Oshkosh Accident today?

sourdough44

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
WI Flyer
The field is closed due to an 'incident'. I hope it turns out O.K.

Reportedly on departure.

Last edited:
Troy gave me some details. I will share what he said and he can update when he has a chance.

Breezy. Demo ride. Botched landing
decided to go around, veered toward armored vehicles
Pitched up to avoid the vehicles, hit a vehicle near the tail, pitched down sharply.

2 taken to hospital. no word on their condition.

From Troy:

"mistakenly reported by some tweets to be in the warbirds area.
That is NOT accurate. He hit the National Guard vehicles north of the Cloud 9 building on the east side of 18/36"

"Bagpipers are playing TAPS live"

oh man...

"Planes are flying again using 9/27"
"counted over 100 planes in the line"

Someone dies in a plane crash at Osh every year. It's par for the course.

Dang. I just came in on 36R around 9 this morning. Must have happened not long after that.

I don't know if it happens at OSH every year, but yes every year there is a fatal aircraft incident directly related to OSH arrival or departure aircraft. 13,000+ airplanes, countless aircraft operations...one is bound to hear about someone not making it home.

Is this true?

Two so far this year. No fatalities yet, thank goodness!
Roush was one of the more exciting ones. Will never forget him just leaping out of the plane and leaving a lady inside, real nice Jack...

Breezy -- One of the victims, a 74-year-old Kentucky man, was listed in critical condition at Theda Clark Medical Center in Neenah. An update was not available on the other victim.

Female passenger in serious condition, according to my news source on the field. I hate to hear critical condition, but based on the earlier "taps played live" report it sounds like things might be slightly better than I initially feared.

Two so far this year. No fatalities yet, thank goodness!

I haven't been paying attention, was the First one the RV that collapsed the nose gear during a gusty landing on 09 or was there another one?

I watched that one happen from N40, bummer, but only looked like pride and plane were damaged. :confused:

I haven't been paying attention, was the First one the RV that collapsed the nose gear during a gusty landing on 09 or was there another one?

I watched that one happen from N40, bummer, but only looked like pride and plane were damaged. :confused:

That is a shame. Glad no one was hurt!

An RV went down a few miles to the west of Oshkosh by a campground yesterday. Two injured.

Prove it.

Sorry I'm at work and don't have the time. If you get bored sometime just check out the NTSB accident data base at dates around the Oshkosh convention anywhere in the country and you will find a death of someone who was either going there or coming back.

For example everyone knows about the two guys who got into some wake turbulence last year in the Chicago area and went down. But did you know about this one?

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20130730X91402&key=1

Read the report. This was in Indiana but they were on their way to Oshkosh.

I agree with Ted. Every year at least one person dead. I would go further and say probably up to five a year.

Welcome to Oshkosh :D

It is worth it though. To do at least once that is.

Prove it.
If you count to and from around the country it certainly is true. Direct Osh vicinity dunno. That many flights/hours and someone has to die. The big motorcycle rallies are the same, someone ain't going home alive. Just the way it is.

I was listening to the liveatc feed earlier today, they were not taking VFR arrivals at the time I was listening on the one runway (sorry, don't recall which).

Sorry I'm at work and don't have the time. If you get bored sometime just check out the NTSB accident data base at dates around the Oshkosh convention anywhere in the country and you will find a death of someone who was either going there or coming back.

For example everyone knows about the two guys who got into some wake turbulence last year in the Chicago area and went down. But did you know about this one?

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20130730X91402&key=1

Read the report. This was in Indiana but they were on their way to Oshkosh.

I agree with Ted. Every year at least one person dead. I would go further and say probably up to five a year.

Welcome to Oshkosh :D

It is worth it though. To do at least once that is.

The assertion is; "Someone dies in a plane crash at Osh every year."

It doesn't matter where you are, it doesn't matter what you're doing, it doesn't matter how much time you have available. No proof exists because it is not true.

The assertion is; "Someone dies in a plane crash at Osh every year."

It doesn't matter where you are, it doesn't matter what you're doing, it doesn't matter how much time you have available. No proof exists because it is not true.

It does. Give me a year. Any year. And I will produce deaths for you. This is anywhere going to or coming from Osh. A fiery death in front of adoring spectators at Oshkosh itself? No... But people die going there and coming from. Every year.

If you count to and from around the country it certainly is true. Direct Osh vicinity dunno. That many flights/hours and someone has to die. The big motorcycle rallies are the same, someone ain't going home alive. Just the way it is.

To and from around the country doesn't count. The assertion is; "Someone dies in a plane crash at OSH every year." It isn't true.

To and from around the country doesn't count. The assertion is; "Someone dies in a plane crash at OSH every year." It isn't true.
OK. Waiting for that person that just has to look it all up to tell us how many years there is a fatal right on the OSH airport. Guessing >50%

It does. Give me a year. Any year. And I will produce deaths for you. This is anywhere going to or coming from Osh. A fiery death in front of adoring spectators at Oshkosh itself? No... But people die going there and coming from. Every year.

The assertion is; "Someone dies in a plane crash at Osh every year." That is not anywhere going to or coming from OSH, that is strictly at OSH.

Vince, Ted said someone dies in a plane crash AT osh every year. He did not say related to Osh. So depending upon the wording you can both be right.

Vince, Ted said someone dies in a plane crash AT osh every year. He did not say related to Osh. So depending upon the wording you can both be right.

We'll call it a draw and move on. ;)

Counting people flying to/from OSH is absurd. Those people would have been flying somewhere else, and gone down just as surely.

I've been here 32 times, I'm here right now, and can count fatalities at the show on one hand. It is a very safe event.

I will bet a nickel that there are more fatalities in the Camp Scholler crowd, driving to/from OSH.

Counting people flying to/from OSH is absurd. Those people would have been flying somewhere else, and gone down just as surely.

No they wouldn't have been flying this distance necessarily.

Don't tell me Oshkosh is more safe than the other kind of flying we do usually. I flew the approach and did the departure. There were an awful number of planes out there. Lots of planes in a confined area. And there was definitely also more traffic out there hundreds of miles away. It was a lot more busy than usual.

Not to derail the thread, but I was at OSH yesterday, saw on the news a plane crashed in a corn field...looked like an RV, bent up pretty bad...never heard anything else about it...

No they wouldn't have been flying this distance necessarily.

Don't tell me Oshkosh is more safe than the other kind of flying we do usually. I flew the approach and did the departure. There were an awful number of planes out there. Lots of planes in a confined area. And there was definitely also more traffic out there hundreds of miles away. It was a lot more busy than usual.
What makes (and keeps) OSH safe is the NOTAM'd procedures. I've been to little pancake fly-ins that were much scarier, simply because people were free-lancing everything.

Back