Oshkosh Jambalaya/Chili Dinner at Camp Bacon

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
WHAT: The annual PoA/Babes/BaconFest where we all conspire to get Jay so wasted he still complains years later.

WHEN: Tuesday evening after the air show, as in years past.

PROVIDED: We provide jambalaya (andouille sausage, shrimp, chicken, rice, vegetables, and spice) and chili. (We have the vegetarians well covered, just ask Steingar). We may just possibly have some margaritas. There will be a limit on how many you can have, except for Jay, who will be attesting to why we have a limit! (China would be too, but he'll be absent this year.)

BRING: You provide libations (beer and soda goes with both dishes, wine not as much; sparkling wine goes with everything) French bread, cheese, crackers, bacon, chips, salsa, hummus, guacamole, desert, fruit, veggies or whatever you wish to provide. If you can't bring something, come any way! We understand how hard it is to schlep stuff around the grounds. If you want to drop something off in the morning, that works too.

Bringing chairs is a good idea, but there will be some around, too.

WHERE: same place as last year, Camp Bacon in Camp Scholler. Go out the fly mart in the southwest corner, next to the Red Barn Camp Store. Walk a block south on FOREST HOME. You'll see a WiFi station on the northwest corner at Lindbergh. We're the group on the southeast corner. The food will be near the big green 10-person tent.

On the map attached, I've put a large star at the approximate location of Camp Bacon. We're kitty-corner southeast from that, on the south side on Lindergh between Forest Home and 48th.

COST: free! Yes, there is a hat for donations because some have asked, but they are totally voluntary!

PLEASE RESPOND ON THIS THREAD IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO COME AND IF YOU'LL BE BRINGING ANYTHING SO PEOPLE CAN GAUGE QUANTITIES! Last year we had about 35 people DESPITE having to suspend cooking for a while while we all sheltered from a storm! And there's a big white sturdy tent to provide shelter should that happen again!

Attachments

• CampBacon.png
    CampBacon.png
    512.3 KB · Views: 793
We might be able to drop by late, have to got to the Chapter President's reception. It would be nice to say hi to everyone though.

I of course will be there, and I'll try to bring some of the yummies made in the kitchens of Steinholme. Has to be something I can schlep over three states and keep from spoiling at the campground. I am however thinking already.

We'll try to make it. We'll bring some plane perfect party favors if we do.

I knew it! I knew you did that on purpose! ;)

Mary, Becca, and I will endeavor to make the cross-field trek, as always. Make sure you have adequate ice, and I will make sure to stick to beer... :)

Wouldn't miss it for the world, Grant. Karen and I will be there.

Holler if you would like us to assist with anything at all. We learned last year that ice cream bars go over pretty well later in the evening as a dessert around the camp, and don't seem to be too bad with beer and other libations, so I'm planning on having a supply on hand.

Or whatever folks want...

I'm there...will bring green folding stuff unless I can get to the grocery store during the air show.

We'll be attending (3). And will try to figure out a way the schlep some SF sourdough out...

Grant ...

Cyndi and I will be there but we are bringing some bland stuff as Miss C has a tender tummy and it may be too far between portapotties to avoid an embarassing incident.

I had thought about bringing some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as it is brewed just down the road, but that stuff is nation wide now. A bottle of good wine from the local winery in town may be the choice. I'd bring some gold but the streams are too high and cold right now for good placer mining.

Jim

I'd like to make it if I can, I'm just not sure of my schedule yet. Say hi if you stop by the Pilatus display, I'll be there all week.

I'd like to make it if I can, I'm just not sure of my schedule yet. Say hi if you stop by the Pilatus display, I'll be there all week.

Cool. The Pilatus is Leslie's lottery airplane. We stop by the display every year.

Grant, I won't be able to be there for dinner, but hope to stop by afterwards. I'm taking a performer out to dinner that night, but will be back after 2100.

I will be there flying solo. Not sure what I will drag along, but something tasty and local from Racine or thereabouts.

I will be there flying solo. Not sure what I will drag along, but something tasty and local from Racine or thereabouts.
If you bring a pecan kringle from O&H bakery in Racine, I will give you a free tshirt.

Wait. You'll get that anyway. How about free beer? lol

I will give it a go on the Racine pecan...if you give it a go on Saint Arnold, Jester King or 512 ;)

If you bring a pecan kringle from O&H bakery in Racine, I will give you a free tshirt.

Wait. You'll get that anyway. How about free beer? lol

I'll also be driving through Racine - how about two kringles? Do we have to split the beer or can we each have our own?

I'll also be driving through Racine - how about two kringles? Do we have to split the beer or can we each have our own?
Well, now, TWO pecan kringles? Be still, my heart!

Of course, we will have to keep them carefully hidden, lest the unwashed masses scarf them down like just another dessert. Kringle is to be savored with eyes tightly closed, in a quiet space, preferably with a hot cup of coffee (morning) or a big glass of whole milk (evening)...

For those of us from Racine, kringle is a religious experience.
:)

Last edited:
I've heard there's a propane fueled oven in camp bacon...

More than one if you count the ones that work inside the RVs. :)

The one outside kinda works... And makes enough bacon smoke that it keeps some of the bugs away. ;)

Grant & company go way out of their way with hospitality, friendship, exceptional food ( I saw several licking their plates) adult beverages, and good times at this OSH event.

This is what OSH is all about! :cheers:

Put me down for next year! :happydance:

Last edited:
Well, now, TWO pecan kringles? Be still, my heart!

For those of us from Racine, kringle is a religious experience.
:)

Wait, wait, WAIT. Is this Racine the city or Racine the Chicago street? If Chicago, there is a bakery that carries them a few blocks from my office. If the city, I hit the Woodmans in Racine on the way up for my camping fixings. But, the Woodman's one is the one I brought last year, and let's leave it as I heard it wasn't up to par ;) So, Racine bakery, on Archer, no?

We really should be crapping up your party thread and not Grant's, but oh well. :)

Okay, so Grant, I got a Belgian style Dubbel, and some pastry on the down low., speakeasy style. Jay, summer ale. And y'all gotta give me some crap, as that Tuesday is my birthday.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Wait, wait, WAIT. Is this Racine the city or Racine the Chicago street? If Chicago, there is a bakery that carries them a few blocks from my office. If the city, I hit the Woodmans in Racine on the way up for my camping fixings. But, the Woodman's one is the one I brought last year, and let's leave it as I heard it wasn't up to par ;) So, Racine bakery, on Archer, no?

We really should be crapping up your party thread and not Grant's, but oh well. :)

Okay, so Grant, I got a Belgian style Dubbel, and some pastry on the down low., speakeasy style. Jay, summer ale. And y'all gotta give me some crap, as that Tuesday is my birthday.

Jay,
Is this the place?
http://www.ohdanishbakery.com/store-locations
or this one? http://www.kringle.com/index.lasso (address is on the bottom of the page)

Last edited:

Racine, City of.

O&H Bakery (the original location is on Douglas Avenue, but they now have several outlets in town) is The One to shop.

Pecan and raspberry kringle are the best, IMHO, but they have dozens of flavors.

Grant, I just staked out my camp site in the eastern edge of Paul's Woods this morning, so I shouldn't be too far from you.

Grant, I just staked out my camp site in the eastern edge of Paul's Woods this morning, so I shouldn't be too far from you.
You're already THERE?

Augh, you suck. There are 12,324 steps before I can leave...and I'm on Step 125.
:(

Well, I'm at home right now. I just drove up to stake my claim. I'll be camping on the 17th.

Since I don't own a plane and can't take my rental to EAA, I figure I'm spending a fraction of an AMU compared to folks flying in from distant states.

Since I don't own a plane and can't take my rental to EAA, I figure I'm spending a fraction of an AMU compared to folks flying in from distant states.

You've got that right. It will cost us about $400 just in gasoline to drive from Sacramento to OSH. It would have cost about $1800 just in gasoline to fly the 182. Duh, which should I do?

Jim

You've got that right. It will cost us about $400 just in gasoline to drive from Sacramento to OSH. It would have cost about $1800 just in gasoline to fly the 182. Duh, which should I do?

Jim
Fly. Sell what you must.

I once sold my plasma to fly. :)

Grant - bummer! We are arriving Wednesday and will miss the party! Oh well... guess I'll just have to see you around Clow...

92Echo -- You mean Clow INTERNATIONAL????

Grant -- can I bring an 11 y/o w/ me or is this an adults-only party???

Thanks.

92Echo -- You mean Clow INTERNATIONAL????

Grant -- can I bring an 11 y/o w/ me or is this an adults-only party???

Thanks.

Yes, Clow Int'l! It's a sprawling airport undergoing a substantial runway expansion with a world class dining option and first-class service!!

Lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back