Oshkosh 2022 Group Parking/Camping Headcount

Well, sorry that this tradition "annoys" you. I am annoyed by skinny jeans, brown shoes with little boy blue suits (Frank Zappa let us all know how lame THAT is), pilots who use "knots" as a unit of distance, pilots who can't fly a railroad track at a set altitude, and the designated hitter. MLB is dead to me.
You may have misread my tone. But what do you have against the designated hitter? He's usually a decent guy, just working for a living. Or did you mean that you are annoyed by the designated hitter rule? :)

Got our tent. Checks 2 big boxes. No sun at 6 am. Easy setup. Fits someone 6 feet tall.

It's not your first tent, so you probably already did this, but always set up a new tent at home first, to make sure it has no obvious, critical defects, and it has all of the necessary bits and pieces for set up. Seal the seams while it is set up, and give it time for the solvent smell to dissipate.

Although it is comedy gold to watch someone arrive at a campsite in a driving rain and unbox a brand-new tent with no idea of how to set it up. Especially if it is missing a pole.

You may have misread my tone. But what do you have against the designated hitter? He's usually a decent guy, just working for a living. Or did you mean that you are annoyed by the designated hitter rule? :)

I remember when the DH rule came to the American League. I was fine with it since my team (STL) was not affected. Now I could not tell you the names of a majority of the Cardinal's players. But it does free up my summers now for other things until football starts.

And it's always been a 30-minute walk from SOS Brothers I'm guessing in the grand scheme of things if I park in vintage it will be less walking over all

I think that's right. And it's especially right if your Oshkosh life is like mine and is focused on Boeing plaza, home built, vintage and ultralights. If you are more of a warbirds, scholler, sos bros, fly-in theater or workshops person then you won't save as many steps by being in vintage.

Plus yodeling. ;)

I think that's right. And it's especially right if your Oshkosh life is like mine and is focused on Boeing plaza, home built, vintage and ultralights. If you are more of a warbirds, scholler, sos bros, fly-in theater or workshops person then you won't save as many steps by being in vintage.

Plus yodeling. ;)

My Osh life is more of just wandering around aimlessly and asking people about their planes and hanging out with friends @ S.O.S.
However with the wife attending, the bathroom / shower situation is higher on the priority list.

It looks like Vintage has the flatbed showers and restrooms which I have found to be significantly cleaner and more usable after dark then the port-a-potties by the fence in the N40 where I usually end up.
If one was solo and heading back to the N40 late at night, it would be quite easy hypothetically to shed one's extra water weight enroute back to the tent say on or around runway 27 where there are no observers around.

My first officer is going to want something a little less unsportsmanlike.

It's not your first tent, so you probably already did this, but always set up a new tent at home first, to make sure it has no obvious, critical defects, and it has all of the necessary bits and pieces for set up. Seal the seams while it is set up, and give it time for the solvent smell to dissipate.

Although it is comedy gold to watch someone arrive at a campsite in a driving rain and unbox a brand-new tent with no idea of how to set it up. Especially if it is missing a pole.
Its not my first tent, OSH and otherwise, but I do like living dangerously. It is the first tent made in Bangladesh though so I am having second thoughts. It is in the hangar and free-time between now and then though is scarce. Hmmm. Get on the groupme chat and I will announce when construction begins so laughter can ensure.

My Osh life is more of just wandering around aimlessly and asking people about their planes and hanging out with friends @ S.O.S.
However with the wife attending, the bathroom / shower situation is higher on the priority list.

It looks like Vintage has the flatbed showers and restrooms which I have found to be significantly cleaner and more usable after dark then the port-a-potties by the fence in the N40 where I usually end up.
If one was solo and heading back to the N40 late at night, it would be quite easy hypothetically to shed one's extra water weight enroute back to the tent say on or around runway 27 where there are no observers around.

My first officer is going to want something a little less unsportsmanlike.
Needs simply work on her aim…

When I first started going to fly-ins, I thought I'd be tough. I got a 1-man tent, you know, like a coffin! I didn't set it up at the house, got to Reklaw, where it was going to freeze overnight. Pulled the brand new tent out of the box and... no poles! Luckily someone was driving into town where I could go to Walmart and get a two-man dome tent!

Now I have an amazing 6-man tent that I love. However, it was a little cramped with me and my girlfriend and all of our stuff for a week at Oshkosh last year so I just bought an 8-man version of the same tent on Amazon Prime day deals for $107! I see it's back up to $187 now. I'll set it up tomorrow and waterproof it.

Good point. Vintage has the best shower situation of anyplace I've camped at Oshkosh.

When preparing to "rough it" at Oshkosh. Keep in mind...Target is across the street. Your experience will be akin to Michael going Man vs. Wild in The Office.

When preparing to "rough it" at Oshkosh. Keep in mind...Target is across the street. Your experience will be akin to Michael going Man vs. Wild in The Office.
Ehhhhh, Target and Pick N Save are a bit of a hike if you're on the South side of the N40 or anywhere else. Luckily there are usually nice folks on golf carts and buses/vans that take you around the N40 perimeter though you can't count on it. The Red Barn stores in the camping areas are really making it more convenient these days.
Plenty of people have been SOL when the storms hit and destroy tents and Target is picked clean of camping gear. I've helped plenty of people in the aftermath with duck tape and tent pole fix-it kits. The beauty is that if there's a need chances are good your neighbors/the community will pitch in and get you taken care of. That's one of the awesome things camping at Oshkosh.

Ehhhhh, Target and Pick N Save are a bit of a hike if you're on the South side of the N40 or anywhere else. Luckily there are usually nice folks on golf carts and buses/vans that take you around the N40 perimeter though you can't count on it. The Red Barn stores in the camping areas are really making it more convenient these days.
Plenty of people have been SOL when the storms hit and destroy tents and Target is picked clean of camping gear. I've helped plenty of people in the aftermath with duck tape and tent pole fix-it kits. The beauty is that if there's a need chances are good your neighbors/the community will pitch in and get you taken care of. That's one of the awesome things camping at Oshkosh.

The Target Shuttle (school bus with a Target sign hung on it and originates in the Bus Park along with all of the other shuttles) runs roughly every 30-45 min. The route traces the perimeter of N40 with an official stop at the N40 registration area, although when I've ridden it they've stopped for pickups and drop offs pretty much anywhere on the published route.

The beauty is that if there's a need chances are good your neighbors/the community will pitch in and get you taken care of. That's one of the awesome things camping at Oshkosh.
Couldn't agree more, we had people in tents in our RV when the storm hit last year.

I noticed HBC got some of the newer shower trailers as well. They are nicer than the old trailers (and the concrete shower buildings). These have decent flow hot/cold adjustable water that stays on rather than the sink nozzles the others use.

I noticed HBC got some of the newer shower trailers as well. They are nicer than the old trailers (and the concrete shower buildings). These have decent flow hot/cold adjustable water that stays on rather than the sink nozzles the others use.

HBC’s got a pretty sweet setup IMO. Not only the newer shower trailers which they’ve had for at least 4-5 years now, but a bathroom trailer with flush toilets situated right next to the awesome HBC pavilion. On the opposite side of pavilion you can buy ice.

HBC’s got a pretty sweet setup IMO. Not only the newer shower trailers which they’ve had for at least 4-5 years now, but a bathroom trailer with flush toilets situated right next to the awesome HBC pavilion. On the opposite side of pavilion you can buy ice.

Whoa. They've made some improvements since I was last there in '08-'09ish. I think that was the year that they expanded HBC into some of the car parking area. Don't remember if there were shower trailers there yet or not. It was a smallish area at the time.

Anyone still wanting to meet up at an airport prior to joining OSH arrival to be able to arrive together to camp in the same area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone still wanting to meet up at an airport prior to joining OSH arrival to be able to arrive together to camp in the same area?
I am aiming for Thursday the 21st early afternoon. But, I am currently 4000 miles away, so this is closer to hope than a solid plan. Will report back in Thursday.

Last edited:
I'll be in the area late Thursday to Scholler. I'm thinking of not pushing it and getting a hotel (way) down the road and coming in Friday morning. Will depend on traffic and time, if I think I can get in and set up before sunset, I'll shoot for Thursday

We are doing the dorms this year. Plan to arrive late Thursday. I’ll have my POA shirt on Friday. Hope to meet folks in person

Picking up a case of Blue Moon and Coffee Cake loaves from Costco to have to share. Flying in Saturday!

Gonna finally be flying a plane capable of 135kts. Bad form to fly the 2,300/135kt arrival even though I -could- do 90kts?

At $190/hr my wallet is talking to me...

Gonna finally be flying a plane capable of 135kts. Bad form to fly the 2,300/135kt arrival even though I -could- do 90kts?

I dunno, but great avatar pic! :happydance:

yes, bad form. IAW with the NOTAM, the high arrival is for aircraft that can’t comfortably operate at 90 KTS. IOW just because your plane is capable of 135 KTS or better doesn’t mean you should fly the high arrival, it’s how well can you and the plane handle 90 that should determine which arrival to fly.

Theres a 20 page thread on beechtalk about this EVERY year. Bonanzas are REAL fast, you see...

Theres a 20 page thread on beechtalk about this EVERY year. Bonanzas are REAL fast, you see...
I was watching the ADSB Exchange feed and listening on LiveATC when the arrival went live and of course very near the beginning of the line was a flight of two V-tails at 2300 :)

That’s funny, considering in 2019 I got behind a Bo at 1,800 doing 80kts. Sigh. 1 unplanned lap around Green Lake...

That’s funny, considering in 2019 I got behind a Bo at 1,800 doing 80kts. Sigh. 1 unplanned lap around Green Lake...

Knowing what units your airspeed indicator is marked in is hard.

Well this year is sounding no different than any others on the Fisk arrival. Idiots and ruh-tards abound and inbound!
I don't know if I'm just triggered against Bonanzas from the Beechtalk thread @Jim K mentioned or what but...to the old fart in the Bonanza who showed up at 2:15PM today and was getting ****y with the Fisk controller because he was unaware (surprise!) the arrival procedure was active already, I hope you got parked in the most southern part of the S40.

Bo Driver: In a snotty tone - "Well what altitude and speed would you like us at over Green Lake and Fisk?"
Fisk Controller: I didn't quite catch it but I think the Fisk controller mentioned he should be following the arrival procedure
Bo Driver: "I'm aware of the arrival procedure but it's not supposed to be active at this time. I can do <insert impressive & amazingly fast cruise speed of a Bonanza here/> knots."

I squeaked my way in between two aircraft today. Plenty of spacing to start but the guy behind me was going faster, I was around 93 to keep him out of my tail, and the guy in front slower. Right at Fisk, ATC turned them both to 36 and sent me to 27. Got momentarily confused because the first guy, a Cherokee, turned to 36 called up 27 ATC for his landing clearance. They cleared him to 36, the cleared a Cherokee to 27. A beat later I figured this controller hadn’t understood the travesty of calling my Mooney that but I accepted the clearance and greased it on the green dot.

Arrived yesterday - it does not seem as full. Scholler had space, but not good space. Still, no tents anywhere near Stitts yet, I even saw a spot in Aubrey’s Park. Airplane parking wasn’t up to the bathhouse yet.

Maybe people not coming In early. Maybe indicates lower attendance.

Arrived yesterday - it does not seem as full. Scholler had space, but not good space. Still, no tents anywhere near Stitts yet, I even saw a spot in Aubrey’s Park. Airplane parking wasn’t up to the bathhouse yet.

Maybe people not coming In early. Maybe indicates lower attendance.

Literally 10 seconds after I read this, I heard OSH Tower tell someone that he is running North Arrival Tower, North Departure Tower, and Ground because they haven't had as many early arrivals as they expected to need to split it up.

please update early and often for us slackers who couldn't attend tyvm :)

Back