chair when I get there and give it away when I leave.

With your diet, I imagine food would be a big problem. I just eat on the field and expect to gain 5 lbs while I'm there even though I walk all over.

I love camping at Oshkosh. With the Chief, you'll be baggage limited, but there are easy fixes for that.

First, you can mail yourself critical items like your tent. FedEx has a ship-to location on site. Later, you can use the same FedEx location to ship your stuff home. It costs $$, but in the grand scheme, it isn't a lot.

Second, for generic stuff (food, toiletries, a cooler, throw-away chairs, etc), you can catch the free buses at the travel plaza near the main entrance to the show grounds and go to Target or Wal-Mart, each of which is a 5-10 minute ride. The buses cycle every 20-30 minutes, so it is very convenient.

In recent years, I've been arriving on Saturday morning before the event officially starts. There is a little less traffic and you have time to head over to Target (or wherever) to stock up without missing anything.

Mucho fun. Enjoy.

Kyle,
With your recent arrivals on Sat morn, have ou had any problem getting a desirable camping spot in VAP ? is the allocation of paking/camping spots managed strictly by EAA or is there merit in trying to work through one of the TYPE orgs. I've looked on the EAA site but haven't managed to find anything on costs for parking/camping. Could you tell me what it was last year ? Thks.

I park in Homebuilt Camping and the area is 90% empty when I arrive around noon on Saturday. Flying Ron can probably paint a better picture of how things play out in Vintage.

As far as fees go, camping is $26/ night with a 3 night minimum. Admission is $28/ day for EAA members.

Park in the VAP and get a room at the college for ~$75 a night

Off Field:

Are there any WalMart, Target, drug stores, fast food within walking distance of the college? Some place to get snacks or a beer before turning in?

There are TONS of restaurants and bars around the dorms. There's also your typical college cafeteria operation available during that week (not bad for breakfast actually). Food and drink will not be a problem.

All the big box stores (Walmart, Target) are out on the highway. I don't know if there's shuttles from the dorms, but there is from the convention grounds. I don't even recall any local pharmacies or groceries right around the dorms. It's Wisconsin, most corners have bars on them.

Actually checking google maps it's only 2.6 miles walking from Blackhawk Commons (the dorms) to WalMart, so if you're reasonably fit...

Off Field:

Are there any WalMart, Target, drug stores, fast food within walking distance of the college? Some place to get snacks or a beer before turning in?

Oshkosh itself is not a huge city. Population 66,000. So you have to wrap your head around that kind of size town.

Nothing is very far away in OSH. There's plenty of eating and refreshments within walking distance from the dorms.

It was our first trip last summer, my son and I. We took tents and we camped a couple of nights, long enough to learn we're not campers. My son was relieved when a friend turned us onto the dorms the third night. My son said " a couple of nights would be just fine, but all week was going to be too much." I agree. :wink2:

Ron and Off Field:

I'm not a camper either. The dorms sound like a good alternative. Thanks for the info.

Don

What do they charge for the dorms?

I liked vintage just fine, but I haven't the load carrying capacity for a week's worth of food (unless I go solo), and have difficulty eating at the show. I tend to go to the neighboring establishments for dinner, which is a long, long way from vintage.

Were it not for that I'd place the aircraft in vintage very year.

We've got a slot available in our OSH Trailer, if you're interested.

It makes flying into OSH a "one-bag of clothing" affair! :)

With your diet, I imagine food would be a big problem. I just eat on the field and expect to gain 5 lbs while I'm there even though I walk all over.

I wound up gaining 5 lbs last year despite my caution and all the exercise. Oh well, at least it was worth it.

We've got a slot available in our OSH Trailer, if you're interested.

It makes flying into OSH a "one-bag of clothing" affair! :)

I'd like to take you upon that Jay, though I can't think of anything I only use for Oshkosh. Biggest problem is food. I can bring a week's worth of foodstuffs, but it's really hard to keep everything from spoiling for a week with just coolers.

I don't know...all my camping gear as well as tons of other stuff (my Oshkosh foul weather gear, etc) stays in a storage locker down by the Planeview truckstop. Still the Navion seems to be full of stuff when we come out. The only foodstuffs we bring is coffee and wine. Of course, I only have one battery-operated frozen drink machine so that has to migrate back and forth at this point.

Margery says what we do at Oshkosh isn't really camping, it's just sleeping in canvas structures for the week.

I wound up gaining 5 lbs last year despite my caution and all the exercise. Oh well, at least it was worth it.

I'd like to take you upon that Jay, though I can't think of anything I only use for Oshkosh. Biggest problem is food. I can bring a week's worth of foodstuffs, but it's really hard to keep everything from spoiling for a week with just coolers.

Well, the idea is that you purchase a tent, airbed, sleeping bag, bicycle, cooler, etc, and leave it there.

This opens the Cherokee up for you, your clothes, and a weeks worth of vegetables.
:)

The OSH trailer is stored in a farmer's barn (you've met him at our party many times) for 50 1/2 weeks per year. A day or two before Airventure, our advance team (AKA: Whomever arrives first) drags the trailer into the North 40 where everything is disgorged at their campsite.

We then all schlep our stuff over to our sites, which are usually nearby. We also have a kid trailer that attaches to a bike, not for hauling kids, but for hauling your stuff to your site. It all works well, and has made it possible for us to fly our little 2 - seat RV into OSH without sacrificing the comforts we all desire.

Like generators, microwaves, blenders, coffee makers.... lol

Generators!?!? Are you camping next to your plane with a generator?!

We're thinking we'll fly in on the Saturday two days before the start with just our clothing and light gear this year and park in the VAP, then hoof it straight to the dorm from there. Peso's can buy the rest. OSH really isn't that expensive once you get there ... :rolleyes:

Hopefully we'll get parked in the VAP nearer to the main show than we did down in the VAC 'Fon du'lac area last year. That was a hike waiting and then riding on buses, then walking to a tram. I overheard a lot of folks whining about it. We didn't care too much for it either.

If we could find a skywagon line or group up closer to the vintage barn, that'd be the bee's-knee's. :)

If I can fly a Citabria 5,600 miles from Alaska to Oshkosh at 90kts... You can do it in your Chief... :)

Went up the highway. There were lots of fuel stops.

Fun trip... Hands down, best stop along the way was Watson Lake. Spent the night by the campground on the southwest side of the field by the lake. Gorgeous view...

What was yours?

Attachments

• DSCN0804.JPG
    DSCN0804.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 29
  • DSCN0808.JPG
    DSCN0808.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0810.JPG
    DSCN0810.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 23
Fun trip... Hands down, best stop along the way was Watson Lake. Spent the night by the campground on the southwest side of the field by the lake. Gorgeous view...

What was yours?

Probably the little strip in the middle of nowhere along the Liard River that we got pushed down into.
153%2520Liard_Rvr%2520_Boil_H2O%2520crop.jpg

Probably the little strip in the middle of nowhere along the Liard River that we got pushed down into.
153%2520Liard_Rvr%2520_Boil_H2O%2520crop.jpg

Yup! I flew over that... Never stopped. I did however grab a quick bit and a stretch on a grass strip called Toad Ricer alongside the highway... That was the leg between Ft Nelson and Watson lake...

Well, the thread drift here has gotten excessive. Could we please get back to it's original intent please ?

Well, the thread drift here has gotten excessive. Could we please get back to it's original intent please ?

Frustrating sometimes, eh?

Any particular questions/issues you'd like to see discussed?

To be quite honest, we're giving you ideas for your trip in the Chief... A "win-win "

Stick to airports that apprechiate a small airplane, stay away from the "Jet Jock" FBO's... If you want the grand experience... Well worth it

Be flexible. Bring God's Own Aircraft Tiedowns. Make sure your ground cloth isn't hanging out beyond the edge of your tent, and stake it down like your life depends on it.

There WILL be a major storm during the week. It won't last long, but it will lay waste to your campsite if you're not prepared.

Park your plane on squares of 3/4" treated plywood, especially if you're going to stay all week. The ground will likely be soft, and pulling 'er out after a week will be un-fun if you don't.

Vintage is a long ways from the edge of the field, but has the advantage of being at the center of the show. This is a Catch-22 situation, in that you won't be able to easily participate in the evening festivities that often include going to the restaurants off the North edge of the field, adjacent to the North 40.

This is why I continue to park in the North 40, rather than Homebuilt. Much of our week is built around going to the restaurants and bars over there, and I'm getting too old to walk an extra 3 miles for dinner! Besides, our whole enclave of people are out there. (This will be OSH 33 in a row for us!)

Don't expect to see everything in 3 days. Break the grounds into sections, and be systematic. If you just wander aimlessly, you will wear yourself out and miss a lot. We tend to do things the same way each year, with Day One being the "must-do" things (pics at the Brown Arch, buying the patch, etc), Day 2 being Warbirds and a first walk-through of the major exhibit hangars, etc.

Wear comfy shoes that are broken in. Go for a nice, long walk after dinner each night, starting now. You will walk 3 to 5 miles each day you're there, and if you're not used to it, you will suffer.

Bathe in spray-on sunscreen. Buy a dumb floppy hat. If you wear you're usual baseball cap your ears will look like charcoal by the second day. The weather can swing wildly, from the hottest you've ever been to 48 degree rain, so bring a coat.

Get to know your neighbors. Absorb the amazing aviation ambience of being immersed in Oshkosh. Enjoy being with your kind -- for once, you won't be the oddball pilot in the crowd. Oshkosh is a state of mind that stays with me throughout the year, and inspires me to do better at my own airport.

I can't wait to go back! :)

The first year I was in the north 40 with the skyhawk, we sunk. I've never had that problem again. A few helpers (and we can ALWAYS find helpers in Vintage) can probably lift the camp out even if it is a problem.

Bringing tiedowns is a EXTREMELY good idea. While aircraft registration has a limited number available, they're not the greatest (essentially pieces of rebar). I've gone through a number of tiedowns over the years from the swingset anchors to various of the purpose build ones. I'm fond of the kind that have nails through a common anchor (I have both "The Claw" and "Stormforce" tiedowns, but there are others). I lean towards my stormforce. They're a little easier.

The giant corkscrew kind aren't much good for anything. Oshkosh soil usually will break them going in (and you can't even open wine with them as shown in some picture of Jay's party in the past).

The other thing not mentioned is get the notam (it will be up for download) and read it and understand it before you get there. The procedure is not involved, but it presumes you've bothered to read the NOTAM. I usually arrive before the NOTAM interval starts but I come and go giving rides many times during the show and I split my arrivals between the regular Ripon procedure (for those pilots who have not yet flown in but might) and some of the others (Warbirds and an unpublished one from the north).

The first year I was in the north 40 with the skyhawk, we sunk. I've never had that problem again. A few helpers (and we can ALWAYS find helpers in Vintage) can probably lift the camp out even if it is a problem.

Bringing tiedowns is a EXTREMELY good idea. While aircraft registration has a limited number available, they're not the greatest (essentially pieces of rebar). I've gone through a number of tiedowns over the years from the swingset anchors to various of the purpose build ones. I'm fond of the kind that have nails through a common anchor (I have both "The Claw" and "Stormforce" tiedowns, but there are others). I lean towards my stormforce. They're a little easier.

The giant corkscrew kind aren't much good for anything. Oshkosh soil usually will break them going in (and you can't even open wine with them as shown in some picture of Jay's party in the past).

The other thing not mentioned is get the notam (it will be up for download) and read it and understand it before you get there. The procedure is not involved, but it presumes you've bothered to read the NOTAM. I usually arrive before the NOTAM interval starts but I come and go giving rides many times during the show and I split my arrivals between the regular Ripon procedure (for those pilots who have not yet flown in but might) and some of the others (Warbirds and an unpublished one from the north).

I love the claw, stand by their product... But what's up with the rope that they include... It's crap... I wouldn't tie this to ANYTHING!

Just so this doesn't make it a drift thread, depending on when you arrive, OSH may be filled up... Plan to park at their alternate field, Fon Du Lac... I think that's how you spell it...

Last edited:
To All,
Thanks for returning to the topic !

To those who tried to help,
Many thanks for your input. Much of it is just what I hoped and it will factor into my planning. I am a many year EAA member and am aware of the web sites which offer Internet purchase of tickets,etc.,etc., but posted here since often experienced people who may have similar ( at least in some respects) backgrounds have more useful counsel than the packaged kind of info such as EAA prepares for a much wider base of potential attendees. That is why I asked my original question.

Will, of course, have the NOTAM for the event (and have read it Geico) and a little home schooling from videos representing other peoples' experience negotiating the arrival flight atmosphere. At this point, the info received has broadened my knowledge of some things others might not have considered significant and I truly appreciate the sincere effort made by those provided especially useful info. I'll be contacting some of you directly with more specific questions. Again, Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks like I may make the trip...just received a kitchen pass...my airplane has been there five times with previous owners (Stickers on the Baggage door) need to figure out the accommodation thing...

Back