OshKosh versus Sun-N-Fun

OtisAir

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
Having never (until last week) been to either OshKosh or Sun-n-Fun, I'm wondering how Sun-n-Fun compares and differs from OshKosh. Is it similar to being full of vendors, campers, aircraft, airshows, and the flying that OshKosh delivers?

I'd like to plan on flying down to Sun-N-Fun next year, and am hoping to get a clue as to what I'll see once I get down there.

:confused: If given the opportunity to go to one or the either, which would/did you choose?

Last edited:
I haven't been to OSH yet! Mary and are not into camping so that is always a factor. camping with my metal parts makes for a really gimpy me the next day, more then most days that is. We do have friends in Appleton so maybe that is a way to stay close to the action.

This year was our first trip to Sun-N-Fun. It was a good time despite me being sick all week. Our flight Journal write up on the trip. http://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2008/04/vacationsun-n-fun.html. There was plenty of vendors, airplanes, seminar/forums for just about every aspect of the hobby/addiction. The temps were a drastic change that week in florida from what our temps in Delaware had been, that took it's toll with all the walking. My metal hip needed a grease job when we got home!

Sun n Fun was nothing like Kosh IMO. Kosh was just amazing! Cant wait until next year!:goofy:

:rolleyes:I have never been to either although I want to go. From what I hear the Cheese is better at Osh and the Oranges are better at Sun -n-Fun:rolleyes:

SnF was muddier this year even though the North 40 at OSH was underwater Friday before the show. I'd guess that the number of vendors at OSH is close to twice what shows up at SnF and ditto for the airplanes on display. IMO the airshows are about the same at either location.

Never made it to SnF but someday i will, Been to Osh twice and loved it and will go again. Maybe if next year is a better year for me i'll hit both.
Dave G

Been to KOSH 6 years now, but still haven't made it to Lakeland. I'll say, though, that KOSH does have hotels and rental cars! Not that I've ever needed them :)

Personally, I prefer Sun-'n-Fun over Oshkosh. The crowd is a bit smaller, the location and time of the event is more preferable (at least for me, based on where I live and my schedule), and there seem to be less non-aviation vendors at the fly-in. It's real easy for me to grab a flight to Orlando, meet up with my dad, drive to Lakeland for the show, and stay in Tampa which is a decent distance away from the show, but not too far with a rental car.

The night airshow at Sun-'n-Fun is something you have to see in your lifetime, it's a once-a-year event that is always an excitement.

12 years running at each site (well, I did miss one OSH in that string). I prefer SNF. The major vendors are all at both.

OSH has more of the minor vendors and ancillary stuff (hangar doors, ladders, jewelry cleaners, wood models etc). OSH has the Fly Market, but I don't go there. OSH has more experimentals fly in that you can gawk at. If you camp, OSH has more convenient airplane camping. OSH has a greater variety of forums.

SNF has more convenient hotels. SNF has a better variety and quality of food on site. SNF is cheaper. It's easier to fly in to and it's easier to get demo flights at SNF. SNF isn't as crowded. SNF has more shade.

In short, SNF offers nearly all of the attributes of OSH with far better convenience and creature comforts.

Never been to OSH, have been to Sun-n-Fun twice so making the comparason is tough. Really enjoyed Sun-n-Fun (camped both times). Arrivals were "exciting" but fun and easily doable with the knowledge of the NOTAMs and arrival procedures. I do like the spring timing of Sun-n-Fun. Lots more there than I could see in 3-4 days. It's a pretty good slog in a Cherokee, especially if the weather is bad, but I guess that's also the case for OSH. The night airshow is a hoot and well worth it!!

From what I'm seeing so far, seems as though Sun-n-Fun is a somewhat smaller version of OSH.

Gary

I've been to SNF three times, most recently in 2007. Been to OSH 26 times -- just got back from the '08 edition.

SNF is what OSH was in the 1980s. Smaller, more tightly focused on aviation. It has fewer non-aviation sponsors, and is a bit slower-paced. SNF is what OSH would be if Jimmy Buffet replaced Tom Poberzney.

I mean, really -- they serve margaritas ON THE FIELD at SNF. Is that cool, or what?

:goofy:

I like both of them, but OSH is by far the larger, more prestigious affair, with many (most?) new products and aircraft trying for an "Oshkosh Rollout". With 800,000 attendees and 10,000+ aircraft, you just can't beat Airventure...

Both have crowds that are far too big for my likes.
In both locations, the nature of the crowd is different on different days. Early/midweek it's more industry people and hard core GA folks, later in the week it's more general public, look-see-ers.

Both have crowds that are far too big for my likes.
Yet you say you like Europe (as do I) and would even live there (as I would not). tis a non sequitur to be sure :dunno:

Now back to the thread... I enjoy SnF and have been about 5 times. Never been to OSH, but want to.

In both locations, the nature of the crowd is different on different days. Early/midweek it's more industry people and hard core GA folks, later in the week it's more general public, look-see-ers.

Yep. We call the weekend folks the "NASCAR crowd" -- the young bucks who come to watch the airshow, hoping to see a crash. They're the ones you have to really watch when they're around your plane, cuz some of them will put their kids up on the wing for pictures -- not understanding that a fabric wing may not support a child.

Despite my fears, however, those ignorant folks are an absolutely integral part of the Oshkosh experience. I was once one of them, attending OSH as a young man, not understanding why I was so enthused about airplanes, not knowing how to take the first steps toward learning to fly. Now that *we're* the old timers we need to suffer their presence --as the old timers of the 1980s did for us -- so that some of those ignorant guys and gals are exposed to grassroots aviation long enough for their hopes and dreams to become reality.

I've been going to SnF for 24 years. My personal opinion is it is becoming more of a trade show and air show than a fly-in. Fine, if that is what you're looking for. Though bigger, AV has become a more personal experience for me over the years.

Despite my fears, however, those ignorant folks are an absolutely integral part of the Oshkosh experience. I was once one of them, attending OSH as a young man, not understanding why I was so enthused about airplanes, not knowing how to take the first steps toward learning to fly. Now that *we're* the old timers we need to suffer their presence --as the old timers of the 1980s did for us -- so that some of those ignorant guys and gals are exposed to grassroots aviation long enough for their hopes and dreams to become reality.

Well said, Jay. :yes:

My first time to OSH I was a kid and I was with my (non-pilot) dad. I was the one who leaned waaaaay over the rope so I could touch the Voyager. :redface: I still remember a few things - I remember Leo Loudenslager's fantastic performance in the airshow. I remember the Harrier (I think that was the first year it was there?). I remember an old guy in a mobility cart complaining about how "Taildraggers'll take off on their own. These darn tri-gears, ya gotta PULL 'em off the ground!" :rofl: I remember the Coors Light Silver Bullets. I remember my dad buying us memberships so we could get on the flight line, and I remember reading every word of Sport Aviation over the next year, not knowing what a "Mode C Transponder" was and why it was such a big deal to some people. I still have those issues of Sport Aviation, too. :yes:

Back