Oshkosh or bust...trip planning

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by AGLyme, Jun 11, 2019.

1. mcdewey

mcdewey Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    mcdewey
    Also, don't pitch your tent underneath the airport beacon. They can squeak once per revolution...all night long.

If airport has a Medevac helicopter based there, prepare for the sound of turbines kicking in at 2 in the morning. (Which was actually pretty cool. Sounds like alien spacecraft coming in)

texasclouds likes this.
  2. A1Topgun

A1Topgun Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron
    Any size you want as long as it will fit within the footprint of your tie down space.

3. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    A 9 hour leg? Ouch, that's a long day. I've never sat in an aircraft that was sufficiently comfortable to do that. I'm usually done after 3. Good luck.

flyingcheesehead and tsts4 like this.
  4. Lowflynjack

Lowflynjack En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jack Fleetwood
    I've seen some pretty large tents there! They say only one tent per plane, but my friend and I always pitch two tents and I've never had an issue. Like A1Topgun said, keep it in your area.

5. SoCal RV Flyer

SoCal RV Flyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoCal RV Flyer
    One more thing....make sure you're comfortable with a fairly tight right-hand approach, in case you get routed to Runway 27. I'm gonna do a bunch of those this Sunday....first, some "imaginary" approaches at altitude in the practice area, then some actual ones at Redlands near my home drome. I just don't get enough practice with these, as my usual breakfast-hop airports are left traffic.

If you forget to pack anything, there's a WalMart that's just a tram ride and medium-length walk away.

AGLyme likes this.
  6. ytodd

ytodd Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    I have seen tents that require their own zip code in the North 40. Every year I have gone, we have pitched two tents. One a "normal" 4 person dome, and then my larger 6 person you can see in the picture below. I am a little over 6 feet tall and can stand up inside easily. You will see a huge array of tents at OSH. I doubt yours will be the largest (no offense) :)

[​IMG]

7. Banjo33

Banjo33 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Banjo33
    Haha, good to know! Mine is only 10x13 with a 6’ ceiling, but I’ve not seen any that size in any of the photos I’ve looked at and never paid that much attention when out walking around. The size is great as I can fit a queen-sized blow up mattress in it and still have room for our bags.

8. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Target is across the road from N40....it has a special section marked AIRVENTURE just for everything you forgot. It's in the same strip mall as US Bank, if you need cash. And Goodwill, so you can buy a bike for transportation during the week, then donate it back to Goodwill. There's also a grocery store in the same strip mall. Used to be a great chinese restaurant, but it closed.

9. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    Of course, if there is a "weather event", which there often is at Oshkosh those nice tall tents can easily turn into sails. Might think about sealing those seams before you go. Sucks to have your vacation ruined by everything getting wet.

flyingcheesehead and tyndall like this.
  10. George Mohr

George Mohr Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gmohr
    One note on planning: my first OSH was planned like yours. Super specific and well thought out. When it came to the flight, weather caused me to toss the entire plan out the storm window :p Don't fall in love with your plan. :)

flyingcheesehead and Grum.Man like this.
  11. Lowflynjack

Lowflynjack En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jack Fleetwood
    I have never been to OSH where I got to follow my entire plan! Last year was a fun one. I had to stop short of my planned overnight stop at Watertown and wait for several hours. On the way home, I had to divert a long way to the East. I ended up stopping in DeQueen Arkansas to spend the night and ran into an old friend, airshow great Mellissa Burns (formerly Mellissa Andrzejewski). Sometimes the unplanned stops are the best!
    [​IMG]

GRG55 and SoCal RV Flyer like this.
  12. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    You tend to meet the best people when you have to change plans. I left on a Wednesday afternoon hoping to make it all the way home but building thunder storms changed my mind. Ended up sharing an uber with two guys from AL that were about my age. We had a great night of dinning and beverages and have stayed in touch sense.

13. Gerhardt

Gerhardt En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gerhardt
    Dude! You are so unworthy!

14. George Mohr

George Mohr Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gmohr
    That's so true. We got stuck in WV overnight, and met a couple really nice guys flying an old straight tail 172. We would up caravaning on day 2 to OSH.

Lowflynjack and Grum.Man like this.
  15. Lowflynjack

Lowflynjack En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jack Fleetwood
    Trust me, I know!!

A1Topgun likes this.
  16. AGLyme

AGLyme Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew
    George, are you saying that I don't just follow the Majenta line?..; ) I am gathering that the Plan B and Plan C are developed in the plane and in the motel waiting for the rain to stop... To your point, I pulled up the OSH plan last eve in Foreflight and there were 3 separate WX events along the route. If I left yesterday, I would have made it a little less than half way. At 100 knots-ish, flying around the weather isn't an option given the size of the WX. VFR flying is a lot of strategy. Thanks for the post

George Mohr likes this.
  17. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    I'll add that my first year going I planned everything. Had check list, note pads, and all. Now I just decide the day before and throw a tent and shower supplies in the plane and blast off. It's easy enough to get supplies once you are there. When I first made plans to go I wanted to be sure I had lots of creature comforts to set up a base at the airplane camping spot. Truth is the only time I am there is to sleep at night. Too far of a walk to just go sit down for a bit, and too far back from show center to enjoy the airshow.

It all depends on what your mission is. Some people go for the friendships and parties and if that's your mission then you would do well to have a nice base camp, I go for the airplanes and action so I go prepared for portability.

mcdewey likes this.
  18. SoCal RV Flyer

SoCal RV Flyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoCal RV Flyer
    I totally overpacked my first time. My mission is really the same as yours...the tent is just a place to sleep at night. So, tent, queen size air mattress (my one real luxury), sleeping bag, pillow and some lightweight folding chairs.

On my first outing, the really cool thing I packed (I thought!) was my Coleman propane-powered coffee maker. Which seemed like a good idea until I arrived and found hot coffee available within 50 steps!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Grum.Man likes this.
  19. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    Haha yep I was all worried about being able to cook and have some luxuries. I found it much easier to just get breakfast over at the warbird area. First year I bought this huge 6 person REI tent so I could stand up and hang out in it and be comfortable. Now I just take a small 3 person tent, twin air mattress, pillow and a a sleeping bag.

SoCal RV Flyer likes this.
  20. AGLyme

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew
    I can tough anything out... except two things... I need/want strong coffee in the AM and strong beer... basically the stronger the better...like chewable... I am shopping/ reviewing a portable coffee (espresso) maker and after I perform the weight and balance I will see if I have room for the proverbial cooler with ice and strong local beer. I am coming from Connecticut and we have excellent beer made here.
    I recently bought a 3 person REI tent... set it up for the first time this week. Kind a like a 4 seat Cherokee 140 or a C 172... it’s really a 2 man tent with enough room left over for a shaving kit and iPhone. It is a perfect 3 man tent for the cast of certain of the Wizard of Oz characters

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  21. ytodd

ytodd Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    There might be coffee within 50 steps but if you like good coffee..... well good luck. I bring my jetboil and hand grinder so I can make GOOD coffee at my camp site.

AGLyme, SoCal RV Flyer and Dana like this.
  22. Dana

Dana Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    When I camp (haven't been to Oshkosh yet) I boil water on a backpacking stove and brew the coffee in a #2 Melitta one cup at a time. I like having that first cup before getting out of my sleeping bag.
    [​IMG]

GRG55, AGLyme and SoCal RV Flyer like this.
  23. SoCal RV Flyer

SoCal RV Flyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoCal RV Flyer
    Fortunately, I'm not too picky!

24. AGLyme

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew
    OSH 10 days forecast: 80's - 90 max during the day, 60's - 70 at night, no rain, 9-10 mph wind, 60% humidity. Rain Friday AM (only).
    Now, I have to check the other 900 miles to the right all the way to Connecticut.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    A1Topgun, GRG55 and Groundpounder like this.
  25. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Amanda Hugandkiss
    Looked at the same forecast myself, looks good at home and at my fuel stops too. Fingers crossed....

GRG55 and AGLyme like this.
  26. SoCal RV Flyer

SoCal RV Flyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoCal RV Flyer
    Me too. Just have to call ahead next Wednesday to all my Podunk stops to make sure they have fuel, and the pumps are working!! Gonna check off a lot of states...CA, NV, AZ, NM, NB, IL, MO, TX, and of course, WI!

AGLyme and GRG55 like this.
  27. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    That has to be the coolest picture of the month. I can't imagine too many experiences better than sipping fresh brewed, hot coffee in the morning after waking up under the wing of a Hatz biplane!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Sam D likes this.
  28. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    At OSH there's no shortage of every imaginable grade of coffee within a 5 airplane radius of most any camping spot in the North 40. Sometimes you don't even need to bring your own cup. :)

flyingcheesehead likes this.
  29. Banjo33

Banjo33 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Banjo33
    In that case, I’ll be the weird, unshaven, blood-shot eyed man walking around with a steel cup begging for coffee, lol. Please don’t call security on me, I’m harmless.

30. Lowflynjack

Lowflynjack En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jack Fleetwood
    Well, by that description, you narrowed it down to 50% of the attendees.

31. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    One of the advantages of flying a twin to OSH is they don't tail-in airplanes in the twin rows. You'll have a lot of room behind your wings to pitch your larger tent without any problem.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Banjo33 likes this.
  32. sourdough44

sourdough44 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    WI Flyer
    3CA02405-6659-43DF-894B-77C849957E30.png They have a new text line for space/arrival updates. It may be worth a try.

33. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
    I fly from OWD ma. ,the key is to stay flexible. Always be ready to divert because of weather. I usually make it with one or two stops, overnight to let the weather go by. I use a more direct route and go over the lake.

GRG55 likes this.
  34. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    UngaWunga
    Hoping to head out from NH on thursday night or friday morning. We'll see if the weather will let me.

GRG55 and Groundpounder like this.
  35. kyleb

kyleb Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    Very true. A buddy and I were headed home from Oshkosh in ~1995. It was very marginal VFR past Chicago, but as we got into the middle of Illinois, the weather got worse - low ceilings, horrible haze, and the knowledge that there was probably a cell out there that we'd stumble into with the bad visibility. Finally, we popped into the clear only to see a huge line of thunderstorms South of us that stretched from horizon to horizon from East to West. Flightwatch said "you ain't going any further today". We landed somewhere (don't remember where) and ran into a couple of women in a Christen Eagle who were headed to Oshkosh, but were not game to play MVFR, so the 4 of us caught a taxi to a local hotel. The hotel had a free happy hour for guests and we partook of that. While at the happy hour, I ran into a gentleman who had been a B-36 crewman(I'm fascinated by the B-36). He was in town for a reunion and had a bunch of pictures with him. We talked for a couple of hours while enjoying a few beers and looking at his pictures.

Funny thing, we exited the happy hour and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The FSS's prediction of "No southbound VFR today" was wrong, wrong, wrong, but overnighting somewhere in Illinois was well worth it...

flyingcheesehead and GRG55 like this.
  36. AGLyme

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew
    This will be my first time flying to OSH, and my first time flying beyond 340 miles, so big trip. The Weather thing is my big concern. A Commercial pilot pal offered to review my Flight Plan with a focus on the weather, and, (this was his suggestion) to review weather ahead of me as I was flying. I'm not shy, I truly appreciate the help. Debating leaving Thursday AM, or, before daybreak Friday and hopefully arrive at an airport an hour-ish from OSH. My flying time TOTAL to OSH is about 9.5 hours (900 miles, around west of Chicago). Next year, I will take the Lake route.
    Foreflight is assuming a 15 knots headwind at the moment. The plane flies an honest 94-100 knots at an economical power setting. I was up at the airport yesterday figuring out how to load the cockpit cover, the tent, the pad, the 55 gallons drum of sunscreen (Irish) and the 1,000 other things I need to take with me. Decided I am going to remove the 2nd seat which will give me tons of room. Removing the seat takes 1 minute fortunately.

Kent Wien and GRG55 like this.
  37. tsts4

tsts4 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Auburntsts
    The key to handling the weather on long cross countries is being patient and avoiding “get-there-itus”. If you need to land enroute to wait something out, even if it means an unplanned overnight stay, do it. OSH will still be there.

flyingcheesehead, AGLyme and GRG55 like this.
  38. JBC73

JBC73 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    JBC73
    This is too my first time flying in. Not worried about much being that we are leaving out on Friday with no set time, arrive at a local airport about 50 min from KOSH that evening. Already have hotel reservations and will depart Saturday morning with no set time other than want to arrive before the first set of Mass Arrivals. Couple of questions that have probably been asked but here goes. 1-someone told me there is a truck or cart that comes around to the campgrounds with ice, is this true? 2-What is the thought from ones who have been numerous times on departing Thursday morning vs afternoon. Seems like Thursday morning there is a huge push to get out?

GRG55 likes this.
  39. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Leave the cockpit cover at home if you need to save weight, and use a couple of those auto sunshades.
    If you are flying in alone for the first time, it'll be quieter Friday or on Saturday early am. And flying over the lush Wisconsin countryside early on a summer morning approaching OSH is really cool.
    Flying in alone can be nerve-wracking during the crazy busy times without any spotters in the plane to help.
    Reviewing weather ahead while enroute is wise. Afternoons in the mid-west the CBs can build quickly.
    My first two trips to OSH by air were 1200 nm each way in my (barely) 100 kt Cherokee. Leave early if you can, take your time, make some stops and take breaks along the way, enjoy the trip. It's part of the experience.

:yeahthat:

Arriving Saturday early is a good plan.
    Yes, there's a cart that tours the campground selling ice. Ice, and other basic supplies, are also available at the camp store on the main road in the airplane campground. It's next to the cafe where there's coffee and a hot breakfast if you're travelling/camping light.
    Departures can be backed up any time, but generally mid-week departures in the morning tend to be somewhat more civilized than the afternoon rush right after the airshow ends.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    flyingcheesehead and AGLyme like this.
  40. JBC73

JBC73 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    JBC73

Thanks. Not really sure if we are traveling light or not. It's a 182B with a 990 pound useful load and we are taking the back seat out. Since we have been the last several years but not flown in, we hope to do a lot of just getting to know people in the north 40, watch the arrivals and just take it all in vs being rushed as in years past.