Oshkosh Jambalaya/Chili Dinner at Camp Bacon

92Echo -- You mean Clow INTERNATIONAL????

Grant -- can I bring an 11 y/o w/ me or is this an adults-only party???

Thanks.

By all means, bring the 11 year old. Roasted slowly on a spit for about three hours and sliced thin they make wonderful sandwiches.

(Just kidding, I have no idea about kids; this will be my first Camp Bacon experience.)

Jim

92Echo -- You mean Clow INTERNATIONAL????

Grant -- can I bring an 11 y/o w/ me or is this an adults-only party???

Thanks.
Yes, as Andrew says, Clow Int'l.
And while most attendees are legally adults, we are very childlike. We're pilots after all! And there are other kids in Camp Bacon, though I can't guarantee they'll be at the dinner. They're welcome, though!

I'm looking for some more things to do while up there, so myself (and probably one more) are likely to drop by this as well.

I may try to make it. I'll be at Jay's party for sure though.

I will be there!!! Will have several in my group! Will have good libations as well ;) this is awesome!!!

Jamie and I will be there. What would you like us to bring apart from better weather than we had last year which looks strangely like what we're having this morning.

It'll be great to see you both again! Looks like it'll be warm and sunny Tuesday.
Not sure what you'll be able to wrangle, but fruit or something light and healthy might be welcome! Or maybe some bread. Leslie was roasting and grinding peppers for the chili last night.

I'm looking for some more things to do while up there, so myself (and probably one more) are likely to drop by this as well.

If you are looking for more things to do at Oshkosh, you aren't at Oshkosh. Reprogram your GPS. :yes:

Jim

It'll be great to see you both again! Looks like it'll be warm and sunny Tuesday.
Not sure what you'll be able to wrangle, but fruit or something light and healthy might be welcome! Or maybe some bread. Leslie was roasting and grinding peppers for the chili last night.

Hi, all! looking forward to seeing everyone on Tuesday night; the 'brand X' chili powder, a good size package of andouille, and a bigger jambalaya pot, are currently rolling on I-294 en route to OSH!

If folks are looking for things to bring, we could use beverage cups!

Thanks, Leslie

Well the stars have aligned and I'll be attending! Hopefully, Jay & Mr. Steinger will bring extra booze this year. :yes:

:rofl:

If you are looking for more things to do at Oshkosh, you aren't at Oshkosh. Reprogram your GPS. :yes:

Maybe Oshkosh, NE.

Grant, et al, we broke down yesterday in Kearney, NE and it's pretty unlikely we'll make it to OSH by Tuesday night. Will know more Monday, after we have a number of conversations with various diesel mechanics both the locals and ours back home...

Maybe Oshkosh, NE.

Grant, et al, we broke down yesterday in Kearney, NE and it's pretty unlikely we'll make it to OSH by Tuesday night. Will know more Monday, after we have a number of conversations with various diesel mechanics both the locals and ours back home...
How close to where you broke down last time? Have you considered Southwest Airlines? Or your 182?

How close to where you broke down last time? Have you considered Southwest Airlines? Or your 182?

Four of five on OSH trips.

Trip 1: Cessnas2Oshkosh during Sloshkosh year. Airplane never made it to the field.
Trip 2: Flight in 182 with co-owner. Only successful trip.
Trip 3: Flight with a friend in the 182. Busted a plug wire on a Saturday in North Platte, left the airplane for repairs and drove rental car back to DEN, then we decided we couldn't stand it and drove straight through with the Yukon, camped in Scholler, friend dropped me off in North Platte to recover the airplane on the way home.
Trip 4: Successfuly made it to OSH and back with the fifth wheel, blew a head gasket on the way home due to some interesting and questionable mechanical work on the diesel truck by the first owner. Truck still pulled fine on five cylinders, and we learned the coolant leak that looked like it was coming from the water pump, was actually a head gasket.
Trip 5: Appears we blew the venerable Bosch VP44 on the truck when we got off I-80 at Kearney to make a noontime WalMart stop for final provisions. Blocked 23rd for 40 minutes waiting for a tow truck, met a nice cop named Ssesna (ironic), and here we sit... The search for a properly rebuilt Bosch starts in a couple of hours.

One plus of not having a Class C or Class A RV is the ability to split the rig and use the trailer while the truck is at the shop. The RV is pretty comfy and way better than a roach motel.

Watching the morning news. Always entertaining being in a small enough TV market that two major networks share a transmitter, and all the TV personalities are in their 20s. Heh. Time to make coffee and hop in the shower in a few minutes, then call a cab to go chat with the service place and grab a rental car or see if they'll do a loaner.

Really roughing it here. TV, a few DVDs from RedBox, made tacos last night, going to fire up the coffee pot, hot shower, comfy bed, recliners, listened to LiveATC from OSH all day.

2996b033feb4fb36b7231ac0c866352d.jpg

The news ticker says there were "two counts of strong [sic] armed robbery" somewhere in central Nebraska this weekend. Haha.

Edit: updated list 13:20 Tues.
If anyone is looking for something to bring, our shopping list currently includes:
- corn bread
- ice

Also appreciated would be salads, bread/cheese, deserts (fruit salad?)

We already have:
- jambalaya
- chili
- margarita (just to set expectations, NOT my usual recipe)
- 2 Kringles (Jay will probably have one of those himself
- 3 gal homebrew beer
- 1 case beer
- soda
- bourbon
- rum
- pre-mixed Long Island

We're expecting around 50 people, and the weather is looking great!

Last edited:
Um, would it be too much to ask the location of the party tonight? Lol

Camp Scholler is bigger than Fond du Lac now, so without a detailed location finding you on our bikes won't happen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a pecan kringle, don't know if I'm #2 or 3 but we won't do without. Any left overs can always be taken back to Jay's camp for HOPS party tomorrow, assuming they survive the day.

Also have red cups. Now just have to find our way over there from the way SE part of camp.

For those as confused as we are, here is Grant's somewhat cryptic directions to the party, from another thread:

Were in Camp Bacon, South end of Forest Home.

So my transportation has been limited, AND I forgot that there is no bus that runs to target past 1130. So I walked to the convenience store to get a 12 pack of leinenkugelz and bag of chips. Now on a taxi heading that way

Great meeting you all tonight. Wish I could have stayed later. Thanks again.

Last edited:
It was a wonderful party, Grant and Leslie, and it sure was fun seeing everyone again. Mary, Becca, Sierra and I really enjoyed ourselves.

Hope to see y'all again tomorrow!

I have a pecan kringle, don't know if I'm #2 or 3 but we won't do without. Any left overs can always be taken back to Jay's camp for HOPS party tomorrow, assuming they survive the day.

Also have red cups. Now just have to find our way over there from the way SE part of camp.
OMG, that kringle was awesome -- thanks for bringing it! It was literally a little slice (okay, a big slice) of home for Mary and me.
:)

Much thanks to Grant and Leslie for another great feast! Sorry I didn't get to meet everyone as we had to run to another location to say hi to my chapter folks. Did get to meet BFlynn and said hi to Dave Theisen, Professor Weinstein, Grant, Leslie and Greg. Saw Jay and Mary, but didn't get to say hi, sorry.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by the party! Was fantastic to see everyone again, a true group effort and success!

And, in keeping with tradition, I do not cook breakfast on Wednesday morning..... Time for 'cooler specials' and trail mixes, leftover Kringle, etc.

The fun flip side -definitely the first time I've had this many guys come up to me and say, "thanks again for last night" ;)

Leslie

For those as confused as we are, here is Grant's somewhat cryptic directions to the party, from another thread:

Were in Camp Bacon, South end of Forest Home.

It's late now, but did you look at the map I provided on the first post of this thread? LOL

Jay has a hard time finding things that don't have a lighted dildo flying above a Texas flag over them. ;)

(LOL!!! - What goes at OSH stays at OSH!)

What a great bunch! Thank you Leslie & Grant and all for hosting the Camp Bacon get together!

Jay has a hard time finding things that don't have a lighted dildo flying above a Texas flag over them. ;)

(LOL!!! - What goes at OSH stays at OSH!)
Hmmm. That comment needs some explanation. ;)

We wanted a light on top of our flagpole at the campsite, so we could be easily found in the dark. We found a cheap ($1.50!) internally lit syrofoam tube in the Fly Market that we attached with duct tape. It has three colored LEDs, works great, but (pilots being pigs, of course) half the people say it looks like a giant tampon, while the other half say it looks like a Texas-sized dildo.

Either way, it looks pretty awesome in the dark...
:)

Many thanks to Grant and Leslie for a wonderful get together. Seeing all my pals is always the highlight of my visit to Oshkosh.

The funny thing is this was my 13th Oshkosh (I believe). I am not boasting in any way, I know lots of folks who've attended far more years than I. But I am amazed that it hasn't gotten old. Most things that I do year after year do. I suspect that the opportunity to mingle with such exceptional people is truly the reason why.

Back